Author Topic: Some random questions + a video  (Read 5298 times)

Offline Milhouse

• Confirmed
Some random questions + a video
« on: August 21, 2010, 07:25:19 PM »
Here is a video of my Magic Pie kit on my Felt Q600 bicykle.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD3ExZOf0SQ

After over six hours of clumsy assembly (bad manual where none of the screws, parts and corresponding selected) I finally got everything to work.

But now I'm sitting on some issues. First of all, I plan to do all water proof. I thought using the "plasti dip" which is a liquid form of rubber that dries and isolate all of the circuit board, battery poles and the like, and makes it waterproof. I thought to use plasti dip on all the wires, battery, and links. But on the engine itself. Resistant to the water? Now I think of the wheel and the engine of the wheel.

This has irritated me!  >:(

When I got the wheel with the engine was broken three spokes, so that the loose screws that hold the spokes attached to the wheel frame was loose inside the wheel frame (between the hoses and the wheel). So when I bike so it sounds like some loose marbles inside the wheel. Now I have three loose spokes that I have to get attached. But how?

I now have a top speed of 25 km / h. Unfortunately I have 24V battery, I'll buy the 48V battery on payroll for three weeks. How much "speed" I think when you? I can drive about 25 miles on one battery charge, it was also much smaller than I expected.

In addition, the engine was much heavy than I had imagined. The bike is extremely baktung. Do you have experience with the punctures and the like when the bike is so heavy behind? I am terrified to puncture.

In spite of much irritation and a number of problems to be solved, it is fun to drive electric bike. :) I hope I get the hang of it eventually. Hehe.

Kristoffer, Norway =)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Some random questions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 09:28:32 PM »
Now I have three loose spokes that I have to get attached. But how?

Kristoffer, check out this post for more information regarding the refitting of the spoke nipples.

I now have a top speed of 25 km / h. Unfortunately I have 24V battery, I'll buy the 48V battery on payroll for three weeks. How much "speed" I think when you?

On a level road, my 26" Pie will do approximately 15mph (24km/h) on 29 Volts (7s2p 10Ah LiPo) and 25mph (40km/h)  on 58 Volts (14s1p 5Ah LiPo pack).

Do you have experience with the punctures and the like when the bike is so heavy behind? I am terrified to puncture.

If you're really worried about punctures, you might want to consider using solid tyres instead.

Anyway, it's good to hear that you've got you bike working now.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:58:37 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Milhouse

• Confirmed
Re: Some random questions + a video
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 11:48:02 AM »
Hi Alan.

Regarding the spokes was a very loose when I received the package, also released another during the first test ride I had. I've tried turning the other a little better place (without removing the tire). I do not think I'll try to attach the spokes on the bottom of the wheel since it requires so much "fiddling" ('m afraid I ruin everything). But maybe I'll try to attach a little super glue around the mounting screws until the spokes, so they do not fall under the wheel frame.

Thanks for the Amazon link to the puncture-free tire. But this will not be very bumpy and red when the bikes? I will not turn green, blue and pink on my cute little ass balls.  ;D

So I wonder if anyone bothered to find a charge of higher quality than the one I got with the kit. The charger I have now is HOT. I know there are others who have a small fan in it and that is a little more advanced. Does not matter if I pay around 100 dollars for it.  ::)

Nice to have something to puzzle with, so long as it works. Hehe. :)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Refitting the nipples
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 01:27:01 PM »
I do not think I'll try to attach the spokes on the bottom of the wheel since it requires so much "fiddling" ('m afraid I ruin everything).

If you want your wheel to be good and strong, you must refit the nipples which have come off!

If you're really not bothered about the possibility of the wheel collapsing suddenly while you are riding the bike, you should at least wear protective clothing (helmet, gloves, knee pads, elbow pads and a gum guard etc.) on every ride, so you are prepared for the inevitable failure of the wheel when you hit a big bump (or pothole) at high speed.

I don't suppose you would be quite so keen to jump in a car and drive off down the road, knowing that one of your wheels was likely to fall off at any time. All because you couldn't be bothered to refit the several wheel nuts rattling around inside the hubcaps, because it would require so much "fiddling".

If you're really "afraid of ruining everything", then refit those nipples before the wheel is ruined.
Refitting a few nipples will be much easier (and cheaper) than completely rebuilding a collapsed wheel!

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:56:36 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Milhouse

• Confirmed
Re: Some random questions + a video
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 02:09:36 PM »
Hehe. You are good at scaring people. I was thinking to buy a puncture-free tires to the wheel and when I have to take any of hose and tires, so I can watch it then. Now only two of the spokes loose. I buy the maximum 25 km / h now, and it will take approximately three weeks before I order the hose + new battery here at Golden Motor (so it takes about 3 weeks before I get the new battery + cover.) Do you think it makes so much I bike carefully with two loose spokes in a couple months before I fix it? I have to buy any new mounting screws to the spokes when I get a salary, since one of those were already gone when I got the package home last week.

Do you know where I can buy new mounting screws for the spokes?  ???

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Spoke nipples
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 12:58:46 AM »
Do you know where I can buy new mounting screws for the spokes?  ???

Kristoffer, as it was missing when you received the wheel you should notify GM, and hopefully they can send you a replacement spoke nipple.

Alternatively, it might be much quicker to simply buy one from your local dealer (assuming they have them in stock):

Golden Motor Norge
Folkvordveien 84
4318 Sandnes
NORWAY
Tel: +47 40408650
Email:lars.ove.lofthus@lyse.net

I wouldn't want to continue using it for two months without all the spokes being fitted correctly, just in case.

Alan