Author Topic: Much More Powerful Pie Now!!!  (Read 239967 times)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Much More Powerful Pie Now!!!
« Reply #315 on: August 29, 2010, 12:26:36 PM »
Hi Leslie,

Hey that was very well explained, thanks.  ;)

I never thought of it like that. Going 1 hr @ 72 volts @62KPH

I might get a 24 volt 20 amp ping next year. I spent too much now anyway and we're heading for winter!

I'm not sure I like the idea of more battery weight either. I can't wait for silicon nanowire batteries! up to 10 times the capacity for the same size!  ;D  I hope they become a reality, I think they allow for extremely fast charging also. Oh the thoughts. Imagine my ping 10 times smaller, or 10 times greater capacity for the same size!  ;D

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #316 on: August 29, 2010, 12:55:47 PM »
Yea a few holes in thatlast post  could be patched otherwise it gave  the point well enough.

Some thing refreshing.

I did up my switcher.  I am pretty fired up atm mom full of coffee   :o :o :o :o.  Hand shaking and still managed to do this up with no circuit board.  I could find the PCB I made up for a week ago.

Ahhh some hot glue and she be just fine.

Its sits a 3.19v and I ran 2.2 amps of super bright leds before I mounted it in the box on a 12v supply..

Now Im goinb to test it at 50v and leave it for 20 mins to see how the thermal situation is at high volts.

Thats 50v to 3.2v @ 2.2 amps and Im hoping for around 80% efficiency.  Im hoping to draw around 50v 150ma and crunch it down to 3.2v and boost the current to 2.2 amps.

I will post some pics tonight of the lights running off them.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 01:26:33 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #317 on: August 29, 2010, 01:14:37 PM »
OMG blind spots in parts of my eyes.  Im half blind as it is...

12v all good.

24v noice.

Up to 36v. mwahahaha

At all three voltages the LM2576 stays rock solid at 3.19 on load and no load.  This is the the most stable Ive seen withn my LM2576 jobs.

I want to put a small resistor on the input before I do 50~60v even though the LM2576 is rated to 60 63v, I want this baby to last me years.

Man I need to sink the Leds.  The inductor and LM2576 switcher not even warm.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 01:19:50 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #318 on: August 29, 2010, 01:36:25 PM »
Cool leslie

ye can't beat those led's. They are so bright. Everyone comments on mine, I'm happy enough that even in day time when it's cloudy, that I can be clearly seen on the road. Rear light and a high vis vest! There is nothing worse when you are driving along and you can barely see cyclists because they can't bother to light up! What I think is quiet dangerous also is if you driving along in sunshine and a cyclist is in the shade of trees or something in the distance, they can hardly be seen! I always ride with my vest.

I have seen HID kits for bikes too. They might give you better visibility further down the road, but I think they use more power!

I want to get a box like yours in black for my battery, I would put red led's on the back of it. And maybe a key switch and relay! I would like something that's easy open and lock! Something like that is hard to find.

It would be cool if Ping could make his batteries fit in some kind of case like GM batteries. And having the option of a slide on rack too would be cool! 

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #319 on: August 29, 2010, 03:18:42 PM »
Oh man These led are rated at 3.2v nominal to 3.8 max.

Im going to have to go up to the 3.8v mark if I want 9 watts.  I think Id rather use 6 watts for noraml use and 9 watts for high beam.  Or add more Leds and lessen the amount of max watt per led.

I got the plastic reflectors. so Im thinking I don't want to get too hot.

So!  

I added a variable 100ohm pot in the feedback circuit of the regulator and pushed it up to 3.34 v and the difference is substantial.  Im looking for sunnnies at night to work on these now.

I put a by pass to the pot so I can add a high low beam switch in there at the regulator controll.  High efficient high beam controll.  No clicking relays and stuff for this one.  Just a little .0125 watt pot to controll so much brightness with the smallest of switches.  
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 03:21:39 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #320 on: August 29, 2010, 03:44:46 PM »
Led's are getting better all the time, it's a pity they are so expensive.

I would love to see them replace the horribly depressing yellow orange street lights, But of course they will not do so because they cost more to buy compared to 5 Euros for a sodium lamp! And I can not see that change for years!

LOL the things I think about!

I think cars in a year or so will start offering them for dipped and full beams, replacing regular halogen, but at an extortionate price you can be sure!

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #321 on: August 29, 2010, 04:18:07 PM »
Led's are getting better all the time, it's a pity they are so expensive.

I would love to see them replace the horribly depressing yellow orange street lights, But of course they will not do so because they cost more to buy compared to 5 Euros for a sodium lamp! And I can not see that change for years!

LOL the things I think about!

I think cars in a year or so will start offering them for dipped and full beams, replacing regular halogen, but at an extortionate price you can be sure!

Ohhh yeah even my 3 watt white leds light up the street signs for 100s of meter past the motorists high beams.

I make it a point when I ride out to the rural roads and when a car drives past me I wave my hand over my humble 3 watt setup and make all the road signs flicker.  Their high beams do not have the the right temperature to do this as well.

I once mixed some warm white and clear white led bulbs onto my bike it was better again.  Maybe this is what I do.  Get 3 more leds (warm white) onto my light and get more colours back off what they shine at.   It deepens the view with a lower temperature colours added,
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 04:21:07 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #322 on: August 30, 2010, 11:42:33 AM »
WOOOOOT.

