Author Topic: 48v 500w Magic Pie problems  (Read 7062 times)

Offline askikr

48v 500w Magic Pie problems
« on: October 03, 2010, 06:05:53 AM »
I have a new Magic Pie (internal) PULLING 48 volts of lead acid... Worked nicely, easy to get up to speed...Then after 15 minutes, whether full throttle or not, motor would stop but still have power to throttle...I unplugged, and if I did not wait long enough I would get 6 beeps...So I would have to unplug and sit for a while longer...Then it goes for another 15 mins...Tried not using regen braking, still had same issues...

Now the other day I lifted the bike off the ground and spun the tire, and I get several sounds like loose parts in the motor...Is this normal?...It is still only 100 miles old!

Any Ideas???

Offline Mountain

Re: 48v 500w Magic Pie problems
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 07:00:16 AM »
When the engine is very warm, the engine have a something  hollow knocking noises, in my case it is acting  the spokes on  motors body  (resonance  like guitar)
Is it very hot in yor land ?

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 11:15:08 AM »
I have a new Magic Pie (internal) PULLING 48 volts of lead acid... Worked nicely, easy to get up to speed...Then after 15 minutes, whether full throttle or not, motor would stop but still have power to throttle...I unplugged, and if I did not wait long enough I would get 6 beeps...So I would have to unplug and sit for a while longer...Then it goes for another 15 mins...Tried not using regen braking, still had same issues...

Now the other day I lifted the bike off the ground and spun the tire, and I get several sounds like loose parts in the motor...Is this normal?...It is still only 100 miles old!

Any Ideas???

From what I have figured 6 beeps means its to hot. I don't know this for a fact but that is what I think.

The rattling in the motor is most likly not in the motor but in the rim. Quite often there is a spoke nut inside the rim that either came off one of your spokes or was dropped inside when the wheel was originally laced. Try taking off the tire, tube and protective rubber strip and see if you can shake anything out.

Gary

Offline askikr

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 03:39:55 AM »
Thanks Guys..

1) No, it is not hot here at all...0c last nite...

2)Absolutely right, Gary, 1 nut was off..Will get at tomorrow...TY.

3) How am I able to rectify this overheating, as I think it is this also, but does not seem hot to touch? Cintroller touch-up maybe?
Again, is when fast or slow, every 15 minutes...Lots of battery juice. HELP I need  more than 15 mins at a time.....

Thanks again folks.

Offline askikr

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 06:35:22 AM »
OK no feedback on controller up grades.

From what I have read I need to put the controller externally, and move up to another brand.

Any help?

Offline Spacey

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 08:48:23 AM »
Grab an infineon Controller. Bolts straight on. I have mine where the air flows so it stays cool.

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 06:20:02 PM »
With the right controller, Magic Pie is a killer. Magic Controller does a great work at the smaller motors but MP needs something that can deliver more amps.

Peter
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline askikr

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 01:44:54 AM »
Thanks Spacey I'll give her a try....

TY ALL

Offline askikr

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 01:56:57 AM »
Looked around...No good info on these?????

Can I modify the existing controller???

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 03:56:53 AM »
You can..... Spacey is the only one with his still running I think haha

So yes to answer your question, but the long answer is no...

Unless you hook a peltier plate, or some liquid cooling, and replace some caps and upgrade the FETS might be an idea

Offline Spacey

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 03:51:20 PM »
Looked around...No good info on these?????

Can I modify the existing controller???

http://ebike.ca/store/photos/C3640-NC.jpg

Mines been good for over 600 miles with this setup. As for modding the original controller I went a bit too far and was pulling over 70 amps but man it pulled like a train ;D I still have it as a backup.

Offline Mountain

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 04:20:51 PM »
I had also the magicpie with the internal controller and problems with the heat.
In my area we had in the summer about 30 degrees Celsius.
After a quarter of an hour uphill with about 15 to 20 amps, it was over.
And downhill  with approximately 4 amps much sooner.
I asked Tom (goldenmotor) and he wrote only: "The internal controller inside the motor,is too hot."
The internal controller was not programmable and therfore the
yellow wire was free. I experimented with internal fans and small heatsinks and small holes.
With these changes, I could drive  much further but these was not the solving of the problem.
That was the reason why I moved the controller outside, with a big heatsink.
Then I could drive on  the hottest days in summer without problems even on the mountains but the heatsink was very warm.
The motor itselfs, the sun heat the black motor und the internal controller produce heat  and that is too much.
  I could only  solve my  controller problem with an external controller.

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 04:47:10 PM »
or completely cover your bike in solar panels, harnessing that precious energy you can pump into your pie yum

hehe that would deflect the heat and give you heaps more range !

;)