Author Topic: Motor cuts out  (Read 5902 times)

Offline Wtm

• Confirmed
Motor cuts out
« on: October 08, 2008, 03:00:48 AM »
I just built a bike with a 36 Volt GM 500 front wheel drive with the GM LifePO4.  The first time I used it no problems. Used for 30 minutes or so. The second time after about 10 minutes the motor started cutting out.  I charged the battery again and still have the problem. If I let it sit a few minutes it dose fine for a short time.  I am not very good at electronics and do not know what is wrong or what to do?  Please help.

Thanks

Offline Spacelander 1946

• Confirmed
    • Home Page
Re: Motor cuts out
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 04:54:23 AM »
Sounds like another dud GM battery? But check with a volt meter (from $10 @ your local Tandy Store ) should hold about 40V fully charged. Or take your battery & charger to a TV technician for testing(he will crack up with LOL). Also your controller will cut out when under heavy loads,overheats or just no more grunt left in your battery!......Do you have regen braking? many steep hills? overweighted?....please post more info. Other forum members will thread more tech info. We will get you on the road again, don't worry,OK...Cheers & good luck.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 05:19:58 AM by Spacelander 1946 »
Rue de Morgue: www.suicidegirls.com

Offline Wtm

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 03:17:44 PM »
As far as the heavy loads I weigh about 180 no hills, live in Florida.  I have the standard controller sent with the motot kit.  I was going as fast as it would go.  When charging all the lights lit up like it was charging right, but will get a volt meter.

Thanks WTM

Offline JonMcClain

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 04:56:29 PM »
I tend to agree with Spacelander.  I sounds like the controller is cutting out due to low voltage.  This exactly the same behavior when my battery needs a charge.  If you have meter check the voltage at the connector.  If you are significantly below 36v (28v or 29v) you need a fresh charge.  Check your charger to make sure that it is functioning properly as well.  Plug the bike in and check for the proper output voltage.  I have gone through 2 chinese chargers in as many weeks!   

Good Luck!

Offline Wtm

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 06:05:11 PM »
After the last time it cut out it would not come back on.  I recharged it and everything worked like it should showing full charge.  Got a multi meter and it shows no power from the plug out.  When I had connected it to re charge it there was a spark.  I had not connected the charger to the wall plug indicating to me the batteries are charged.  It also only took a few minutes to show fully charged.  I had only gone a few hundred yards since charging so I felt that was also showing the batteries were charged and holding a charge.  I think it must be in the key switch or plug out.  I e mailed Philp at golden motors and he got back with me to check the batt. with a multimeter and I re emailed him telling now no power out from battery and waiting for his reply before I open the Battery.

Thanks for all your help.  I am not good with electrical and it sure is nice to have a support group.

WTM
Bill

Offline Wtm

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 03:47:53 PM »
Re emailed Phil no reply.  Read about checking battery by the charging plug #1 &15.  Tried that big spark and burned one of the charging nipples.  Very discussed, think the battery is total junk, DO NOT WAIST YOUR MONEY!!!!  Still have not heard back from GM and now out all that time & money. 

Offline Wtm

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 02:53:32 PM »
I just got a email from Philip Yao offering to send me a new battery.  WOW!!!   I had talked to someone who thinks he can fix it so I told Philip to hold off for a while to see if I can get the one I have fixed.  It's great to know he stands behind his product.  Feel a lot better knowing he is a good honorable guy and feel he will get the problems they are having with the batteries supplier worked out.

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 06:58:10 PM »
If he's offering, GET THE NEW ONE! and then if you can get the other one fixed you'll have a spare.