Author Topic: Out of round pie  (Read 4603 times)

Offline windego

• Confirmed
Out of round pie
« on: July 13, 2010, 08:17:29 PM »
Hi
I have about 100km on my 26" mp and the rim has almost 2mm or so high spot right at the weld of the rim. When it was out of the box it was also out whack on axis but that has cleaned up after riding a bit it seems. The rest of the circumference is really good, just bad at the weld point.
When riding there is a definite feeling of egg under me even with 2.35 big apples
Do you think I can pull in that much without stripping the spoke nuts?

Cheers
Stan

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Out of round pie
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 01:58:59 AM »
Hi
I have about 100km on my 26" mp and the rim has almost 2mm or so high spot right at the weld of the rim. When it was out of the box it was also out whack on axis but that has cleaned up after riding a bit it seems. The rest of the circumference is really good, just bad at the weld point.
When riding there is a definite feeling of egg under me even with 2.35 big apples
Do you think I can pull in that much without stripping the spoke nuts?

Cheers
Stan

It would be best to reset the rim from sratch and not try to pull, push anything.  See if the rim returns closer to more a round shape when all the spokes are released.  

Oil the nipples, losen all spokes and start from step one IMO.

Bring it on

Offline windego

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 12:25:07 PM »
I doubt that will work since it seems like a very distinct change in roundness right at the weld. The rest of the wheel is good. But you may be right. However I hesitate to loosen everything........
Stan

Offline windego

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 01:57:26 PM »
Have any other pie owners noticed this problem at the weld?

Offline windego

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 11:53:06 AM »
All pies perfectly round? I did manage to remove a lot of the egg by spoke adjustment. I need to ride it and see if I can still feel it but it is still at leat 1mm out.
Stan

Offline Magneto81

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 06:02:36 PM »
Mine seems round enough, but I can tell you it's not balanced very well... I was holding it up running it and it was bobbing like crazy up and down... Is THAT normal?? I don't think it will be as noticable when riding, but it will probably still make for a weird ride...

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 09:47:32 PM »
This is because of the extra weight, you need to align the wheel more often and avoid as hell bad asphalt :D

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 04:22:30 AM »
Oil your spokes up and maybe try this.

You may not need to tighten the spokes too much but loosen the ones where the flat edge is and see if it straightens.  You may have to lossen more than three I put in the picture too. I ding the spokes or flick them like guitar strings to find any rouge over tight or loose spokes.  .  Take it for a slow easy ride and see if the bumps can help sort stuff out.  

« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 04:27:11 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on