Author Topic: Infineon controller for Golden Motor  (Read 25456 times)

Offline Electrobent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Infineon controller for Golden Motor
« on: February 26, 2011, 05:22:37 AM »
My 12 FET controller has arrived.  I find some posts on endless sphere saying that I would have to swap the yellow and blue hall and phase wires Y-B, B-Y, G-G.  Can anyone here confirm this?

Also how many amps can a 1000W GM hub handle?

What about the stock phase wires?

Thanks,

--Eric

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Infineon controller for Golden Motor
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 11:33:19 AM »
Hey buddy

Yes you are correct, but you didn't look hard enough lol

I saved this one time I saw it, I just paste it stuff like that in notes and search for it from time to time. Looks like thats a good thing ;)

Phase sequence for infineon: [I found this on ES somewhere, didn't record the topic...]

I think this works for Kelly controllers also.

From wheel = Blue Green Yellow
To controller = Yellow Green Blue

You could use the stock wires with a 40A infineon controller, anything beefier and I would be changing the phase wires to at least 12AWG

The most powerful pie conversion I found on youtube once was a 18" cast MP laced into a motorbike wheel then on a MTB running 110v from memory. I wouldn't peak the wheel past say 80A but I would say something around 60A would be the pain point. Are you going to try and let us know? hehe

Offline Electrobent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 02:35:32 PM »
thanks for the confirmation and I'll try to keep from frying anything.

Offline kmleon77

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 08:21:42 PM »
HELLO
please where did you buy the infineon controller? ebike.ca ? cos I am about to buy one but hesitate between the 35 and THE 40 A
I am afraid of the 40 A in an intensive way ! I do not want the motor to heat to much
I just want to have power when I need some
how many A does the GM controller has ?
thanks
fred
2 MP external controllers and 1 MP internal (avatar)
2 VTT for fun and one yuba to take my children to school
all this with 48V10Ah lipo batteries
waiting for MP3 : is it going to be more powerfull ?????

Offline kmleon77

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 08:24:55 PM »
hello
forgot to say I AM USING A 48V10Ah battery
fred
2 MP external controllers and 1 MP internal (avatar)
2 VTT for fun and one yuba to take my children to school
all this with 48V10Ah lipo batteries
waiting for MP3 : is it going to be more powerfull ?????

Offline Electrobent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 02:45:01 AM »
My controller has a sticker that says "EC-124110LD Lyen Edition"

That means it has 12 4110 100V MOSFETs.

I bought from Edward Lyen to whom I was referred on Endless Sphere where his username is "lyen"

http://www24.brinkster.com/lyen/beta/

I just sent him a private message on Endless Sphere and told him what wheel (48V 1000W pre-Pie) and batteries (48V 10 AH, NiMH mounted 3/4 of an inch apart so that they can cool) and asked him what he had that would work for me.  He gave me the choice between 12 and 18 FET models. 

I think I was advised into the 4110 because of regen--I'll never be able to fry those 100V FETs.  Most of his customers lay down braid to beef-up the traces on the circuit board.  I hope to add in my extra 24V worth of cells (left over from combing two 36V packs into 1 48V pack) to get to 72 Volts. These airgapped NiMH cells are good for regen as they require no BMS and are rated at 5C (50A).

I bought the USB cable and downloaded the software and will set up my three-way hardware switch to set three max amp settings conservatively at first. 

I think that the stock GM controllers are a little less than 20A.

I have been told that my wheel can handle way more than that.  I don't, however, think that my batteries can (in terms of range--they can spit 50A but probably last a lot longer if they don't).  I can't see needing more than 30 for my purposes.  I don't want to go 40 mph!  I chicken out in the mid 30s on the crappy roads they have around here.  (Can you say "Crumbling Infrastructure?")

I plan to put it all together tomorrow and will post how it works out and whether or not any wire swapping is required.

--Eric

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 12:25:03 PM »
I plan to put it all together tomorrow and will post how it works out and whether or not any wire swapping is required.

Eric, if it's based on the standard Infineon controller the wires should be the same as GM's:

I got it to work with this way of connecting:
Mp phase wires: same as controller   y to y / b to b / g to g
From the throttle to controller: white goes to green / black to black / red to red ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It will be interesting to hear what difference it makes to your motor's performance.

Try not to cook those NiCds. ;)

Alan

Offline Electrobent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 12:46:35 AM »
Ok, she is together and charged up.  I did have to do the Blue Yellow swap.  Have not tried any programming yet.  Out for a ride now.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 01:53:28 AM »
I think it may be due to a difference between the HBS and the Magic Pie:

Did you have to swap the Blue and Yellow hall sensor wires as well, or just the phase wires?

Anyway, it's nearly 2:00am here, so I'll have to read your report on the test run with the new controller when I get up again later today!  ;D

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:46:16 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Electrobent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 02:49:32 AM »
I swapped yellow and blue on both the hall and phase wires. 

I have not yet tried any programming.

Speed 1 is really wussy,

Speed 2 is a little less than what I had.

Speed 3 is probably 30% more than I had.

I went on my standard ride: 18.15 miles.  Elevation gain of a 1000 feet. High Speed 25 mph.  Got home with 49.5 volts left.  (Forgot to measure on the way out but it is usually 57.5 or so fully charged.

The regen seems to be on a little bit whenever you are not on the throttle and a little bit more when you squeeze the brake.  I think I want to lower the always on amount and increase the when you squeeze the brake amount.  I stopped at the top of the very steep hill where the GM controller started beeping at me and felt both the hub and the controller.  Both were ever so slightly warm to the touch. 

I think I'll be goosing everything up a notch. 

This will be sweet at 72 Volts!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 11:57:51 AM »

I bought the USB cable and downloaded the software and will set up my three-way hardware switch to set three max amp settings conservatively at first. 

I have not yet tried any programming.

Speed 1 is really wussy,

Speed 2 is a little less than what I had.

Speed 3 is probably 30% more than I had.

Eric, it's good to hear that the modified Infineon controller is working so well, but are you getting 30% more speed or 30% more power?
I'm guessing it gives better acceleration and more hill climbing power, but a similar top speed to the GM controller.

Any chance you can post a link to the software? as it would be interesting to see exactly what parameters can be adjusted on that controller.

It would also be good to know how many amps are allowed at each of the three pre-set max amp settings. Perhaps you can post a screenshot showing the default settings. (Press "Alt" + "Prt Scr" and then paste into Paint, Word or another art package and then save.)

Alan

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 01:47:13 PM »
I stopped at the top of the very steep hill where the GM controller started beeping at me and felt both the hub and the controller.  Both were ever so slightly warm to the touch. 

I did that after a long ride, checked the back - no worries, put my hand to the other side of the front and YOWCHHHHHH -- I accidently touched the disc brake...

Won't make that mistake again lolllllllllll

Offline Electrobent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 04:21:32 PM »
I was asked not to share the technical stuff but I did find this link on ES that makes most of it a matter of public information:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7361

Offline Electrobent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 03:14:53 AM »
Today I wired an el cheapo harbor fright digital voltmeter in parallel with my battery right where it enters (exits) the controller.  57.4 Volts out the door.  I left the speed switch on III the whole time.  (Yesterday I got the guts to try it halfway up the 1000 foot hill.)  I did use more juice and was crawling up the super-steep part at 40.3 V in my lowest gear.  The level recovered to 49.5 with the load removed and going down the super-steep hill earned a volt.  I finished with a no-load voltage of 48.5.  This is 6 1/2 volts above the most conservative LVC but it is already dead for practical purposes.

The most I got from regen was 55.1 V. 

NiMH can be charged at between 1.4V and 1.6V per cell.  I have 40 cells now (with plans to go to 60).

40 X 1.4 = 56
40 X 1.6 = 64

So it seems that I can safely goose that a little unless I move to San Francisco.

The infineon has both throttle and brake regen.  They both brake the same amount.  With the throttle brake, you have to twist the throttle a little to coast.  If you slow down enough, it will let go so you have to squeeze the brake lever to come to a complete stop.  Its not quite as much brake as my stock GM controller.  So this too, suggests goosing the regen a bit.   

The throttle regen takes a little getting used to, but is nice once you do. I was going to turn it off but now I think I'll keep it.  With any luck I can use the throttle to ease into a brake set at a higher level. 

Still hoping to hear from Edward Lyen how he set it up before he sent it to me.

Rain is forecast . . . 

--Eric

Offline Electrobent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 03:50:14 AM »
Well, I got up the guts to reprogram my controller.

I wish I hadn't because now it is not working.

ARGH

Now we will see how good Edward Lyen's customer support is.