Author Topic: mp question  (Read 12290 times)

Offline gm nooby

• Confirmed
mp question
« on: June 17, 2011, 09:45:46 PM »
hello everyone :).does anybody know which pole coming out of the internal mp is positive? rubber boot or bare pin.thanks.

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
Re: mp question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 10:02:18 PM »
typically in electronics, the positive is always the one booted....impretty sure this is the case here too, not 100% ( cause im drunk), but.... drunk sure....
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline gm nooby

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 10:29:55 PM »
my guess is the bare pin.but im gonna wait and see if anyone else chimes in.i don't feel like opening the hub for this. ::)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 11:24:21 PM »
The Positive lead should have a covered female terminal on the battery cable, which connects to the exposed male terminal on the motor harness as shown here:

This should hopefully remove all doubt.

Alan

Offline gm nooby

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 11:42:31 PM »
thank you,well for some reason I got no mp movement.ive just got the throttle hooked up,and it does not work.do I have to plug anything else in? ive never worked with one of these internal pies.thanks again.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 11:48:52 PM »

If the battery and throttle are connected, it should run when the throttle is operated.

Does the hub beep when the battery is connected, and if so, how many beeps are there?

What voltage battery are you using?

Alan

Offline gm nooby

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 12:16:25 AM »
no beeping, im using 24v sla,just for testing.there good batteries and charged up.but I do have 36v lithium im going to hook up after I get it to work.thanks,and no, I didnt hook up anything backwards,ive built quite a few ebikes before,this was a used hub from gary,and he said it should work.so we will see whats wrong somehow. :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 12:53:44 AM by gm nooby »

Offline gm nooby

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 03:11:47 AM »
well I got the wheel spinning by unplugging and moving the throttle connector,if I plug it in all the way nothing happens,if I just touch the connections before it snaps in. the wheel turns :-\.but still no beeping.the throttle doesnt do anything,its just wide open.i know this throttle was good,ill have to check the plug in the harness.any suggestions?

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 03:18:54 AM »
Hi Nooby

Is this the one to BC last week? I tested it before I took it off the bike. It worked fine at that time.

Gary

Offline gm nooby

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 03:35:54 AM »
yup thats me.it spins but no beeps and or throttle.i know this throttle worked great,its just a standard cheaper throttle.any suggestions gary?

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 06:39:14 AM »
seems that there may be a lot of bad wiring harnesses lately ?
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 12:33:40 PM »

If the throttle wires are connected to the correct wires on the harness, then it's most likely a poor connection on the black wire is preventing a good ground connection.
Carefully check the pins where they are crimped onto the wires to confirm you have good connections.

Without a good ground connection, the throttle will be sending a full throttle signal voltage to the controller. When the battery is initially connected, the motor will not run at full throttle because of a safety feature within the controller, but if the throttle is unplugged and plugged back in again, the wheel will then run at full speed. :o

The voltage between the Red and Black wire on the throttle should be approx 5 Volts. If it's not correct, try checking the voltage between the Black wire and battery negative connection, this should be 0 Volts.

Check out this post for more details.

Alan

Offline gm nooby

• Confirmed
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 04:43:26 PM »
well :P.
red throttle wire 5v
white wire 0v
black 0v
the person I was building the bike for came by today and said,so can I ride to work? I just laughed :o.
ive tried to reset by unplugging battery etc.the throttle still wide open,perhaps the white wire throttle sensor is not sending-receiving signal? I don't see the magic in the pie install so far.these connectors should be improved.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 09:03:34 PM »

If the throttle has 5V on the red and 0V on the black there should be a variable voltage on the white wire of between 0.8V and 4.5V as the throttle is operated.
As you have a reading of 0V on the signal wire (and assuming the throttle is OK) you either have a broken signal wire on the throttle side, or it must be short circuited to a ground wire somewhere on the harness side.

Check the voltage on all three wires on the throttle side of the connector, and then check the harness side to see if they are the same, any differences here would indicate a poor connection between the pins and sockets.

The motor should only run if the voltage on the White signal wire is above 1.25V.
If the motor runs fast, but stops as soon as you unplug the throttle, it could be that the white and black leads have somehow been connected the wrong way around.

It might also be worth checking for any damaged or shorted wires where the harness exits the Pie's axle, as the sides of the slot can be very sharp.

Alan

Offline gm nooby

• Confirmed
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 09:51:35 PM »
thanks Alan for helping :).im sick of it for today,i actually got this for a easy install,guess I was taught a lesson.now I have to learn all the wiring, troubleshooting etc.been reading all day and yesterday about mp. the white throttle plug from the motor reads 0v.but I don't give up,i will get this going or in the recycle it goes.cant imagine my friend buying this and trying to install it.i will try again on tuesday. ;)