Author Topic: Soundproofing the Magic Pie  (Read 9293 times)

Offline Magzy

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Soundproofing the Magic Pie
« on: May 24, 2011, 05:30:27 AM »
For one reason or another the Magic pie rings like a bell when under load. This attracts unwanted attention.  Perceived or real, I know this doesn't bother some of our worldly counterparts but for others in more "jurisdictionally zealous" parts of the world, it's a bit of a concern.

This is an accepted fact of having a Magic pie. And one that is well hidden in the annals of the GM website (i.e. there's no data /info for the noise it makes)

Not one to be defeated in this venture, I'm looking for ways to dampen the electrical pinging noise that attracts unwanted attention from various entities. - Unofficial or otherwise in order to attain a level of stealth that would put the MP into the next level of stealthiest.

So I have embarked on a mini project to remove or dampen the pinging pulses pinging noise that reverberates through the MP housing and makes it ring like a bell.

I'd like to use this thread as a discussion for ideas, development and testing of various solutions so that other MP owners can contribute to and use.

There are a few possible solutions:
Sound absorbing acoustic tiles. http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Sound+Absorbing+Acoustic+Tiles
These are tiles made of foam that trap the resonant waves of sound in the mid to high frequency range (i.e. not bass sounds) which falls into the range of our MP pinging noise. The sound energy is then converted into heat energy where it dissipates.
The trick here is to place this foam in the most advantageous spot on the MP so that the sounds are absorbed in the most efficient manner while absorbing the most sound.

I was thinking inside the motor would be one option but the big issue here it heat. You're effectively insulating all that heat inside the motor and this could spell trouble unless some sort of ventilation is introduced.

The other option is to place foam on the outside of the motor having placed acoustic foam in wheel covers - which would also look cool. see: http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en&safe=active&biw=1263&bih=528&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=polo+bike+wheel+covers&oq=polo+bike+wheel+covers&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=9507l10179l0l5l3l0l0l0l2l323l636l3-2

This would also add to the stealth factor because you would not be able to see or hear the motor. If the motor has acoustic tiles on the inside AND outside, then this stealth solution would even put The Predator to shame.

As long as you can manage that heat then this could work.

Time to foam up!

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:41:01 AM by Magzy »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Re: Soundproofing the Magic Pie
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 06:18:09 AM »
I' ve been dabbling with the idea of getting a cheapish wheel cover but i'm not sure whether one will fit over the pie, you may also have to widen the center axle hole in the wheel cover. I guess it would be trial and error. Have you tried fitting a wheel cover?

Offline Magzy

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 07:19:05 AM »
Wheel covers can be made from anything reasonably suitable - cardboard works ok - but not when wet.
Plastic is more robust - even cloth, correctly tied on would work.

Carbon fibre would be excellent. These guys www.carbonmods.co.uk do kits to do almost anything with carbon. And quite cheap as well. <$100 worth of materials to build a solid lightweight wheel cover with 5 times the tensile strength of steel at 20% of the weight.

Of course, the holy grail from here would be to create a carbon copy of the Pie Motor housing and stator and then have pie weighing just 1.2 kg  instead of 6.somethig kg :P :P :P

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 05:04:15 PM »
I've always fancied the idea of oil cooling the pie like they do with over clocked pc's.

Just wondered if that would quieten it down.

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 05:47:39 PM »
Now, is it really the covers themselves that vibrates, or is it the spokes that resonates?!

Offline T5T

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 06:48:39 PM »
Could there be a possibility to spray the inside of the motor housing with rubber coating and a (a relatively thick coating)

Just an idea.

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 07:07:41 PM »
you can make a cheap wheel disc from a plastic estate agents sign. make a wide cone shape for each side and cable tie to the spokes

Actually, i've just found this...http://youtu.be/IfoAJicjNJc
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:18:50 PM by Andrew »

Offline Webby

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 08:14:02 PM »
I like the jet and huumm sound of the pie but I also like the idea of dampening the sound down very much but something tells me that unless a fellow Pie colleague on this forum is an acoustics engineer and can put 'listeners' on the pie while on full throttle and also while under max strain up a hill, then analyse the sound data and come up with a targeted solution - then we might be stabbing in the dark.

Perhaps a noise cancelling device is the future, they are developing these for commercial flights with props rather than jets - it might be neat?  :-\

In the meantime the only additional idea I can come up with is to use the extra space in the pie to fill up with those moisture silica control pads you get with electronics when being shipped (things that look like little teabags). That way you could 'seal' the pie in the best sound insulation available and not worry about moisture. :) (but you would have to add the replacement of these to your service routine though)

Offline Lil_Sunshine

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 07:48:27 AM »
I am going to try this! I am not technically inclined so I will see if soundproofing the outside will works first. I can make some wheel covers then use spray adhesive to attach some acoustic foam to them. The wheel covers will work nicely as a skirt guard as well.  Make that skirt/coat guard for you guys.  ;D

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 09:16:24 AM »
What we have a female forum member?? Scarce...

Unless you wear a kilt?

I'm pretty sure Gary uses his guard for his cape

;)

Offline Lil_Sunshine

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 01:56:38 PM »
LOL! I am indeed a female member. You guys have been great. I don't feel the least bit out of place (except for the fact that I am terrified at the idea of going more than the legal limit on my bike).

I have the Golden Motor Joy Ebike. It does not have the Magic Pie on it. It has the smaller 36V 500w motor. Overheating probably won't be a problem especially with my usage pattern (moderate hills & slow speeds). But, just in case, how hot is too hot?

What we have a female forum member?? Scarce...

Unless you wear a kilt?

I'm pretty sure Gary uses his guard for his cape

;)

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 08:41:06 PM »
well I think the general guideline from most of the people I have spoken to is that if its too hot to touch, its too hot....

welcome to the forum ;).....
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline Lil_Sunshine

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 03:51:00 AM »
Thank you & thank you!

well I think the general guideline from most of the people I have spoken to is that if its too hot to touch, its too hot....

welcome to the forum ;).....

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »
I just done an ebay purchase of a 1980's wheel disc plastic cover so hopefully I get tell you all soon whether they will fit over the pie

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 06:07:45 PM »
Get a pink one, or yellow.........police will never notice lol :D
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute