Author Topic: Which MP Kit Should I Buy?  (Read 6547 times)

Offline Aldby

• I have been an e-biker / pedelec rider since 2007
Which MP Kit Should I Buy?
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:55:04 PM »
OK, I'm considering buying a Magic Pie Kit direct from Goldenmotor as the supplier here in the UK is quite expensive :'(
I would probably go for a complete kit including Goldenmotor battery, but which battery, 48v 12 Ah or 36v 16Ah and how do they differ as far as performance and reliability is concerned?

Also, how good is the backup from China?

John

« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 06:54:19 AM by Aldby »

Offline Magzy

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Which MP Kit Should I Buy?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 05:21:32 AM »
Here's what I found out before buying my Pie last week.

Assuming you're a noob like me. First, a bit of background on electricity.

higher voltage = higher speed
higher amp output = quicker acceleration and hill climbing ability (torque)

Why?

Water is comparable electricity (bear with me)
Imagine a hose pipe is like the electric cable coming out of a battery and the flowing water is the electric flowing to your motor.

Voltage (V) is comparable to the *pressure* of a water supply which is supplying the hose. More pressure means more voltage
amperage (A) is the thickness of that hosepipe and constitutes the *amount* of electric flowing out. More thickness = more power.

now, imagine the water coming out of the hose is falling onto a water wheel and the water wheel is turning at a constant rate.
Now, imagine turning the tap full blast (increasing the voltage) and see how how this affects the water wheel -it goes faster.
Now change the hosepipe to a firemans hose which is thicker (bigger amperage) and you will quickly see that even if there was just a trickle of water coming out, the force of this water would be such that the wheel would move slow but trying to stop the wheel from turning with your bare hands will require some effort.

These same principles of voltage and amperage apply to the golden motor and more specifically, the battery you're going to use with it in the same way that water pressure and thickness of pipe affects the water wheel in our water analogy above.

Amperage output of a battery depends on two things.
1. your battery rating (measured in C)
for example. a 12AH battery rated at 1c just means that you will draw 1c*12AH which is 12 amps constant power.
A battery at 3c will output 36 AMPS (3c*12AH) constant power.

There's a risk of a LifePo4 battery failing under this constant heavy load if you go over it's rating - so it's best to stay within the 1 to 2c range if you want to extend the longevity of your battery above 1000 cycles. (this is a gray area because of the relatively newness of this technology i.e. no one has actual proof how long they will last in actual practicality - maybe more maybe less)
The GM batteries and the controller won't extract more than 2c so you're safe with this.

2. Your controller.
The MP internal Controller is set up to take just 16A of power and the external controller around 20A (no one seems sure of the actual output as it varies only very slightly from controller to controller) which is more than enough for commuting and trips to the shops.

So how does this voltage and amperage translate into how fact am I going to go?

What does this mean in terms of actual speed on the road?
Depends entirely on the battery you you get but as a guide:
(36V X 16AH / 250W ) X 32KPH = 73.728k range
or
(48V X 12AH / 768W ) x 45KPH = 33.75k Range (this is minimum because you won't be producing 768W while going on a flat - maybe only 300W ish - depending on wind, weight of rider but the more speed you do the bigger the wind resistence and this will drain your battery far quicker because you're neededing more amps to push your portly figure through more air)
I've yet to see this formula put into an exact science and have it applied to the GM but this is only a rough guide and is somewhat taken from the goldenmotor.ca website.

Magic Pie Pro's and cons:
    Pros
        - speed and watts is determined by battery size (other motors are fixed)

- can be run at 24,36, 48 volts (and new ones upto 96v)
            - 24v goes about 20 kph performs like a 250 watt motor
            - 36v goes about 35 kph performs like a 500 watt motor
            - 48v goes about 47 kph performs like a 1000 watt motor
    Cons
        - speed is not considered to be street legal above 24v in Canada - above 200W in Australia - and for you in the UK, Basic regulations state that the bicycle must be ridden by someone of at least 14 years of age. Electric bicycles in the UK must not contain a motor of power exceeding 250watts. The bicycle must also be restricted to 15 miles per hour (24 km/h)and a certain speed in the UK/europe. if you get stopped you potentially could get done for driving a motor vehicle without tax insurance, MOT and license but will most likely have your bike impounded. (yes this sucks) but is still a legal grey area because bikes will go over 15mph even without a motor. Even if you have a cutout at 15mph for your motor and then you start peddling, then it will be assumed thsat you're breaking the law which just says that the law is defunct and no prosecution could possibly arise from this unless they take your bike to be tested at the DVLA bike testing facility (which at the time of writing, does not exist) Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws#United_Kingdom and see this:http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/6210-help-police-impound-bike.html The best way to stay legal is to use a 24v battery in the UK but you will have grannies in wheelchairs overtaking you.
        - relatively new technology

So, defunct and useless laws that are designed to keep you dependent on oil aside, How powerful is this setup?

