Author Topic: Magic Pie II without batteries  (Read 2431 times)

Offline Werick

• Confirmed
Magic Pie II without batteries
« on: June 27, 2012, 01:25:27 AM »
Hi:

This might sound like a dumb question, but I have a reason for asking. Is it dangerous to the electronics, in a Magic Pie II. To operate without a battery connected? I'm a retired electrician and know some devices don't like to operated like this due to high voltage transients.

Reason for asking: I live in New York City where electric bikes are illegal. They do have a new law in the works. But seem to be dragging their feet on it. I actually built the bike for use in upstate NY. But if I ever want to use it in the city. I'll either have to pull the front wheel Magic Pie or remove the battery, to keep it from getting confiscated and a large fine.

Changing the front wheel is really a snap. I chose the front wheel Magic Pie option because of the stupid NYC law. But to save wear and tear on the connectors I'd like to know if removing the batteries is an option?

Thanks

Offline Werick

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie II without batteries
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 01:40:45 PM »
There is an identical post to this subject on page 16. I thought I did a search, but apparently, not good enough. Sorry about that; I'm new here. Anyhow, my concerns appear to be justified. The best answer, from that thread was "Buy another bike and leave the Pie alone".

That works for me, why didn't I think of that? :-)

Just built my pie: Magic Pie II with programming cable, front wheel drive, 24V 12 ah SLA (Will switch to Lithium when I get the money). This thing is great! I can't believe the performance at 24V
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 03:44:13 PM by Bikemad »

Offline skylinenitro

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 04:56:05 PM »
You can run the pie without batteries as long as the controller is not connected.  Remove your Hall cables from the controller and remove the phase wires from the controller.  You will need to electrical tape each one of the phase wires by them selves so that the wires cannot contact anything!  then it will be safe to ride with the pie attached.

If you connect any one of the 3 phase wires together and try to ride, you will get massive resistance and the wires will start to get hot and possibly short inside your motor!  (found this out the hard way)
Live Long and Prosper

Offline Werick

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 02:36:56 PM »
Thankyou, I thought so!