Author Topic: Where can I source new PIE bearings in the UK?  (Read 3999 times)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Where can I source new PIE bearings in the UK?
« on: August 05, 2012, 09:03:56 AM »
I'v got a nagging squeaking noise that becomes louder when my PIE warms up. I'm guessing it's a warn bearing??

Anyone know where I can purchase new ones?   and what type/size/dimensions do I need?

Rgds

Andrew

P.S I hope everyone is well?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie wheel bearings
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 07:52:19 PM »
Hi Andrew,

I would be surprised if the wheel bearing are causing a squeaking noise, unless they are exceptionally rusty and starting to seize up, forcing the central part of the bearing to spin on the axle, or worn badly enough that the excessive movement allows the magnets to make contact the stator.

I would say that the squeaking noise is probably more likely to come from movement within a spoke, rather than a wheel bearing (especially if it varies directly with the wheel's rotational speed) so it might be worth checking that all the spokes are still tensioned correctly. A small drop of oil on each spoke at the flange fitting hole, and on each nipple at the rim end might help the squeak to disappear.

If you really need to change a bearing, there are many places in the UK that should be able to supply them. You can try Google shopping, eBay, or even your local motorcycle dealer for a 6302-2RS, as these are relatively common bearings.

If you need further information on the bearing sizes, I have put all the necessary details on here:

I thought this information might also be of use to other members too.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:26:45 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Where can I source new PIE bearings in the UK?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 10:20:38 PM »
One more thing to  note is that bearings come in varying grades.  In this case, a lower number is a better quality.  I suspect the bearings in use in my Pie are greater than 25, because they get really inexpensive at 25 or larger.  Anyway, when you talk to your bearing supplier, ask him about grade vs. cost.  You may not want to pay for a grade 3, but a grade 5 or 10 might be a reasonable cost adder, and will definitely give you more lifetime.  As Alan recommended, polymer seals are usually better than metal shields. 

When you consider the added cost of better bearings, ask yourself "Do I ever want to have to do this again?"

By the way, GM isn't the only firm to spec  bearings by cost.  Colin Chapman, of Lotus fame, routinely used the cheapest bearings he could find.  But I sure did love the cars, and even though I'm sure I eventually replaced every bearing in my Series 4 Elan, I'd do it again in a minute. 

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 02:46:03 PM »
Fantastic detailed information as usual.  hopefully its just a spoke issue so I will try some oil and tension first.

Thanks  for the comments.

Andrew

P.s   Alan, your package is still here, I will post this week!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 01:29:25 PM »
P.s   Alan, your package is still here, I will post this week!

Hi Andrew,

How's the squeak?

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you know that the package arrived safe and sound earlier today, so now I have yet another job to add to my ever increasing "to do"  list, but at least the rain can't stop me from doing this one. ;)

Thanks again,

Alan

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 04:57:10 PM »
I'm glad it arrived. It's been hanging around my kitchen for about 2 months ready to post.

like yourself I've had other jobs to do before tackling my bikes which both need some TLC.

Let me know how you get on with the controller :D

Andrew

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
hey andy baby, I got your pie with new sensors and new bearings all set up .. ( need some connectors though)

come see me ;)
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute