Author Topic: Medical update *** Be careful about eye problems *** please read my experience  (Read 4373 times)

Offline Webby

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
No need to panic but thought I would share this with everyone to avoid a similar problem - take heed for your own sake!

background: I commute with pie 40miles per day and wear ordinary glasses. Recently I felt a very tiny lump on both eyes between the edge of my cornea and my nose i.e. on the white of my eye. Now in my book you don't bugg*r about with your eyes and you get them seen to ASAP .. so I did at the weekend.

My optician diagnosed a Pinguecula (ping-gwek-u-lah) which is a non-cancerious growth and if un checked can develop into a Pterygium (tur-ridge-ium) and end up covering part of the cornea leading to impared vision and minor surgery!  :'(

Cause: (for those intrested): environment, dry conditions, wind! and UV!. Of course my new found 28mph pie machine is by now looking as guilty as a puppy next to a pile of pooh. Apparently the condition appears only at 3 and 9 o'clock on the edge of the cornea because your eyelid protects the 12 and 6 o'clock positions. Between the nose and cornea is most susceptable because of the wind is kind of 'blowing' your tears to the edge of your eye even if wearing glasses - it all makes perfect sense now.

To stop this from getting worse (I caught it early) I am now the proud owner of a pair of Speg morph goggles/glasses. Very discret goggles that keep all the wind and UV out. The slight worry is that apparently the condition dose not ever go away but you can stop the development by taking action, luckily you can't see them while they are very small.

So if you can feel the wind around your naked eye and cover quite a bit of distance then take action ASAP folks.

Hope it helps.
Webby

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
wow dude. ..since having the pie, there are so many things we need to think about, metal fatigue, eye fatigue, ball fatigue.......its truly hazerdous these green lark  :o

hope all is good with you soon buddy
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline Lil_Sunshine

I promptly went to the hardware store & bought safety goggle the 1st day of spring. I thought I was gonna go blind from the pollen in the sir this year!

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic

Of course my new found 28mph pie machine is by now looking as guilty as a puppy next to a pile of pooh.

Thats hilarious! Sorry to hear of your condition. I just did a web search and found those glasses, Very cool. Just ordered a pair for myself!

Gary

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
You guys are nuts!

But thanks for the heads up Webby!

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Nuts maybe. I did put several hundred thousand miles on motorcycles in my younger days and most rides were shoes, shorts, helmet, sunglasses and occasional a t-shirt. Never had any eye problems then. But I looked at those glasses and they would be great for those tiny little flies that hang about in swarms on the bike path in the twilight hours ;)

Gary

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Wearing Morph glasses is acceptable, but please don't wear the Morph suit:

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Wow! thats quite the transition from the look you had when you were in the 4 wheeler back in the 70's

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
I think he's checking that rear tyre for lions ;)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
I think he's checking that rear tyre for lions ;)

It's surprising how easily they can become lodged in the tread, they just pounce on it without considering the consequences:

Alan