Author Topic: 4000+ miles on my Pie and still going strong  (Read 4056 times)

Offline Webby

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
4000+ miles on my Pie and still going strong
« on: September 12, 2011, 08:33:42 PM »
I just wanted to cellebrate with all fellow pie goers as I have now been communting 40 miles a day since March 2011 and have now breached the 4000 mile mark. AND I HAVE STILL NOT LOOKED BACK  :)

Single pie setup on 700c hybred (got talked out of Dual setup as the Lyen infinieon is a magic bullet) - first a single on the front with internal controller (good) and for a while now a single on the back with a Lyen 12 FET controller (wicked! thanks Ginge - your a star!)

The only problem I ever had was a few broken spokes but SAPIM replacement has kissed goodbye to those days (thanks again Ginge - your a mega star!)

The pie itself is built like a brick Sh*t house! no electrical problems, no water problems, no faults, nothing wrong except a few loose and broken spokes.

I have to also make a special mention to my Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres - they have done 3500+ miles and I have not had a single puncture! It is quite unbelieveable but true. All I did was check every couple of weeks and remove any object embedded in the tyre.

(Oh and no accidents to date - touch wood!)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 4000+ miles on my Pie and still going strong
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 02:38:21 AM »
Sounds like my experience. I have used many motors and other parts from GM to build quite a few bikes. I have only ever had one failure. A controller failed on a hot day when I was climbing a steep hill. Maybe I am gifted or very lucky but it is true. I did however also have one mini motor that didn't work right out of the box but my warranty was good :)

So far I have built a dual pie mountain Bike, a single pie mountain bike, a dual drive mini motor Hybrid, a dual pie joyebike, a single pie Tandem Bike ( my current favorite) 2 shrinkers. I think thats it ( 7 bikes ) and all run just fine. They all make for great group outings.

But now it is time to cut back a bit. The Dual pie Joy ebike I sold the motors off it and it hanging on a hook. The Hybrid dual mini I sold the motors and converted it back to a front 48v1000 HBS, its sold. The Single pie mountain bike looks like it will be gone on saturday. That cuts me back to four bikes which should keeps the family and I happy.

That being said I do always carry a spare magic controller with me incase one fails. Then if it ever does, its just a matter of unpluging one and plugging in the other and off I go again.

Gary

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 08:46:31 AM »
aw, webby, you making me blush :)

so far, 6500 miles on ebike,....5000 on a pie......accidents,  a mad dog, snow motocross ( a seasonal topic)..crushed nuts.stalker duck...its been fun :)

I must say though, the best addition ever to these wheels is a third party controller ;)

Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 04:29:35 PM »
Webby! good to hear from you. I am really glad that you've ironed out all the glitches.  You done some serious miles! - hats off to you sir for being such a dedicated bike commuter :)

I on the other hand am having a few teething problems with my pie bike at present, I had it converted from internal to external controller and have now wired it up with a new bespoke frame bag for the pack and all the gubbings, but alas  I only managed 2 miles before the the motor juddered to a stand still.

I hope "Bicycle Repair Man" - aka Ginge  can come to the rescue!!

If anyone has any possible remedies please feel free to comment

Andrew :)

Offline Webby

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 07:17:41 PM »
Hi Andrew - hope you are well.

I'm sure the main man - Ginge - will sort it but the only thing I can immediately think of is a loose electrical connection problem.

I had a couple of days of this and figured that all that external controller and wire gubbings is rattling around quite a bit in my 'engine' bag.

So bound the whole lot in insulation tape (why not as its cheap and can just cut it off if required, right) and any other 'dangling' wires I used electrical ties to keep then in situation.

Since that day all has been behaving perfectly.

BTW - I overtook a chap up a steep hill the other day before which I rang my £1.50 bell at him as a warning that I was approaching and he shouted at me as I passed "...are you allowed that bike?" during which I thanked him for pulling over to let me past. How strange people are as I was just minding my own business - I assume he just did not think it fair.  :D

Offline Pwd

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 11:34:18 PM »
The Pie really is a workhorse. I've also been commuting (during the summer months) since May 2010. The spokes are something that definitely need to be checked once in a while, but I consider that regular maintenance. I've been dual pie since this April, it its been ok; but I think what really needs to happen is for me to get a better bicycle (Giant comes to mind with quick shifters/more gears), and perhaps a new battery that can feed both pies so I can unleash their true power. I've got over 2500Km on the front pie and over 1700km on the rear pie...

Better tires I think will be a MUST... so far I go through a set of tires per season. I've been running cheap $8 Kenda mountain bike tires from Canadian Tire so I can't complain.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:36:54 PM by pwd »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 12:45:56 AM »
The Pie really is a workhorse. I've also been commuting (during the summer months) since May 2010. The spokes are something that definitely need to be checked once in a while, but I consider that regular maintenance. I've been dual pie since this April, it its been ok; but I think what really needs to happen is for me to get a better bicycle (Giant comes to mind with quick shifters/more gears), and perhaps a new battery that can feed both pies so I can unleash their true power. I've got over 2500Km on the front pie and over 1700km on the rear pie...

Better tires I think will be a MUST... so far I go through a set of tires per season. I've been running cheap $8 Kenda mountain bike tires from Canadian Tire so I can't complain.

Sounds like you need to figure out where to add a 48v20ah lifepo4 :)

Gary

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 07:28:26 AM »
lipo ? :)

all bikes need rocket boost lol
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute