Author Topic: MP4 not working  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Websitescenes

• Confirmed
    • WebsiteScenes
MP4 not working
« on: January 14, 2015, 04:19:15 AM »
Hello, Just received my Magic Pie 4 today, charged the battery plugged it in and no lights came or sign of life..  :-\

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hunt

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MP4 not working
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 12:31:09 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

You didn't mention which battery you are using or whether if has a key switch, so I'm going to assume that it's a GM battery fitted with a keyswitch that has also been turned on as well as plugged in.

If nothing is lighting up you will first need to confirm that a suitable voltage is being supplied by the battery.
You will require a voltmeter that is able to measure up to 60V for a 48V battery and then insert the two probes into the two contacts in the outlet socket of the battery (Red in "+" and Black in "-").

If the battery voltage cannot be measured, I would suspect a problem within the battery (keyswitch contacts, faulty BMS, a poor soldered connection or even a faulty cell).
If the battery voltage is OK (should be around 57-58V for a fully charged 48V pack) you will need to plug in the power cable and then check for voltage on the cable side of the plug (slide the rubber cover back to allow access to the connections.)
If the battery voltage is present on the power cable connector and there are still no lights on the "correctly plugged in" throttle unit, I would say there must be a problem within the main wiring harness of the motor controller or you have received a faulty throttle unit.

You will need to contact your supplier and explain which part is faulty (battery or controller harness/throttle) and see what they can do to rectify the problem.

Please let us know what you find.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:57:11 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Websitescenes

• Confirmed
    • WebsiteScenes
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 04:29:56 PM »
I am getting a voltmeter after work so I do not know what voltage is coming from the battery. I took a chance and just touched the wires with the key turned and didn't feel anything. I assume I would feel a shock if current was flowing. After confirming with the voltmeter, I will contact the seller. Either way, I will keep you updated. Thank you for the quick reply and valuable information!

Hunt ;D

Offline Websitescenes

• Confirmed
    • WebsiteScenes
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 03:40:29 AM »
So after not getting any voltage out of the battery, I gave the key a harder turn. Apparently I had not been turning the key far enough. I am getting full power now.

Thank you again for the advice. ;D

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MP4 now working
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 07:09:50 PM »
It's good to hear that it was something that was nice and simple to rectify, I just wish all problems were that easy to solve.

Alan