Author Topic: Best maintenance/charging procedure for a 48v12ah battery  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Best maintenance/charging procedure for a 48v12ah battery
« on: September 28, 2010, 04:14:48 PM »
I ordered my MP kit today ;D

What would be the best maintenance/charging procedure for a 48v12ah battery?

for example:

Is it best to charge the battery after each use?

Should it be kept on charge when not in use?

Does the battery have to be disconnected from the bike and controller whilst charging?

and do I need to charge the battery when it gets delivered?

Cheers

Andrew :D

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Best maintenance/charging procedure for a 48v12ah battery
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 01:31:41 AM »

Andrew, I would recommend that you fully charge the battery after each use to ensure it is always ready to go.

It shouldn't do any harm leaving the battery on charge when not in use, but I don't know if the charger remains on a maintenance (float) charge or whether it will cut off completely after the battery is fully charged and balanced. If it cuts off and doesn't cut in again until you turn the charger off and on again, it might be beneficial to use a timer to turn the charger on for half an hour or so each day to ensure the pack remains completely topped up.

As I don't have a GM battery or charger, I am unable to test whether the charger will slowly drain the battery if it is left connected with the charger turned off. I'd like to think that it wouldn't drain the battery, but that doesn't mean it won't. So, if the charger is not going to be left turned on (or left on a timer) for a long period of time, I would disconnect it from the battery, just to play safe.
But don't forget to plug it back in and charge the battery at least once a month if you're not going to be using your bike during the winter.

The battery does not have to be physically disconnected from the bike or controller whilst charging, but you must ensure that the key switch is turned off completely. If your bike is kept in a damp garage or shed, it might be better to store (and charge) the battery indoors.

When the battery is delivered, it would be a good idea to put it on charge, and leave it on charge overnight before using it. This should ensure that it is 100% charged and all the cells nicely balanced and ready for use. ;)

Alan

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Re: Best maintenance/charging procedure for a 48v12ah battery
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 06:41:46 AM »
thanks again,,  as you can  see -  just some apprehensive questions before I get started.  :D