Author Topic: New Test 16S LiPo  (Read 16613 times)

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
Re: New Test 16S LiPo
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 08:35:24 PM »
funny you say that....after I did it, I thought..hmmm, surely someone on endless sphere has done this before...

voila

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13571&hilit=adjust+king+charger

I set my charger to 49.8 ( I connect a turnigy watt meter to it, and it shows the "storage voltage" when a battery is not connected...dropped my ampage ( as half the pack was charged and disconnected, otherwise I would have 10-11 amps on a 6ah pack ( im going 1C charge only)... you can adjust both, as long as the calculation is not greater than the watt rating of the charger...
What an amazing charger, I have both the emc400 and emc 600, both have been solid as a rock ( after I glued the fan on one back together after shipping from china......

charged a treat...thought I was going to be up all night with my emergency backup accucel 6....
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 08:57:46 PM »
Yep I saw that and posted there but got no joy.

Though some of the chargers are different internally, I ordered the 400 watt so I don't know if it will be like in the pic!

Anyway I just hope they have the correct charging voltage on this one!

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 03:54:20 AM »
wel the EMC 600 looks like the first piccie, and ill confirm the EMC 400 today :)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 05:29:48 AM »
Cheers mate!  :)

I'm checking the bmsbattery site now, they are slow in sending it out!

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 06:18:05 AM »
I thought I should post here considering you guys are hogging all of the topic bandwidth ;)

haha

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 06:45:48 AM »
Hey Monkey,

How are you ?

How's the spacebike coming along ? you haven't ridden back kin time yet ? ;D

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 07:27:29 AM »
Hey monkey, has mark mentioned Lipo :)

Mark, couldnt adjust my emc400 below 52.3....sho hopefully it should have a lot of higher end adjustment

layout is different, ill try and get you a piccie :)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 08:26:09 AM »
LiPo LiPo  ;D

Yeah just check what yourcaps are rated for and that will be a good indication!

By the way do you adjust while your battery is connected? I still haven't figured how you would adjust without the battery connected ?

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 08:27:20 AM »
Hey Monkey,

How are you ?

I seriously ask you to stock well up on your favourite lotion.... You will need copius amounts when I release my final pics haha

If I put the work in stages, I would be upto somewhere around stage 132 out of 138 or something rediculous like that.

Remember this all started when I went searching for a visor for my LCD screen, and it kinda snowballed since then.... I really like the outcome now though its one awesome unique looking bike

Maybe by this weekend??? I really hope the weather is tops down here ATM

Lol don't start :D hehehe I'll squeeze the use out of my GM packs then I might take a trip to Kelly town bypassing Lipoville on the way.... I have a dream lol

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 08:32:56 AM »
Hey Monkey,

How are you ?

I seriously ask you to stock well up on your favourite lotion.... You will need copius amounts when I release my final pics haha

If I put the work in stages, I would be upto somewhere around stage 132 out of 138 or something rediculous like that.

Remember this all started when I went searching for a visor for my LCD screen, and it kinda snowballed since then.... I really like the outcome now though its one awesome unique looking bike

Maybe by this weekend??? I really hope the weather is tops down here ATM

Lol don't start :D hehehe I'll squeeze the use out of my GM packs then I might take a trip to Kelly town bypassing Lipoville on the way.... I have a dream lol

Jesus Monkey, what are you riding around on now, it seems like you will never be riding the dual pie ?

I think Monkey and LiPo are a recipe for major injury ?  ;D you are too crazy Monkey for LiPo but you will love the stuff even if it's only lasts half as much, it costs a lot less though so balances out and I'd rather have a much lighter pack any day over twice the cycle life.

If you can get over the charging and discharging without a bms then you are sorted! 

Anyway looking forward to seeing the finished Monkey machine  ;D

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 09:03:20 AM »

Jesus Monkey, what are you riding around on now, it seems like you will never be riding the dual pie ?

Behind the scenes I actually have several ebikes, scooters etc. so I've been making do on those but I really miss riding this thing. I've been working on it on and off, since I've tested every part as I install it I've also come across a few problems but am glad because I've solved them all during the build.

