Author Topic: Just Got the MP 1000w for both front + rear - NOW WHAT ?  (Read 3029 times)

Offline oznav

• Confirmed
Just Got the MP 1000w for both front + rear - NOW WHAT ?
« on: November 07, 2010, 09:46:40 AM »
Hi guys,

really excited. Just got the MP wheels for both rear and front with a 48V battery.

The Kit arrived with missing rear rack aluminum panel but I hope my china office will be able to contact Golden Motors and sort it out soon.

The box arrived with no user manual and no installation How to Guide ! Its not a cheap product you know. it should come with this kind of manual and install guide from factor if this company want to conquer mass markets.

Anyway, I am very excited and dying to start. I downloaded some file from the candaian site and searched youtube for some online video to get me through the installation.

I am not technical. maybe will require a professional bike dealer to assist me.

Please help guys. My intention is to try install both new kits on my bicycle . I would not mind install the rear first and later add the front . 

how do I connect both wheel to same battery in same time ?

how do I install the rear wheel kit ? (i have a 30 wheel latest 2010 specialized stumpjumper bike to convert to MP kit )  and I am not so sure I would be able to keep my 10 gear cassete .

is there any available video online from someone did this ? or some very detailed slideshow of step by step guide ?

please help .

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Just Got the MP 1000w for both front + rear - NOW WHAT ?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 10:21:37 AM »
Hey buddy,

Do a search on this forum for dual drive setups, there are a few to mention.

http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=2133.msg13893#msg13893
http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=2212.0
http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=1198.0

Personally, I run a single speed freewheel on an 'oversize' BMX I made with dual 20" cast wheels. Me thinks your 10spd will not be happy in there, but it really depends on the rear frame. Most cannot due to the hub casing.

As I already had some power cables to play with I made my own power cable. You basically just join the + and - of each cable. And make sure you have around a 80W soldering iron you can pick up for around $20 from anywhere. You need this to make a good power cable connection.

You purchased 2 kits so I expect you received 2 power cables. Unless ordered as a dual drive kit, your power cables I assume are already made up (pre-soldered). So you will need to cut both of them close to the big plug connector (Anderson plug) and solder the each of the +(red) and -(black) wires together. You are now left with 1 big plug, and 2 little power plugs to goto the wheels.

I know you say you are not technical, but as you are making a power cable - really look into a fuse or circuit breaker you can fit to save and hassle. You may think (I'll add that later...... but that day may never come!)

Now, as you have the GND (-) negative connection in Parallel (together) you can to the following>>
Remember the GND wire is already present (This wire is BLACK) the following COLORED wires can now be connected:

-Connect the cruise control wires together
-Connect the eBrake wires together
-Connect the throttle LED power gauge wire together

Now for the throttle there is a few suggestions here. What I did was just join my throttle signal (white) wire together and there is no worries there.

Hey will be good some see some pics of the finished bike !!!

Woooo we have to start a Dual Drive section soon I think!

Offline oznav

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 01:47:54 PM »
wow. monkey. really thanks for the details answer. I actually saw the other day your posts. it seems me and you are driven with the same passion to this thing ;-)

lets start in the basic how to setup. I will start with the rear drive, in the meantime I will contact GM to send me dual drive wirings. I just dying to hook the bike to the new engine and get rolling ;-)

i download practically every single PDF and picture I could find. I will hand those to the guy from the bike shop to help me go along the installation process .

is there any video showing how to install the kit step by step ?

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 04:50:02 PM »
Hi there,  :)

i know that this sounds obvious, but the aluminium battery  panel comes attached to the battery. Just thought i'd mention it just in case you've overlooked it.

I too am currently putting together a PIE kit onto a Specialized Stump jumper (2004 hard tail).  It seems a bit ironic but I originally bought the bike due to it's light weight. I think it weighed in at about 23lbs.  With the Pie motor and 48v battery it adds another 30lbs to the bike. so the bike now weighs 53lbs/ 24kg's.

I'm not electronically minded either, but it's been great learning about how the whole thing works. However, I've ended taking my bike to E-bike retailer for peace of mind so it can be checked out and tested properly. ;)

You will find that the rear motor and your bike will only take upto a  7 speed cassette.

I've also had a problem with the depth of the rear dropout which is very shallow due to it being designed for thin diameter quick release spindles. I would strongly suggest getting two torque arms, one for either side of the rear axles. you will need a 14mm hole in the arm, and I suspect your bike has vertical dropouts....   like these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230536935966&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
i've ended up having two bespoke washers made to hold the the axles in place, i've now also odered a torque arm as well.
the washers have a 90 degree bend on them that sit snuggly under the dropout when put on the axle. they are kind of wedged againt the sides of the frame dropout preventing movement. I will get some pictures up this week.

Also, the Pie axle will be a very tight fit, you may even have to file away some paint on the rear drop out to get it to fit. Be carefull not to damage the thread on the pie axle too when trying to get the motor in place.

just my two pence worth.

Andrew :)

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 05:31:37 PM by Andrew »

Offline oznav

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 09:24:04 PM »
hi andrew
;
thanks for the 2 cents. at this stage they worth much more ;-)

i thought I would need to settle for less that the 10 speed cassette. what a man  is willing to go through for a bit of "juice" in his twist throttle hey ? :)  :)

thanks for the link

i would definitely place an order for the torque arm.

i will take some pictures as the process will get started. hope to get some of yours so we can compare.

as to the sliding panel that allow you to mount the battery - they simply forgot to send it and now I am waiting for it to arrive from china. :(