Two Ping packs await me at the depot.

One 15 ah and another 20 ah.

I get them my project can go ahead just a little bit further.

Im going to sit them on the charger for a week before I even put a hub to them. 

Depending on the Pie delivery it may be sitting on the charger for a few weeks to come.

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #323 on: August 30, 2010, 12:11:32 PM »
Nice One!  ;D

Do you think you need it on  the charger for that long Leslie?

I never have had a problem with balancing and all the lights come on at the same time, so far anyway!

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #324 on: August 30, 2010, 03:39:18 PM »
Hi Peter,

Did you get all your kit yet? is it all together?

Mark
Yes

Peter show us your new ride.  Maybe link us to some pictures.  I think those froggies are new on the shelf...  They should give you plenty of love.

Leslie.

I wonder which is worst, the cost or the wait. I’d assumed that the spokes wouldn’t fit on my new rim and I was right. What I didn’t expect was the difficulty to find spokes with the right length. The hub is drilled for 13g spokes but the rim can’t handle these nipples so I had to find 13g/14g butted spokes with 97 mm length (I really hope I have measured them correctly). The shortest I found was 100 mm and they weren’t close to the EU. One US supplier didn’t have a length limit at all so I ordered from them (hope they can do it). The spokes weren’t so expensive but unfortunately the shipping cost doubled the price so there goes another $50.

Peter

The spokes have finally arrived, oh how I’ve longing for those. I run to my garage to start building the wheel full of anticipating. But when I opened the package there were 197 mm long spokes instead of 97 mm. They cost me €50 and the shipping was the half of that. I would be surprised if they are willing to pay for the shipping back to US and then again for the right ones to Sweden. Now it’s for sure that she won’t be on the road before the cold and rainy autumn, maybe even before the snowy winter. :'(

I’ve start wondering about if there’s some alternative to spokes. Have some ideas on wood.
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #325 on: August 30, 2010, 07:34:16 PM »
Hi Peter,

That's bad news Peter. I know how you feel!  :'(  Hopefully you will think of something!

Wooden spokes is something I don't think I've seen before!

I got a nice bill from Fedex for €33.00 today.  :'(

I'm not quiet sure, but I think ebikes.ca sent an invoice to fedex, with a list of the exact goods I received. WTF? 

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #326 on: August 30, 2010, 09:13:01 PM »
Check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6e0Xu1bTbU

2 pings in this would be really cool, and  still have lots of space!  ;D

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #327 on: August 30, 2010, 09:47:19 PM »
Hi Peter,

That's bad news Peter. I know how you feel!  :'(  Hopefully you will think of something!

I'm not quiet sure, but I think ebikes.ca sent an invoice to fedex, with a list of the exact goods I received. WTF? 

Hi Mark!

I got a request from ebikes.ca for an additional $40 on my order for shipping with Fedex. The shipping alternatives on their site doesn’t update when a choice is made and therefore no shipping alternative is sent to PayPal. After I’ve paid that $40 there’s silence, I would appreciate an order confirmation like the one from goldenmotor.ca.

Have you already paid for everything?

Peter
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #328 on: August 30, 2010, 10:08:38 PM »
Hi Peter,

Hi Mark!

I got a request from ebikes.ca for an additional $40 on my order for shipping with Fedex. The shipping alternatives on their site doesn’t update when a choice is made and therefore no shipping alternative is sent to PayPal. After I’ve paid that $40 there’s silence, I would appreciate an order confirmation like the one from goldenmotor.ca.

Have you already paid for everything?

Peter

Hi Peter,

Ya confirmation e-mail would be nice. I must have a better look at the bill from fedex, and also go back through my order. I just didn't have a minute to do anything today!

I didn't get a request from ebikes.ca asking for additional money. So I'm thinking it's just customs. I'll check tomorrow.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #329 on: August 30, 2010, 10:13:24 PM »
Nice One!  ;D

Do you think you need it on  the charger for that long Leslie?

Now that question is very deep and complex, I will try to answer it in much depth..

No! :D

The spokes have finally arrived, oh how I’ve longing for those. I run to my garage to start building the wheel full of anticipating. But when I opened the package there were 197 mm long spokes instead of 97 mm. They cost me €50 and the shipping was the half of that. I would be surprised if they are willing to pay for the shipping back to US and then again for the right ones to Sweden. Now it’s for sure that she won’t be on the road before the cold and rainy autumn, maybe even before the snowy winter. :'(

I’ve start wondering about if there’s some alternative to spokes. Have some ideas on wood.

Humbug!

I got em.

:D

Here they have 3 3/4" :D

http://www.pitmotoparts.com/product_p/pmwh3.75.htm  Nice gauge too.  Not sure how it will go but you get these onto you rim and you will never have another problem.
]
Ohh and this item qualifies for free shipping.

I think these extended holidays the GM chieftons seem to be impacting on the companies performance.

What just happened to you peter is not even warranty, so you need to go back to GM sales and get GM to replace the wrong spokes they sent.  Prolly get no response as the Indian who served you may be too scared to admit the mistake.  PR nightmare on GM street me thinks.

But is it worth the bother!  I think so.  Is it worth your time I think not.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:23:43 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on