Author Topic: M.P. ???  (Read 3344 times)

Offline niceguysteve

• Confirmed
M.P. ???
« on: November 21, 2010, 01:21:48 AM »
1) To use the (reverse) toggle button on the throttle as an off switch would I ;
 take the yellow and brown wires from the throttle and connect them to the switch wire that comes from G ?
2) At present I'm using the (alarm) button beside the cruise to activate the regenerative brake. This seems more reliable for winter as the spring on the brake lever can snap or freeze up. Is this ok with the electrical and controller functions and such ?
 3) As it gets colder I leave the charger on all night (outside ) under a vapourbarrier tent. It seems to have more power when I do this. The temperature is already just under freezing at night.
When do have to take the battery inside to charge ?
      Ride Safe ....nice guy steve

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: M.P. ???
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 01:56:16 AM »
1) To use the (reverse) toggle button on the throttle as an off switch would I ;
 take the yellow and brown wires from the throttle and connect them to the switch wire that comes from G ?

If you connect into the wire going to "G" it might be possible to activate the anti-theft function, but I doubt your controller is old enough to support it. My Magic Pie has the internal controller, so I have my throttle switch wired in parallel with the brake switches so that the motor can be disabled to prevent the bike from trying to escape on its own if the throttle is accidentally operated when the battery is connected. I find it very useful for manoeuvring the bike out of the garage between obstacles as I don't have a key switch on mine and I prefer to plug the battery in before I take the bike outside.
I also find it very useful for steep descents when off roading as I can leave the regen switched on and just let it work like an anti-lock auto descent system without touching the brakes, just like some 4x4s have.  ;) 

2) At present I'm using the (alarm) button beside the cruise to activate the regenerative brake. This seems more reliable for winter as the spring on the brake lever can snap or freeze up. Is this ok with the electrical and controller functions and such ?

It could be a problem if you needed to brake suddenly using the levers with the cruise control active as the motor would still be fighting against the brakes until the button was pushed.

3) As it gets colder I leave the charger on all night (outside) under a vapourbarrier tent. It seems to have more power when I do this. The temperature is already just under freezing at night.
When do have to take the battery inside to charge ?

Operating temperature
Charging 0 ~ 45°C
Discharging -20 ~ 60°C
Storage temperature -20 ~ 60°C
Ideally it should be above 0°C for charging, so indoor charging might be a good idea until it warms up again.
Recommended temperature for long term storage is 23±2°C

Offline niceguysteve

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 07:17:10 PM »
Hello BIKEMAD much thanks for the  reply ....
I have the external controller
Does wired in parallel mean you also have the brake lever(s) controlling the brake?
I'm not sure how to do that  ....
Sounds very useful ....do you tweak the % of regen brake to use them in the way you describe?

thx steve

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 08:30:02 PM »

Steve,

The Brown and Yellow wires from the throttle switch are connected to the two wires from the brake levers (Blue and Red on mine) which go to the blue connector.  This allows the brake levers to cut the power as normal, but it also means that the throttle switch can also cut the power (and apply regen too).

Unfortunately my pie is one of the early ones which were not programmable, so I have the factory preset level of regen, which is very effective on a 25.9V pack, but less effective when using a 51.8V pack.

Alan