Author Topic: My Magic Pie Stopped Running After Sitting Inside 3 Months .  (Read 8498 times)

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
My Magic Pie Stopped Running After Sitting Inside 3 Months .
« on: January 03, 2011, 07:04:56 AM »
     I'm bummed as I'd like to go for a ride now the temp is nice here in south Florida.

I have a Magic Pie with 4 12 volt batteries running it they have 12 amp hours each .

It had been sitting a few weeks because of a flat rear tire . Where the motor is of course It was easy to change and I honostly forget if I tried to run the motor before I changed the tube . Everything is hooked up right as far as I can see . I unwrapped the tape on the harness and checked the connections .

I also have a Watt's Up Meter from the model planes I do and it has been hooked up all along so I could read the specs. as I rode .. Well I took all of that off to make a simpler and shorter wiring job ... I have .....ahhhhh...Switch with a key in it .. It's a heavy duty switch like the battery switch on a boat .

I have 50 some odd volts going to the wires to the motor . all batteries are fully charged ...
     I TRUELY am sorry for the long post here just wanted to try to get all the info. I can out to
      some people that know more than me .. Thank  You Very Much For Any Advice or Help You Can Give Me......Thanks Again, Don J

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:58:48 PM by spellchecker »

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: My Magic Pie Stopped Running After Sitting Inside 3 Months .
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 07:08:41 AM »

I just wanted to be clear that this bike is the best thing since sliced bread and I love it ...Things break sometime and I the end I may find its something loose that I did ..  Goldenmotors are lightyears ahead of anyone ..... Thank You , Don J
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:56:21 PM by spellchecker »

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 07:29:06 AM »
Are you sure the batteries haven't lost their capacity?
And are you sure the connections are made correctly, if you do get current to the motor:
try to disconnect every component and shortcut the throttle
if the wheels start to spin(may need a push to start) you'll have something wrong with the wiring or the component.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:56:00 PM by spellchecker »

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 08:06:56 AM »
Hey Don

Do you have any throttle lights?
Disconnect your battery connector, wait about 5 seconds and with your switch on does it spark?

If you have a multimeter, connect your common lead to GND and check your red wire for 5v+
Then check your purple wire (that also goes to your throttle). This should read the same as your battery voltage.

If you have throttle lights, 5v+ on the red wire and no beeps coming from your pie then I'm not sure where to point you.

If you don't have throttle lights, no 5v+ on red wire then I would assume your connections are to blame.

Hopefully it's the connections :)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Checking for poor ground wire connection on main harness
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 12:43:49 AM »
Quote from: diverdon
    Hello Bikemad , I did the jumper wire trick you told me about .. Pretty cool the motor ran .. Now all I need to know is what to do now ,,, I tried the extra Throttle that the kit came with and it doesn't work either .

Please any help you can give mw to get this bike going will REALLY be Appreciated ... Thank you , Don J. 

Don,

It sounds like it could be a poor connection on one of the black wires that are "daisychained" across all of the main harness connectors shown in this diagram:

If this is the case, you will need to check the continuity of the black wires by using a voltmeter:
With everything connected up as normal and the battery turned on, push the negative (Black) probe on your voltmeter into the rear or the pedelec connector where the black wire goes in.
Now test the voltage using the Positive (Red) Probe on each of the three wires (Red, White and Black) in turn and record the reading.

Red wire should be ~4.5-5V
White wire should be ~0.8-1V with throttle released and ~3.5-4V on full throttle
Black wire should be ~0V

If all three readings are ~0V try moving you negative (Black) meter probe to the battery Negative connection and then recheck the above readings.
You can also check if all of the black wires connections on each of the plugs is ~0V
A reading of more than 0.5V on any of the black wires would indicate a poor connection somewhere in the linked ground circuit (The black wires on the main harness).

I recommend you do this test with the wheel off the ground, as the motor could start working on full power if a broken ground connection is momentarily touched together and then separated again.

Let me know how you get on.

