Author Topic: emoped  (Read 5148 times)

Offline madmax8888

emoped
« on: July 03, 2010, 09:24:15 PM »
hi I just got a ecostar from daymak  we there selling some that I liked the look of but need more power can I get this pie to work on my ride? 1000 watts is what I need no 500 watts I am a big man lol please help

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: emoped
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 11:03:48 PM »
hi I just got a ecostar from daymak  we there selling some that I liked the look of but need more power can I get this pie to work on my ride? 1000 watts is what I need no 500 watts I am a big man lol please help
There might be other ways to get more power out of your bike other than replacing the whole hub motor. I think it would be a big job to do that. For one thing the MP (Magic Pie) has an internal controller, whereas yours may have an external controller, therefore you may have to replace the throttle etc, or at least all the connectors as well.

We need more information on your bike to make an assessment on what options you can take. You may be able to modify the existing controller to give more power, or replace the controller with a more powerfull one or upgrade the batteries.

Muzza.au

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: eBike Legalities
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 03:21:21 PM »
We need more information on your bike to make an assessment on what options you can take.

Click the above image for more details, although there's not really enough technical info given.

You must bear in mind that increasing the power will probably increase the top speed as well, so be aware of the legal implications.

Quote from: www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/emerging/e-bike-faq.shtml
Am I allowed to modify my e-bike so it can go faster than 32 km/h?
No. Modifying your e-bike for the purposes of increasing its speed beyond 32 km/h will no longer qualify it as an e-bike.  Motor-assisted bicycle (moped) and/or limited-speed motorcycle (LSM) requirements such as licensing, registration and insurance may then apply.

I'd also be weary of the fines imposed on ebikes in Ontario, they look a bit scary to me:
Improper brakes $110.00
Fail to wear proper helmet $85.00
Red light - fail to stop $180
Fail to yield to pedestrian $110.00
No bell or defective bell $110.00
ride 2 on a bicycle $110.00

I make that a total of $790 in fines, if 2 people on a tandem (with improper brakes, a defective bell and no helmets) fail to stop at a red light and collide with a pedestrian. ::)

Looks like eBikes might not be such a cheap means of alternative transport after all. ;D

Alan

TRK

Re: eBike Legalities
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 09:09:50 PM »
I make that a total of $790 in fines, if 2 people on a tandem (with improper brakes, a defective bell and no helmets) fail to stop at a red light and collide with a pedestrian. ::)

That's about 20 bucks in real money... ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 09:12:22 PM by ceZar »