Author Topic: 36 v battery dropped odd fault  (Read 3794 times)

Offline SydneyCommuter

• Confirmed
36 v battery dropped odd fault
« on: January 30, 2012, 11:58:43 AM »
Not my week. I dropped my 36v 16 ah about 1mtre landed on one on the guarage concrete floor.
Good news, no damage to the case and o/p 40v ok took it for long ride too check and discharge it for a full cycle. Got v down to about 34v. It won't charge up, charger lite stays green. Thought it must be oc but when I put the avo on the charge pt on the battery indicates volts 34 same as motor o/p plug.
Question for the brains trust, how long do I have to get it fixed before leaving it fairly discharged causes issues with the cells.?. Also do you think I could get away with charging it thru the Anderson plug, or will the bms block it off shouldn't given regen goes in that way?
Tks Mark
Either way looks like I 'll have to open it up.
Tks mark

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 36 v battery dropped odd fault
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 02:52:55 AM »
Hey buddy

Sound like a crack in the BMS.... See if you can take it out from there and inspect the big solder traces as I suspect 1 has snapped / cracked.

Hopefully its an easy fix !!!!

How's that bike build going by the way?

Offline SydneyCommuter

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 12:01:09 PM »
Bit of a story.
You may have seen my other post, decided to go all out and bring it up to a dual pi. In fact since your post my parts arrived! Not bad Canada to oz in less than a week!. I have all ready to go on my build bar a case for the external controllers, I want them easy to get at so I can plug in t prog cable quickly. I had Gary set them before shipping so I can get going quick with a good starting config. I'm keeping the look very low key to ensure I don't attract anyas unwanted attention, well apparat from freaking out the Fit brigade as I blow past them up the killer hills near t office.
The old internal controller pi is going to be a later project, I intend to repurpose it for an external, but beef  up the wires for some hi power tinkering, I was thinking of putting it on the back of a trike when the freeway bike lane is reopened in a year, in the meantime I also have a very nice light aluminum frame I'm going to try a dual mini on.
First things I need my work horse dual commuter going.
Other things I've abandoned the magic seatpost rack it just couldn't handle the load of the battery and panniers, I tried the magic basic one but no good with disc brakes ( but will use on my mini build) ended up with a Topeke touring rack with disc compatibles fittings, so far so good standing up to the mean streets of syd. Can't say same for the pi 26" spokes I've been breaking one per work round trip 50kms. Lucky I got a set with stacks of spares. I recal someone had a mod with washers on the pi end of the spoke wonder if it stood test of time. I was also thinking of trying swalb air balloon tires on the back the marathons are good for no punctures but they are hard as! Maybe just a bit of sprunge will make the dif.a If not I may have to get some industrial strength spokes made. (dropping some kg's off my diminutive 110kg frame might help too) .
I got a dnp 7 free wheel 11 tooth top cog ( should allow me to peddle along with it on flat at 36~38 clicks part of my strategy re the legals) just noticed the little removal tool for that was fine on my old shimano freewheel doesn't fit into the end of the thing so I better get it right first time.
So still have the bug but looking forward to some improved reliability. Touch wood!!

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 12:54:30 PM »
Nice so its Christmas for you all over again it sounds :D

I'm still waiting (trying to find) on suitable forks as mine bottom out everywhere lol

So I only ride it along a bike track scarcely, I'm not getting any love from USA bike part suppliers wtf did we do to them? haha

Anyway it looks like I'll have to find a local frame builder and see what 'frankenforks' he can muster up so I can hoon around on it again.

Hey can you ride 3 wheeler trikes in NSW on the road? I'm pretty certain I remember seeing 3 wheeler Pedicab taxi's last time I was in Sydney but wasn't sure if it was a licensed thing (I can see the council preferring bikes over horses crapping everywhere haha)

And your frame is really 110Kg??

Offline SydneyCommuter

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 11:32:03 AM »
Hey us old guys with grown up kids can get away with more. (I'm saving $25 a commute I should restore the balance in about 2 years the way I'm going, the npv on my bus case started off looking good until I started getting ideas about new projects).
Working on the machine instead of drinking and comfort eating is doing wonders for my waisteline.
I've bolted my controllers into a kids lunch box with a hinged lid that I'm planning to lash under the seat corner of the frame. that way I can easy just flick the lid up and plug in the program cable.
I'm still figuring out the best way to get round the front droppouts without weakening them, just as well I ordered a couple of tork arms. but not sure how I'm going to get them on, particularly the disc caliper side.
I start taking some pics and post.
I wish it was the bike that was 110kg and not me it'd be a lot easier going to the shop and buying a lighter one than having to excercise some will power for a change.
cheers
Mark

Offline SydneyCommuter

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 11:53:18 AM »
Got temporary fix so I can recharge so no cells fail from being left discharged till I get time to repair the charging port fault. Used a cheap RCA femail plug soldered to a spare pi power cable I had handy. Charged up ok. So I have time to finish my dual build before I open the 36v up.

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 04:39:09 AM »
I put 2 torque plates on the outside of the fork, not the inside.
From there it doesn't interfere with the disc brakes.

Offline SydneyCommuter

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 07:50:34 AM »
Agreed, I got it the front set up. I dremelled out the outside washer recess enough to take the pi lock washer, still heaps of mettle so hopefully with 2 torques it should be tough enough. Still having some issues with the disc calipers. The standoffs are too low for the gm calliper ones but the shimano one seems to work with the gm caliper attached. Hopefully help those who follow.
I'll drop a pic in when I get back home, darn business travel is stopping my progress.
Cheers
Mark

Offline meeeee

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 03:44:27 AM »
I need Gary's info I'm in Sydney too and need a PIE III for my bike ????? Help !!!!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:34:16 PM by spellchecker »

Offline SydneyCommuter

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 10:26:08 AM »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 02:10:16 AM »
Sheesh my ears are burning :)

When do we see some pictures? I have put front torque arms on several bikes with no issues.

Gary