Author Topic: Soundproofing the Magic Pie  (Read 9292 times)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Wheel covers
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 06:16:31 PM »

He should paint them to look like alloy wheels as in the attachment below.

Alan

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
Re: Soundproofing the Magic Pie
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 06:27:06 PM »
I got an idea, take a picture of a normal non pie wheel, then get it printed supersize on your cover....invisible pie  :)
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 07:31:26 PM »
I dare not put a cover on both wheels for fear of getting blown over in windy weather!! :o

A front wheel cover will probably make the steering very dodgy, so that's out too.  I will definatley also need to remove the rear brake caliper and modify the wheel cover....  it's not going to fit, is it? :D :D

and it's black not pink,  but it does have some 80's graphics on it, dooh, it's going from bad to worse..., but I do like the idea of a vinyl wrap of alloy wheels,  perhaps gold ones ;) - lol

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 07:33:58 PM by Andrew »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 01:49:17 AM »
I am starting to think that wheel covers would also hold in the heat :(

Gary

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 09:05:37 AM »
I am starting to think that wheel covers would also hold in the heat :(

Gary

I'm not worried about that. I think air will still be able to circulate enough, the pie in question has an external motor, heat maybe more of a problem with an internal.  I'm more worried about actual fitment than anything else. In my opinion its worth a go.  :)

Offline Lil_Sunshine

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 03:44:37 AM »
I am almost done stealthing my bike. I have laced black vinyl  wheel covers over the motor made.  I am currently sewing battery cover/rear rack case out of the same vinyl. I will post pics when I am done. This is taking way longer than I thought it would. It's been a long time since I sewed.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 04:04:12 AM »
I am almost done stealthing my bike. I have laced black vinyl  wheel covers over the motor made.  I am currently sewing battery cover/rear rack case out of the same vinyl. I will post pics when I am done. This is taking way longer than I thought it would. It's been a long time since I sewed.

That sounds very interesting, I look forward to the pictures.

Gary

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 07:21:44 AM »
I am almost done stealthing my bike. I have laced black vinyl  wheel covers over the motor made.  I am currently sewing battery cover/rear rack case out of the same vinyl. I will post pics when I am done. This is taking way longer than I thought it would. It's been a long time since I sewed.

Yes pictures would be great.   I'm currently designing a bespoke battery frame bag which I intend to post about very soon :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 12:33:34 AM by spellchecker »

Offline David Merrill

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 07:28:03 PM »
If Philip would kindly get together in Engineering, a capacitor (maybe 3) could be plugged into the power connector to silence the "voice coil" effect in the MP without a loss of power. A filter.

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 08:03:03 PM »
just get a large pannier :)....works great for me.....since I moved from front to rear pie, all I can hear now is my big apple tyres rollin....great for the countryside ;)
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline Lil_Sunshine

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 11:12:50 PM »
I ended up using vinyl to make my wheel covers.  I still haven't taken pics because the bike was in the shop for a while.  I need to get to that soon, I know.  

But, I wanted to write this post because the trail by my house is getting really strict with respect to electric bikes.  The police have been patrolling the trail (on motorcycles no less!).  And, they have posted on Twitter asking the public to turn in anyone with an electric bike on the trail.

This morning, as I road my Joy-Ebike with its panniers and wheel cover concealing any hint of electric power, a lycra-clad road biker road next to me and asked about my wheel cover.  I told him it was a wheel cover and that it kept my skirt and dresses from getting caught in my spokes.  He said "I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a motor."  I looked at him as though he had just started speaking another language (thumb on the throttle the entire time).  And, he sped past me.

Looks like my fears were well founded!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 12:21:20 AM by Lil_Sunshine »

Offline Lil_Sunshine

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 12:25:34 AM »
just get a large pannier :)....works great for me.....since I moved from front to rear pie, all I can hear now is my big apple tyres rollin....great for the countryside ;)

I really do need the covers to keep my long skirts and dresses out of the spokes.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 12:36:27 AM by Lil_Sunshine »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2011, 09:50:01 AM »
I too have managed to get a wheel cover over my rear pie wheel. I have not had time to put it onto  a bike and test it yet but I did have slight fitment problems. The freewheel hub will now only tkae a 5 cog freewheel, when spining the freewheel on the hub the plastic wheel cover seems to amplify it's already loud sound, not helped by purchasing the cheapest of the cheap freewheel for fleabay.  the reason that I want a wheekl cover is so I can get rid of having a rear rack and having the battery in a large frame bag.