I won't bump this post with my junk but I'll update my post sometime soon enough.

Alan will laugh because now I've lost the XD adapter for my Olympus camera (last time it was the charger) so now I have full power, but no way to transfer my pictures to the PC haahaa

I have seriously considering buying a new camera to save me the hassle

If you saw my electronics "lab" workshop then you would understand where I'm coming from haha

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 10:37:55 AM »
yes Monkie I can just imagine your workshop!  ::)  ;D

I wish I had somewhere to work apart from the kitchen table lol

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 07:07:58 PM »
mark, im liking the lipo....

I love the way that there is virtually no voltage drop on it, and the EMC600 charger is working a treat......49.5 bulk charge:)

25 miles at average 20MPH....no pedalling....with 12ah of a 15ah pack used ( altough im expanding this to 18ah for more cycle life)

I also have rigged it to 3 ah packs, so I can carrry only the batteries I need ...1KG per 3aH, each pack being capable of continuous of 60 amps continuous output, 90 amp peak .......

cost in UK, abot £25per ah depending on source

and to be honest, as i, webby and andrew have been on no bms for about a year now, cant see any real issues there....:)

( its still not coming in the house)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 09:47:55 PM »
mark, im liking the lipo....

I love the way that there is virtually no voltage drop on it, and the EMC600 charger is working a treat......49.5 bulk charge:)

25 miles at average 20MPH....no pedalling....with 12ah of a 15ah pack used ( altough im expanding this to 18ah for more cycle life)

I also have rigged it to 3 ah packs, so I can carrry only the batteries I need ...1KG per 3aH, each pack being capable of continuous of 60 amps continuous output, 90 amp peak .......

cost in UK, abot £25per ah depending on source

and to be honest, as i, webby and andrew have been on no bms for about a year now, cant see any real issues there....:)

( its still not coming in the house)

Yeah LiPo is good stuff al right, and to be honest a bms is fine but it adds another 100 Euro or so to the battery and they have been well known to fail and a bms failure on LiPo is as we all know very dangerous!

Hopefully Gary over at ES gets his LiPo bms running soon so it can be tested, but so far it looks very promising and is good for 12S. So not good for me now but I'm sure he will make different bms's in the future!

Once you leave a few ah in your pack the cells should stay balanced and charging to 4.15 per cell and not going much below 3.5 should give you very good life, so I'm told anyway lol

A lot of people talk about LiFeP04 as been a wonderful battery, it has it's advantages, safety being one, bms being 2 and ease of charging being 3. However for me the most important thing is C rate and lightness 2 things where the LiPo wins hands down over LiFeP04, sure you could buy A123 cells, but they are stupidly expensive where I can build 16S 10ah LiPo for about 240 Euros from HK.

Another thing is cycle life where you get about twice the life over LiPo, however considering the cost of my LiPo is about half that of a good A123 pack, it doesn't really matter to me because again, the LiPo is a lot lighter and more compact, with care LiPo can go for 600 or more cycles anyway!

I'm looking forward to my charger but they are taking their time sending it out it's still in "checking"phase! It would be nice to be able just to replace 3-5 ah without splitting all the packs up!

HAHA Ginge my LiPo is sitting on the kitchen table as we speak,  ;D I'll charge her up in the morning before I go for my ride, I've only used around 2ah but it's only a 10ah pack so I want to make sure I have as much capacity and besides, it will help with cycle life too by charging it up early!

I long for the day I can afford to move in to some place bigger with space for a good shed, and a shed that has power in it. It would be nice to be able to do all my work in the shed and not in the kitchen. My mac is in bits on the kitchen floor while I'm waiting for my new halls to arrive.  My girlfriend is very understanding, then again, she doesn't spend much time in the kitchen anyway lol!

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 06:47:33 PM »
bmsbattery can take about 3-4 weeks to ship....sorry to bear the bad news

Pack upgraded today to 18ah ( going to need it for the electric jumper :) )