Author Topic: 45 Amps on a 30 A fuse?  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
45 Amps on a 30 A fuse?
« on: August 17, 2012, 08:34:15 PM »
Hi Folks,

A while ago there was a discussion involving fuses.  When I built my Morgen, I included a 30 Amp automotive fuse in the harness.  And then I forgot all about it!  So, when I installed my external controller that routinely draws 45 Amps when accelerating, I did not replace the fuse with a higher rated one.  Well, yesterday when I was about half of mile from home, I was not pleased when my voltmeter dropped to zero with only 9 miles on the battery charge.  I figured it was the battery protection feature, so I turned off the power and waited a few minutes, and cycled the switch again.  Stilll no volts!  So I PUSHED the darn thing home.  (cursing the universe all the way home)

I charged the battery last night, and this morning I jumped in to run some errands.  Nada!  After finding 57 Volts at the battery connector I remembered the fuse, and of course it was black.   I figure I drove somewhere between 30-50 miles before the fuse finally had enough. 

Ah well, I needed the exercise.  Time to go to the store for a new fuse.  I think I'll get a spare, too.........

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline truly_bent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: 45 Amps on a 30 A fuse?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 03:17:56 PM »
Yeah.
I always carry a spare too.
Just can't recall where I put it.
:)
Burley Canto recumbent w/ MP II, Lyen 18FET controller, 48V 20AH LiFeP04, Cycle Analyst, and 4 pounds of zip-ties