Author Topic: wheel bearings  (Read 2068 times)

Offline arclight

• Confirmed
wheel bearings
« on: July 22, 2011, 04:06:00 AM »
Hello all, been looking for some advice on bearings, 430k on the pie and i'm getting some lateral movement, noticed it a couple of days ago, brake disk moving over onto the pads on corners, and today it was much more pronounced, needless to say i'm getting a little concerned,  got any advice!

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
Re: wheel bearings
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 04:19:50 AM »
Front or rear pie?

Can you put the bike upside down and reproduce it by hand
and see exactly where the lateral movement is coming from?

Offline arclight

• Confirmed
Re: wheel bearings
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 06:15:31 AM »
Hello e-lmer,  it's a rear hub on a 26" wheel, yes I turned I upside down and right side up :D I also took it into my favorite bike shop, an ex Kona tech helped me out and we had a good look at it suspended, outdoors. the rear axel has a couple of mm of play, you can actually move it by hand quite easily, I can live with it the way it is, but I don't want it any looser, and quite frankly I don't know what normal is!
it has 450k on it now and is actually running 3k faster than when I first installed it ;D  i've taken it on some trails that were a little jaring for it, but thats not rough going. how much travel is too much? I was surprised that it moved at all as i've never seen an electric motor shaft move laterally!   any help would be appreciated. tk's s.