Author Topic: Meter Display... eh?  (Read 2651 times)

Offline Wombat

• Confirmed
Meter Display... eh?
« on: November 17, 2013, 10:49:29 PM »
G'Day all.

Have installed a SmartPie (26" rear using 48v 7ah battery).

I have one plug left over. The downloaded "MP3 SmartPie Wiring Layout.jpg" graphic simply describes it as "for Meter Display".

Can somebod please explain just what this plug is for. Have I missed summink? Is there an accessory I'm not aware of.

Motor makes a sort of rumbling noise under load but that's going to be another story!

Any help /info re spare plug appreciated. Regards, Ron.

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Re: Meter Display... eh?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 07:27:05 PM »
the rumbling noise may mean you have wired the hall sensors or phase wire wrongly. get a watt meter and see what amps the motor is using with the wheel off the ground.  turn the throttle gently to see the amps being pulled.  the max should not be over 5 amps, usually alot lower 2 to 3.

the meter display is probably just for the red orange and green lights on the throttle(if you have them).  it is not really an accurate  fuel gauge but more for judging how much power you are currently pulling.

Offline Wombat

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 02:06:53 AM »
Thanks for taking the time Andrew, appreciated.

The "internal controller" SP GM kit comes completely wired, at least it was with this recent kit. All the plug pairs  are set in very neat pre molded little plugs so getting stuff a**e-about is not possible. Harness is actually different visually than the SCANT documentation available (WHEN will GM spend the time to bring it all up to date - 2009 is a bit rough!!).

Anyhoo, firstly the rumbling noise now seems to have settled down a bit and apparently comes from general vibrations around the wheel/rear rack and is only apparent at lower speeds. Motor in general really rips along at default (high) settings although for legals I now have it down to very low continuous amps.

Was same before I converted the supplied full twist throttle (so dangerous) to a half twist... actually just cut handle in two so electrics not affected.

I have an old non GM half twist throttle and may try that if I can (except the GM neat little plugs do make that difficult).

The RAS is a bit dodgy applying itself as sort of pulses maybe about 1 second on and 4 or 5 seconds off. But I will keep fiddling with that and try to detect line output from the magnets. Surely the RAS should apply power constantly.

As for the spare plug ("Meter Display??") I'm surprised no one really knows what it is SPECIFICALLY for (see GM wiring graphic picture where it is shown but never explained link@ http://www.goldenmotor.com/e-Bike-DIY/MP3%20SmartPie%20Wiring%20Layout.jpg).

As said the wiring is very neat and preset. The leds on the throttle work (or at least are always on except when the battery gets low and the controller shuts off the motor). Basically the leds are as useful as boobs on a bull as I will always use LiFePo4, but yes they do illuminate.

Thanks again. Regards.

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 09:30:58 AM »
also check that your spokes are nice and tight as this may cause a noise on the motor wheel.  GM laced wheels are infamous for coming loose, but it is usually a 'pinging' noise.  I have no expereience with the new pie set-ups, so not sure what that the plug is for. Maybe it is for some kind of cycle analyst device that GM are working on or supplying??

Andrew