Author Topic: LIGHTING KIT  (Read 16022 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: LIGHTING KIT
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 10:32:16 PM »
All these dual pie pictures make me want to throw mine in!

Gary

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Long pedal cranks
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 12:56:48 AM »
At worst it would fling the pedal back anyway.

I disagree, at worst it could fling you right off the bike!

I actually saw this happen once, I was following a guy on a motorbike who had been stopped in a lay-by just before he pulled out in front of me.
We approached an "S" bend and he negotiated the right bend without problem, but as he entered the left bend and started to lean into it, his side-stand (which he'd forgotten to lift up) hit the ground and threw him off completely.
Fortunately he was not badly injured, and only suffered a few scrapes and bruises. It could have been a lot worse if there had been oncoming traffic where he landed.
Most motorbikes nowadays have a switch on the stand, which cuts the motor if the clutch is released while in gear with the side-stand down.

Hey Alan where do you have batteries on your beast? Do you have some in the forks? That would be awesome.

Unfortunately it's pedal power only at the moment, those pies are just photoshopped. :(

The forks are not large enough to get any decent sized cells into as they are only 1" external diameter stainless steel tube.
I thought about a purpose made backrest with some LiPos built in, but the weight would be too far back.
I also thought about a dummy petrol tank to hide the batteries inside, but it might be much easier to mount it on the forks in a cylindrical leather tool bag:

or a tubular pack mounted down the front of the frame similar to this but on the underside of the downtube:

One day, I will eventually get it sorted. ::)

Alan

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2010, 12:12:07 PM »
Oh sneaky haha

So what ride are you on at the moment? You must be hanging to get your cruiser on the road
I like the leather pouch idea, and you have some room underneath the bikes before the fork clearance

Will be good to see it on the road :)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Current bike
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 01:23:09 PM »
So what ride are you on at the moment?

I'm currently riding this old Saracen with nice fat tyres to help compensate for the lack of suspension:

I've used the old 26" front wheel that came off the other bike when I lengthened the forks as it has a deep "V" rim which I painted black to match the GM rim on the rear.
I run it mainly on a 25.9V 10Ah Turnigy LiPo pack (7S2P) slung in the right hand pannier, which gives me a top speed of around 15mph, which is ideal for dog walking. (and legal too!) ;)
I occasionally use it on 51.8V 5Ah (14S), but at 25mph Heidi struggles to keep up. ;D

Alan
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:27:27 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Thaialien

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Wheel speed
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 01:47:03 PM »

For your information, the actual speed of the wheel is controlled by the throttle, as you twist the throttle the wheel will begin to spin faster: ANS can you get a tacho and a voltmeter /amp next to it too truely represent Magic Pie !  PS do Magic Pies have ventilation system in them ?

Slight throttle      Increased throttle

If you find this concept too difficult to understand, don't worry, because you should get the hang of it with a little bit of practice.

Perhaps there should be a mention of this in the user guide to save any further confusion.

Alan

But good to see some of you are awake !!!  how many post in 24 hours ?

if only GM worked as hard as you lot !!    :o :o :o
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:03:07 PM by Bikemad »
Try to put a smile on the face of others it cost nothing ...by what you say !

Offline Thaialien

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010, 02:16:41 PM »
Hey you Guy's running dual motors how about one of you doing a test !!!

drive one motor and see what regen is on the other say at 300Rpm  (i know this is wastefull of power but gives a good idea of what power % can be reclaimed ?
< I wonder what the dual motor on full regen braking is like without using disk brakes or other braking device >
 was thinking of putting sounder on the brake so to help training of regen braking distance !!!  for max regen !  and other brakes for when you automatically need it!!

Good to see Good Idea's and Nice Bikes !!   :) :) :)

And I can't wait for one of you to make a Magic Pie Yikebike   :) :) :)
Try to put a smile on the face of others it cost nothing ...by what you say !