Author Topic: Magic Pie not-working  (Read 7467 times)

Offline Wolfe

• Confirmed
Magic Pie not-working
« on: July 26, 2012, 03:19:38 PM »
Hi, I'm a new member needing some help with diagnosing a Magic Pie not-working problem.
I picked up an unfinished Magic Pie project a few days ago, put it together and found it doesn't work. I don't know which model it is but it was purchase a couple of years ago so I'm guessing MP2 with internal controller. The controller board has 'mx-318.pcb' printed on it.

When the key is turned on the three lights on the battery indicator light up, but nothing happens when the throttle is twisted.
All the connections inside the motor have continuity and all the controls do what they should on continuity testing, altho I don't know how to test the throttle. (There is a second throttle control, which also does nothing)
Hooked up the USB and when the software (PD-282) is started it gives an error code = 0, 'Could not open HID device.'
Hitting 'connect', or other buttons has no effect.

Nothing beeps when the power is turned on, no humming or any other indication of power other than the 3 charge-indicator lights coming on.
Any suggestions on where the problem could be or where to look next?

Thanks!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie not-working
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 03:46:13 PM »

Unplug the brake switch wiring and try again.

Alan

Offline Wolfe

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 06:02:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Pulled the brake connector and nothing changes, charge indicator lights still coming on and no motor movement.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:51:03 PM »

Check out this post for a simple test to check the motor operation by bypassing the main harness and throttle control etc.

If the motor still doesn't run, the problem will be somewhere in the motor harness or the controller itself.

Alan

Offline Wolfe

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 03:48:21 PM »
Thanks again Alan.

I shorted the throttle pins 4 and 6, still nothing.
The voltage on the 6 pin is 4.9, both wires from pin to board have continuity.
So I guess it's the controller.  Are they fixable? Or just replace it?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 01:22:33 AM »

Unless there is an obvious sign of failure, you would need to find someone who is very experienced in electronics who may be able to check some of the more obvious components in order to try and pinpoint the actual cause of the problem.

I think it might be a lot easier and quicker to simply replace the controller.

Alan

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 02:21:35 PM »
Wolfe , Have you tested the output of the battery . I ordered a controller last year that I did not need because the battery was not charging to full capacity . I had one battery that showed 42v that would not power the bike . Yes I am on my third battery from GM . I think the new one is a keeper . If it is LiOn it may have gone bad , GM does not sell them anymore only LiPo4 . Rodmiami

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 11:39:18 PM »

Rod,

It's unlikely to be a battery fault, because all three LEDs are lit on the throttle control, which indicates that there is plenty of voltage. However, if the LEDs went out when the throttle was operated, then the problem could well be battery related. ;)

Alan

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 12:26:51 PM »
 Alan , On both of my failed batteries the throttle lights always showed a full charge . There was not enough amperage to move the bike , Rod

Offline Wolfe

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 12:42:01 PM »
The battery measures 52v, so should be ok.
Another symptom however is that the USB PD_282_speed software won't make the connection to be able to communicate.

So the fact that the motor is completely unresponsive to both power and communication plus the harness testing as good doesn't leave any other option than the controller board itself, it seems. But I'm open to more suggestions...

And the battery also does have a problem--it was apparently dropped and one of tiny resistors(?) on the battery circuit board was broken. As a result(?) the charger indicator LED doesn't change to yellow or green when hooked up, it just remains red and I assume this means it's not charging.
But that shouldn't affect the motor operation as it appears to be fully charged and supplying 52v as it is right now, although I don't know how to test the current.
And that leads to another question: Anyone know where I could pick up one of these components or the board itself? Someone must have a dead battery pack with a good board....doesn't make much sense to spend $500 on a new battery when a 10-cent component is causing the problem.
I live in Toronto, Canada.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 09:35:55 PM »
Anyone know where I could pick up one of these components or the board itself? Someone must have a dead battery pack with a good board....doesn't make much sense to spend $500 on a new battery when a 10-cent component is causing the problem.

Take a look at this post for an alternative solution for the resistor replacement.

Alan