Author Topic: buying pie what controller battery  (Read 16244 times)

Offline rollin76

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
buying pie what controller battery
« on: January 15, 2011, 06:38:21 PM »
hello I am going to buy Magic Pie 26 inch 1000w with 48v 20a battery.has anyone had any problems with this battery?I have been looking through the forms and people are saying that the controllers are not that great.Thinking about going with an infineon controller. any suggestions?This will be my first ebike and I would like to get it right the first time lol.

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Re: buying pie what controller battery
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 08:29:12 PM »
Hi,,
try and buy from a dealer in your own country and not direct from China, that is if you want an honoured 1 year warranty.  I purchased my first pie kit from china, and did have an issue when it arrived, it was a quality control issue not electronic or mechanical, very luckily I got it all sorted out locally, but it could have been a disaster if that did not happen.
My second pie kit has come through a dealer elsewhere in the world, but at least there is no language barrier and I can get instant replies to emails, or even phone direct if it became absolutely necessary.

By the way I'm in the UK and purchsed by second kit from Canada.

hope this is of help.

infineon controllers are well thought of, i'm not sure whether they will connect directly to the Pie or if modifications will be needed?? and I doubt it will improve performance. But i'm sure they would be more reliable.  but saying that I know nothing about them and have never used one. :-\

Andrew

Offline rollin76

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 06:35:35 PM »
Thanks for the advice Andrew.I ordered from gm Canada as thats where I live.300.00 for shipping?I don't know why it is so much.I got the 26 inch 48v mp with external controller with programing cable.I was reading that the 48v 12a batterys from gm are only good for 20 amp continuos so I went with 48v 20amp ping battery.total cost to my door 1338.00 with 2 torque arms.Should be here in a week.Cant wait.I will try the gm controller for now ,see how long it lasts. 

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 07:25:47 PM »
the price you have paid would have been the same from China, and China is as cheap as you'll find. But you have the added bonus of a real warranty.  The ping battery sounds like a beast. I've just today got two pie's running together on the same bike, and the torque/power is awesome ;D

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 06:47:32 AM »
with 2 torque arms

Hey mate which torque arms did you find?

Cheers

Offline rollin76

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 06:11:38 PM »
the price you have paid would have been the same from China, and China is as cheap as you'll find. But you have the added bonus of a real warranty.  The ping battery sounds like a beast. I've just today got two pie's running together on the same bike, and the torque/power is awesome ;D

I was going to try the dual pie setup but since this is my first try at an ebike im going to start with single pie.I think my battery can handle 2 pies so maybe upgrade in the near future.What kind of battery are you using for your setup?The 48v gm ping lithium batteries are 12ah rated at 35a max discharge 20a continuous and the 20ah battery rated at 60a max discharge and 40a continuous.What kind of range are you getting? I got the double hose clamp torque arms from GM Canada, see how they work.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:36:13 AM by Bikemad »

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 12:03:40 AM »
Hi Rollin76,

From reading your posts about controllers, I'm thinking you bought the external controller pie?

If you did then the infineon controller is fantastic and mine still works, I got the 40 amp which is the max that the ping will take, but the ping is a really good battery and all the cells balance fine every time! I also have the 48 volt 20 amp

I originally bought the internal controller pie and modded it and baked it lol! But at 80 amps it was incredible!

Anyway at 40 amps, you wouldn't need a dual pie setup. The pie barely gets warm at 40 amps and it's really powerful. It climbs hills like they are downhill! Just watch your phase wires and make sure they don't fry.

The pie really comes alive @40 amps, but it's max speed is 24 mph, if that's no problem for you then I'm sure you will be more than happy.

I would love to feed 80 amps through my pie and 72 volts, maybe in the future as I save enough money, for higher C batteries. My ping should last a few years anyway. And the Pie motor should last several years! :-)

How far along are you with your setup?

Mark

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 01:16:38 PM »
with 2 torque arms

Hey mate which torque arms did you find?

Cheers
GM Canada have on their website torque arms.... Trying to find here in Norway, but.... Hard to find...

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 03:18:11 PM »
Hi Rollin76,

How far along are you with your setup?

Mark

Not sure if rollin76 is up to responding but I can answer this. unfortunatly he just received his battery and it is badly damaged. Understandable major disapointment ???. I'm working on it.

Gary

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 06:47:47 PM »
unfortunatly he just received his battery and it is badly damaged.

Gary, do you think Monkey's been trying to see what's inside it?
I really don't know what it looks like inside that pack but if you end up getting one, or someone else owns one they can post pics up would be awesome

Let us know if you get that 20Ah pack it looks nice and beefy :)

They certainly do look beefy, but it's a shame it hasn't been able to survive the delivery process.
I'm guessing it arrived direct from China, and then became very brittle in the extreme cold of the current Canadian climate?

Let's hope its replacement has a more successful trip!

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:35:06 PM by Bikemad »

Offline rollin76

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 11:17:37 AM »
Thats the post office for yah lol I was just reading an article in popular science about the abuse parcels take during a trip across america.packages suffering g forces equivalent to being dropped to ground from 4 or 5 feet many times during trip.Thats with fragile labeled all over package.My box did not say fragile anywhere on box.These batterys should be shipped in a little wood crate or something.I will post some more pics when I get my camera back.I borrowed friends cam to take pics of damage for Gary to send to gm china.Not the same battery as one on gm web site but I like the dimentions of this one L350mm  W185mm  H135mm with wires exiting from top.Compaired to the one currently on gm web site L330mm W170mm H210mm.battery voltage is 56v if im reading my crappy volt meter right.I can see the cells in the corner of pack are dented .My bikes ready to go just need battery.Garys working on it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 12:14:19 PM by spellchecker »

Offline rollin76

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 11:41:32 AM »
more pics soon

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 12:33:28 PM »
Hey do you know if this part on the battery mold is for a temp sensor/breaker or is it just blank for a keyswitch etc.?

Offline rollin76

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 12:41:42 PM »
that is a cap that you slide sideways to reveal charge plug.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:50:01 PM by rollin76 »

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 07:03:46 AM »
Hi Rollin 76,

I thought you bought the ping battery ?

Mark