Author Topic: Magic pie , is it waterproof?  (Read 5897 times)

Offline moopro

• Confirmed
Magic pie , is it waterproof?
« on: May 23, 2011, 12:46:43 PM »
I am just asking if you can use it in raining weather... ?  Not that I will do it but Iam asking because sometimes when you are outside it start raining , then what can I do ? I think I will be able to cover the battery and cables , but what about the hub motor? (Magic Pie 1000w)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic pie , is it waterproof?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 01:28:40 PM »
Hiya mooman !

Read this post ;)

Yes it will still work :D

Offline JS

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 12:55:02 PM »
I am just asking if you can use it in raining weather... ?  Not that I will do it but Iam asking because sometimes when you are outside it start raining , then what can I do ? I think I will be able to cover the battery and cables , but what about the hub motor? (Magic Pie 1000w)
Well, I'd say it's not waterproof.
There's no shaft seals, and the waterproofing of the side plates is.. well, how should I say it.. feeble at best. There were a bit of silicone here and there so at least someone tried.

So, with silicone and perhaps lots of grease it could be made at least temporarily rain-proof. I would concentrate on keeping the battery and bms dry.

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 08:32:01 PM »
Ive been 3000 miles now on my pies....they have been through massive rain that has seen my panniers with 1 inch of water in the bottom....the pie has been soaked time and time again.....

ever the slightest hitch...keep the battery and connections dry, but the pie has never been a problem for me
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 09:14:17 PM »
I have had the prokit 901 for 3 years now, and last month I had to replace the bearings. There was a light surface rust on the magnets and some on the stator, but not too bad.

I would advise against trying to waterproof the motor, unless you're sure you can get it to IPX8 standard... ;) Usually, moisture will get in the motor more easily than it will get out; especially if attempt on waterproofing have been performed.  :P

Offline suprted1

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 02:56:30 PM »
I now use a external 0282 controller, and filled all openings with vaselin, who is a underestimated water-proofing stuff. Has worked very well on all my other projects, and RC model cars, running in a lot of water.
Suprted1

26" Rear MPII, 14/15S LiPo, but I need to fix several spokes after the first testride of 20-30Km. Topspeed 50kh/h 35-40 on flat road, I neeeeed more :):)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 12:07:17 PM »
I now use a external 0282 controller, and filled all openings with vaselin, who is a underestimated water-proofing stuff. Has worked very well on all my other projects, and RC model cars, running in a lot of water.

clever man!!

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 12:45:13 PM »
I would also say I have been caught in the rain a few times and the most amazing part is when you get out of the rain the motor is the dryest part of the bike. I think this is due to the warmth of the motor and the centrifical force pushing the water away from the motor as it spins.

I did have one incident once where my bike was sitting in a downpour and the angle it was on was allowing water to go into the front of the battery by the plug. I crossed my fingers and turned it on but nothing happened. I thought the battery was toast. I took both end covers off at home and sat it on a floor vent for a few days. Even though it was summer and the air was cool as it was from the Air conditioner the battery dried out.  It worked fine after that. I still use it today, probably a 100 charges since.

So I would aggree with the others and focus on the battery in wet wheather and not worry about the wheel.

Gary