Author Topic: Got a lemon. Where do I find / what are the product warranty / guarantees??  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Wombat

• Confirmed
I cannot find any mention of the product warranty / guarantees for the smartpie kit.

I bought a full smartpie kit 5 months ago. Worked quite well... when it worked!

Since then  the cooling fins / disk brake casting shattered to bits on the road. GM replaced (sent) a new fin casting (but not a replacement brake disk which was bent too).

NOW the motor internals have crapped themselves resulting in the gear cluster freely spinning in either direction, bits rattling around in motor, and wheel became hard to rotate.

Happened just when crossing from foot path to footpath on four lane suburban road. Nothing alarming when it happened just sounding similar to a spoke breaking.

This motor is a lemon, so what rights do I have for replacement? Any GM or experienced advice would be appreciated (in Australia but bought from china).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 06:52:15 PM by Wombat »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Both of your issues I have never heard of before and a lot of these motors have passed through my hands. The disk brake mount is very strong and Well tested on my 29er. The gear cluster mount is also very strong. I regularly stand hard on my pedals taking off up an incredibly steep hill on my ride home from work. The only time I have ever heard of the freewheel mount breaking off is on a 902 motor and this was only 2 times. The only time I have ever heard of bits rattling inside the motor were actually spoke nuts rolling around inside the rim making people believe they were inside the motor.

GM Products are warrantied for a year under normal use conditions. You must contact the people you bought your kit from.

Gary

Offline Wombat

• Confirmed
You will find a photo of the disintegrated disk mount on a previous post of mine; that was trash metal.

For the latter problem I was moving under motor power across a short distance. It was only when I began turning the pedals that the break occurred. Certainly no excessive pressure we, gradually changing to the 250watt European standard in most Aus states, we must ALSO be pedaling if above 6km/hr not to attract the cops (or be using useless old 200watt limit).

The rattling is in the MOTOR... obviously shrapnel from the internal break.

Off the bike, the whole gear cluster just spins manually either way. Shove a screw driver in to the space 'tween the gears and axle (jamming the threaded part the gears screw on to) and then the gears work as expected... only one way. So obviously the gear mounting section is detached from the main motor body.

As written earlier, obtained the motor direct from China... my BAD! Whichever, the mailing costs will be way over $100+ PLUS re-spoking the motor in wheel about the same (extra). As the few Australian dealers (word used loosely) are charlatans or rip-off merchants (also find anothers comment in forums about that) this is turning out to be a very bad product for Australian cyclists.