Alan

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 03:48:02 PM »
Well Alan, if he's not going to thank you, then I am.  Really useful diagram and electrical test procedure to know how to do.

Cheers :)

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 08:12:28 PM »
Well Alan, if he's not going to thank you, then I am.  Really useful diagram and electrical test procedure to know how to do.

Cheers :)

Hello All , I have just looked at this post for the first time in months. 2011 hasn't started out so well for me health wise..

Alan has been sooo great for helping me before . along with several others .
       I am gonna print out the posts he did for me and see if I can figure this out now . I have lights at the throttle and have tried a second throttle assy. as golden motors shipped me both the thumb and handle throttles.

I am shocked but the batteries are still fully charged . Thanks Again for the help... Don J.

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 01:49:23 AM »

Hello All ,

Alan your directions were great for how to test these harnesses . I did it twice same tester but last time was with new batteries in the meter . It reads fine on any other "Test" battery .... But
   on the red wire where you said it should be 4.5-5 volts .. I have 0.68 volts there .
   on the white wire-------------------------0.8-1v then 3.5 to 4V with full throttle ..
   mine has 0.77 volt and doesn't change with throttle application.. ?sp(
   Now the Black wire was at 0 volts like you said

I checked all of the connections . the motor has a good 48 volts going to it throttle/battery light works but not the motor ..

Now you could tell me the peanut butter level was low I'd have to believe you I know nothing about this system .. Was an all round auto mech thru the 80's but righty tighty is all I remember ...

If anyone has any suggestions then Thanks if not then thanks anyhow .... D.J.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:53:45 PM by spellchecker »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 02:18:04 AM »

Don, as the motor ran when you tried the jumper test, you must have had more than 1.25V on pin 6 (the red wire) for it to do so, therefore it might be a poor connection at one end of the red wire.

Put your meter leads into the red and black wires of the pedelec connector and check for 4.5-5V, then try wiggling the 8 pin connector plug with the meter still connected and see if the reading changes, then try wiggling the leads at the throttle connector.

If wiggling the connectors makes no difference, try unplugging the throttle connector and check the voltage again.

Let us know what you find.

Alan

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 03:23:31 AM »

Hello Alan , Thanks for your reply . I must have mis-wrote something the motor hasn't run since Jan at least but it worked fine when I parked it last time I used it ... Maybe last Nov?

I will try the things you suggested .. Thanks Again for your help. It's fun working on these things till they don't work but you don't know why ... Thanks Again , Don

P.S. - I forgot to ask .. When you were asking for voltage readings .. You did mean to follow the wire from the 8 pin conn. and do the voltage check at that end/junction

What I mean is .."the voltage reading is Not to be taken from The Open -8 Pin Connector"..??  Right ... Thanks again
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:16:11 AM by diverdon »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 12:10:37 PM »
When you were asking for voltage readings .. You did mean to follow the wire from the 8 pin conn. and do the voltage check at that end/junction

What I mean is .."the voltage reading is Not to be taken from The Open -8 Pin Connector"..??  Right ... Thanks again

Don, I was just trying to provide an easy means of checking the reading on the throttle +5V supply lead by simply putting the meter probes into the red and black wires of the pedelec connector, but if you think you can check for 5V between pins 2 and 6 on the 8pin socket (without accidentally shorting them together) then a reading directly from there might be useful.

If you push a couple of short lengths of thin insulated wires into each of the two individual sockets (2 and 6), it might make it easier to test without inadvertently touching the meter probes against each other.

I used a couple of small resistors (instead of the insulated wires) when I measured my voltages.

Alan

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »

Hello Alan , Thanks for the reply so fast .. I will Do That .. I am on a work-sleep , work-sleep schedule right but Wed. I'm off and witt check it again and the other way also ... Thanks , I really like this bike and would'nt have any idea what to do if you weren't here ... Great service you help LOTS of people ... Thanks , Don

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 09:55:16 AM »
Sounds like you need a little less work, and a little more sleep there Donmeister ;)