Author Topic: Bike Security  (Read 19164 times)

Offline PaintingLoft.com

• Confirmed
    • my flickr page
Bike Security
« on: September 08, 2008, 02:28:32 AM »
So what does everyone do to keep their bike form being ripped off?  I live in a city and hear about bikes being stolen all the time.  I already have a cable with a key that I use but I will be riding to work and also to the grocery stores.  I am worried about going to the large grocery store where I can't keep an eye on my bike.

I have been looking up bike alarms that will sound out a loud alarm if the bike is touched but I probably won't hear it in a large store.

very interested in what everyone else is doing.  good or bad ideas; lets hear it!

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Bike Security
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 04:23:55 AM »
G'day Paint,

I've got my kit up and running but not perminantly mounted as yet, just being held together by electrical tape at this stage. I currently ride to the train station each day and back, mostly up hill on the way home, so thats why I've gone electric. Anyway I lock my bike up to a fence at the entrance to the station thats under cover, and they have security cameras there. I currently use two lock on my bike as a while ago I was only using one cheap one and got off the train one night and my bike was gone. Now that I've gone electric I will be investing in a third heavy duty lock. I'll also be building a cage around the battery with a padlockable hinged door, to remove it when necessay, so that I can leave it on the bike, I don't want to have to carry it with me every day.

Murray

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 10:56:52 AM »

very interested in what everyone else is doing.  good or bad ideas; lets hear it!

Yeah a good chain is a good idea and it may help to carry a tire iron in the basket...

READ ON.

an exerpt from my up and comming blog.

Tampering with electric bicycles or any bicycle is a rare yet a very dangerous event to the rider. Especially if the rider is a person that does not have the mechanical knowledge to detect any changes to the bike in question.

My family is currently suffering harassment from an individual that insists on publicly upstaging my wifes efforts to chain her bike up against theft and antagonises her often before and after she visits the chemist to get her prescription medicine to aid her lymphoma.  At one stage I received a phone call from her in town where she complained that her wheel back wheel gearing fell off.  I rode out that night with a wrench to see if I could repair the problem.

When I had arrived I noticed the rear axle was undone on both sides almost to the point the nut had fallen off.  I fixed the bike and got it home. At home, In better light I observed  that also the front wheel was undone and the next day after a test ride we found the handle bars undone as well.

A week later, one of the smaller electric bikes we owned was attacked with coke.  The attacker poured coke into the battery compartment in an attempt to short out the electronics.

Now my young child was using the bike and we decided to call the police to report this harassment, attempted bodily harm and damage done to the bike that was attacked with coke.

I had to clean the coke out as ants were raiding my electronics.  No other damage was done and nobody has been hurt yet.

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:34:57 AM »
LOL my wife says a big monitor lizard sitting on the bike would scare enough people off.  I could imagine taking such a pet for a ride. :P

Maybe a sign like this....

:D

Besides the chain its prolly a good idea to lock it up in full public view (of course) and be awear of whats around.  EV jacking :| maybe a thing in the future.

Bring it on

Offline PaintingLoft.com

• Confirmed
    • my flickr page
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 08:36:50 PM »
i was thinking of something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAdxNdR3P5k

this guys seems to steal the same bike in different places to see if anyone does anything about it.  pretty sad commentary on society!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4yydGUB88c

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 08:59:14 PM »
OMG.

This guy doesnt look like a bike theif.  He looks like someone who lost the key to his chain.  I wonder if things would of been different if he was 15 yo street trash with a bad head on his shoulders.

Errr he looks the part with that hood on, OMG someone helps him too.  LOL @ "I don't mean to be a dick" Too late! Your on YOUTUBE DUDE :D...

Hmm maybe securing your bike out in full public view does Jack ship...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 10:28:20 PM by Smeee »

Bring it on

Offline PaintingLoft.com

• Confirmed
    • my flickr page
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 05:01:48 PM »
I would think that anyone walking around with bolt cutters is a thief. 

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 08:42:54 AM »
G'day all,

I've finally finished my e-bike conversion doing bits here and there in my spare time. As you can see the motor (and controller) are not GM, but the battery is. I've built a cage for it to protect it so that I don't have to take it with me. As I've said, I'll also be using 3 locks to lock up my bike also.

Muzza.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 06:52:17 PM »
G'day all,

I've finally finished my e-bike conversion doing bits here and there in my spare time. As you can see the motor (and controller) are not GM, but the battery is. I've built a cage for it to protect it so that I don't have to take it with me. As I've said, I'll also be using 3 locks to lock up my bike also.

Muzza.

Muzza Muzza Muzzzzaaa

Another aussie here, great to see :D....

Here is the stand you want mate. ;)

Bring it on

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 10:19:47 PM »
I use a heavy cable lock on mine, but always disconnect the power when I leave it. The connections under the bonnet aren't labeled, and not terribly clear, so I'm not sure how easily someone unfamiliar with it could get it going under its own power. Most people don't know mine is an electric bike unless I tell them, so if anyone thought they were stealing a standard bike, the weight of the thing would be a pretty good theft deterrent as well! I know I don't enjoy riding it very far without the electric assist.

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 11:11:04 PM »
G'day Smeee,

Yes I do need a stand. Its one of the last few things I will be getting for my bike (the others being the third lock and some mud guards). Could I ask where you can get it, any old bike shop?

Muzza.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 11:19:11 PM »
G'day Smeee,

Yes I do need a stand. Its one of the last few things I will be getting for my bike (the others being the third lock and some mud guards). Could I ask where you can get it, any old bike shop?

Muzza.

Yes I got mine from a bike shop.  Only one out of three stocked it and the other cool bike shop owner said he can get them in if I wanted more

The next bike I build the stand will be the first thing I buy before anything.  It makes the building much much more easy.

The brand name of the stand is NUVO

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 11:23:17 PM by Smeee »

Bring it on

Offline PaintingLoft.com

• Confirmed
    • my flickr page
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 03:30:27 AM »
smee... lets see the rest of that bike. how do you secure your bike?

Offline PaintingLoft.com

• Confirmed
    • my flickr page
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 06:51:11 PM »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 07:24:01 AM »
here is my bike project so far:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottholloway/sets/72157607540067517/

If you want to use flicker save your files as jpegs and unless you need fine detail resize them to a max of 330px wide with a 40% compression ratio , 40% smothing as thats a bit better then VCR quality...  They should be no bigger than 12kb file size.  They load on all connections ultra fast in the forum pages and the pics speak for themselves.

To display them on the forum just select and highlight the URL and click   in the bbcode icons just above the smiley icons.  If you hover over those icon it will say what they do, there are all sorts of fun stuff you can do

It should look like this when you do right.

Code: [Select]
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3142/2893104442_88f6c4385a_s.jpg[/img]
Post a good pic of my bike soon. :o
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 07:42:12 AM by Smeee »

Bring it on