Power output is measured in Watts and is calculated by Voltage * amperage

So a 48v battery taking in 16Amps (internal MP controller) of continuous power will produce 769Watts of power. After losses (say 80%) in the motor etc output onto the tarmac is in efficiency of
will be 614 watts

a 20 amp controller will facilitate 960W at 48v and 768w onto the road after losses in the motor.

To put this into perspective, Lance Armstrong will pump out about 500w of power at his anaerobic maximum while doing the tour de France. (yes, it would be technically legal to tie a lance to your bike and do 40mph)

Don't for get that the wattage of the motor is really only the maximum that it's rated for - some people have changed their controllers and batteries and achieved over 3000w of output but the stains and stresses of doing this over the long term may damage the motor but from what I see on here, they are numero uno in china when it comes to robustness and over engineering it won't be covered by a warranty if you do this and screw it up.

GM have sold over 9000 of these motors and only a small proportion have died (going off the posts on here) and most of those are with people who've modded their setup.
Main areas of contention are the controllers that seem to blow if you connect mass amounts of amperage to it e.g. >100A but the default setup should last you years imo.

Getting in touch with GM can be a pain in the @rse (it seems) but it is 100x better than say buying of an ebay seller who at the first sign of trouble will just disappear. GM are the manufacturer and will strive to protect the reputation of the company i.e. you won't get ripped off and there will be some sort of guarantee if you don't modify the kit and use a GM battery.

one thing about GM is that there's a bunch of great people on this forum that'll help out any issues you have so you don't need to even get in touch with GM except for getting a replacement this or that.

Lastly, I'd check the cost of a pie in the UK against the true cost of a GM directly from China  - including the postage which will even out the price to be about the same.
So if you want service then a local distributor would be the best option because you're in the same timezone and speak the same lingo - and the same GM guarantees come with the product.

Hope this helps.

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 11:20:05 AM »
I'm really thirsty now....

:D

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 12:51:04 PM »
Your water analogy is not correct.

Inductive loads can see a 12v motor beat the pants off a 48v motor depending on the winding.  Or a 48v motor with 20 amps have more torque than a 36v motor with 25 amps.

Watts can give this indication as true in some configurations.

Torque is not just a constant it can be a product.

The same motor, battery chemistry, and controller one at 36v and the other 48v.

48v motor travel's at 43kph and delivers a unit of 45 torque.
36v motor travles at 34kph and delivers a unit of 45 torque.

How much torque is the 36v motor giving at 35 kph.  The 35v motor gives 0 units of torque at 35kph.  So in essence which motor really has more torque.

As you see the product of torque should be considered too.

Watts can either add up to torque or speed but in reality both.

MD                         MI
Magnetic density      Magnetic intensity.
    Field density           Field projection                    
       Power                     Energy
Newton meters            RPM per volt.
  Impedance                 Reactance

If there was no such thing as inertia and or resistance volts would give you endless speed and torque and if there was no such thing as resistance amps would give you endless speed and torque.

So Volts and Amps has no meaning to torque and speed its the external environmental effects that indict our vehicles behavior.

You can intensify the density and densify the intensity.

MD/radius = MI Speed
MI * radius = MD  Torque.         

And

Volts*inductance=torque
Amps/inductance= speed

If you get a former (trans-former) and wind 10 turns it will have more impedance and make field density and a shorter magnetic field, and if you get a former and wind 5 turns it has more reactance and make a larger less dense magnetic field.

Like the Magic Pie can be slower at 48v than the HBS at 48v but deliver more torque with higher volts than lower volts.

If you look at the MP design it has more slots (coils) on a larger diameter than other motors.  The volt amp have to divide over these coils more and the magnetic intensity is transferred over a larger radius adding to the torque.

If you look at the design of the HBS it has less coils on a smaller diameter, The volt amp have to divide over less coils intensifying the magnetic fields adding more speed.

The garden fire hose theory does fall over when you put inductive impedance theory in front of it.

We can not confuse battery ability with motor ability when considering volts and amps. We should assume our hose is just a hose or cable, and the amount of water comes from somewhere different.

The fire hose is a hydrant and has to be pressured by volume*restriction or the better word is volume focus intensification,  or even more so a pump and our hose is restricted by its diameter pipe to the garden tap.  Always the fire hose will be better.

If we get our garden tap and put a fat hose on it it wont make it work like a fire hose nor can we take a hydrant outlet and put a garden hose and expect the pressure to be the same on your water wheel.

Then we have ohms law play into the math. V/R=I

Fatter shorter coils vs longer thinner coils.

Shorter and fatter = less resistance

Longer and thinner = more resistance.

Say we have one short fat coil that has a resistance of 1 ohm.

48v/1= 48 amps

Then we have a longer thinner coil that has a resistance of 2 ohms

48/2= 24 amps.

Our motor, power cables, battery resistance and controller is in so many ways our water wheel and hose in one device and this water wheel theory discludes this fact.

Like different size and shape water wheels can not effect the way the water comes from the hose can it?

Where as different motors can make the electricity behave much differently.

Like you can have a battery that can supply millions of amps but the cables, controller and motor may only draw 20 amps...

Or you can have a battery that has 1000's of volts and runs a motor slower than a sloth on sleeping pills but have enough torque to pull 10 trucks.

Dont get me wrong here, of cause the MP will have more torque at higher amps and more speed at higher volts, but these parameter are set by its design and we can not change these without rewinding the motor.

What I am saying the MP has more torque per volt than the HBS or similar motor and providing you meet V/R=I and V=x/Radius requirements around the stator to achieve enough current and optimum magnetic intensity over its poles distances it will have more torque at higher volts.

Then we have former mass and copper fill and turn count.

A larger coil with more will turn any volts into torque

A smaller coil will less turn volts into speed.

Then we have coil thickness. Unrelated to winding turn count of former mass.

Thicker copper will cause lower resistance and wider current pathway and induct more current around the former creating more torque.

Thinner copper will induct less current not creating anything but higher resistances and narrow current pathways and loss of torque.

There is probably much more but Im starting to get lost in this loop of physical attributes that intertwine to cause and effect each other.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 01:10:13 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 02:23:05 PM »

I have the feeling you had a different reply in your reply form and thought. "ahhh" I think I will tell everyone my current state of hydration instead.

;D

Bring it on

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 08:30:32 PM »
There is probably much more but Im starting to get lost in this loop of physical attributes that intertwine to cause and effect each other.

So you think you’ve got lost in this, I got lost somewhere in the middle. ???

Great post though, both of you and Magz. Even if you have a few remarks in his post, I must say he did it very pedagogical.

I have the feeling you had a different reply in your reply form and thought. "ahhh" I think I will tell everyone my current state of hydration instead.
This is very funny. ;D

Peter
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 09:42:04 AM »

;D

Haha you guessed too right mate - well it was late and plus the fact that my mechanical motor knowledge and general electric motor attributes are quite limited. Electrically and electronically yeah no probs. I guess long story short you busted me lol

But I did totally love the water analogy I thought that was a great explanation. Hmm I should have really posted that instead ;) haha

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 12:07:24 PM »
My electronic teacher 25 year ago used to use plumbing to explain stuff all the time.  This guy was Army corp heat seeking missile engineer dude from hell.

I hated how fast he could trace a circuit and find the bugs in our designs.  Plumbing is quite complicated if done properly.  But water you can see, electronics,  Damned electrons and holes, then consider all the stuff they make it out of.  One thing is electron theory, science is my gear. Another is product and materials engineering innovation knowledge, I have 25 years to catch up here.  I put EE down to do music.  I wish I didnt now.

Monkey! your next video, can I supply you the original tunes. :D

Bring it on

Offline Thaialien

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 05:20:15 AM »
Better to buy one that you go into a shop/dealer  and TEST!   ;D ;D ;D

Because you see someone face to face !  ;D ;D ;D

Also if you ORDER on the net ..... and the Company Screws Up !! you will be  >:( >:( >:(

So do not say" I did not tell YOU !!"

Allways take the one you have CHECKED AND ARE HAPPY WITH !!!

REMEMBER THERE ARE PLENTY OF  "DELL BOYS OUT THERE"     (only fools and horses < youtube>)   

Try to put a smile on the face of others it cost nothing ...by what you say !

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 12:31:10 PM »
Monkey! your next video, can I supply you the original tunes. :D

Okay it's good weather now but as much as I'm tempted to, I'm not riding the bike until I get torque arms for the front forks, this time I'm going to buy a big thick pair instead because I want it to look spiffy ;)

Plus still needing to goto the scooter shop and get a bigger suspension spring that will bring my mid frame higher because of the new, even further drop in front with the 20" cast, and it will bring the wheels closer together being both 20" now its going to handle like crazy

Struck a problem too, after I thought I had gone through the massive pain of hooking this thing up (definitely will not detail this... let's just say it was very messy lol) anywho my remote start circuit has something wrong with it, and was cutting out my mini 12v lithium battery that has a auto cutout BMS haha which is really handy. So I might go the switch way after all... I'll put it under the seat and want this done by next week I am having pie withdrawals haha