Author Topic: Much More Powerful Pie Now!!!  (Read 239931 times)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Much More Powerful Pie Now!!!
« Reply #285 on: August 23, 2010, 11:05:53 AM »
the CA seems to have some good piratical functions. 

Mark what were the CA limitations on the magic controller external/internal?.

And what wires are missing and what is their functions?

Hi Leslie,

The CA I had with the magic controller was the stand alone version and I simply used it as an odometer, speedometer and battery meter. You can re- wire it for current limiting, speed etc but I found it a bit complicated! However on ebikes.ca they have lots of information on the cycle analyst.

Basically the direct plug in CA has a connection that plugs into the controller that ebikes.ca modify. That connection doesn't exist on the stand alone version. I have no idea if you can rewire the magic controller for that function. You must know the exact controller shunt value or it will not read the current properly!

This guy on ebikes.sf has this mod for the stand alone CA. But you still have to rewire your controller. Check out his site he has a cheap BMC V3 that someone can test for me! lol  ;) Unfortunatly I don't think he will ship full wheel builds outside of the U.S.

http://ebikessf.com/limiter-mod-for-SACA

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #286 on: August 23, 2010, 04:38:34 PM »
Yes I figured out what I need to do with the SA.

Apparently all types are schematically identical, its just what wires are connected to them.  I can solder a plug onto my SA and make it work with CA enabled controllers.

Bring it on

Offline Spacey

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #287 on: August 23, 2010, 05:31:18 PM »

Spacey, did you buy the Magic Pie with internal or external controller?

[/quote]

Yeah I got the external controller, still running strong. Pulled a peak of 90amps on take off today lol. Getting just under 0.5 amp per mile.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #288 on: August 23, 2010, 05:53:07 PM »
So with the new Infineon controllers do you lose the 25mph speed limit that is set in the Magic Pie controllers? I can only get about 25mph maximum with the 48V 12ah Headway cells, the amps when above 15mph never really go above 15 amps even with the bridging mod so I'm pretty sure it's linked to the rpm of the wheel.

A possible reduction of amps vs rpm built into the Magic Pie external controller? Would love to cruise at 30mph which the motor and my batteries are more than capable of.

Have just completed 50 miles of hilly terrain with the mod so far, no overheating.

Hi Spacey.

Seems you have the street legal version.  You should get more than 25kph with 15 amps.  You should get your speed back up with the new controller if there is nothing wrong with the motor.

You wont get 30mph at 48v from the MP as the beast is designed for more torque.  Not escaping the MP's ability for higher speeds, I think the MP at higher volts the torque is going to be better and the Pie will start coming a head of the pack.

Edit:
Ohhh and I do believe the 15 amp magic controllers maybe set up for the minimotor.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 06:14:05 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #289 on: August 23, 2010, 06:20:55 PM »
So with the new Infineon controllers do you lose the 25mph speed limit that is set in the Magic Pie controllers? I can only get about 25mph maximum with the 48V 12ah Headway cells, the amps when above 15mph never really go above 15 amps even with the bridging mod so I'm pretty sure it's linked to the rpm of the wheel.

A possible reduction of amps vs rpm built into the Magic Pie external controller? Would love to cruise at 30mph which the motor and my batteries are more than capable of.

Have just completed 50 miles of hilly terrain with the mod so far, no overheating.

Hi Spacey.

Seems you have the street legal version.  You should get more than 25kph with 15 amps.  You should get your speed back up with the new controller if there is nothing wrong with the motor.

You wont get 30mph at 48v from the MP as the beast is designed for more torque.  Not escaping the MP's ability for higher speeds, I think the MP at higher volts the torque is going to be better and the Pie will start coming a head of the pack.

Hi Leslie

I think Spacey did mean 25 mph, and that's the max I get too. I think from the endless sphere forum, the guys said it was very inefficient @ higher voltages, that 48 volts was it's most efficient voltage!

Spacey,

You need to turn that controller down or It will destroy the fet's, they are rated for a max of 120 amps. You would be best to remove your mod until you get a better controller! trust me I know  ::)

Isn't the acceleration addictive though? It really put a smile on my face with my modded controller.  ;D  It still does, though the power is much more controlled now. Not quite as severe acceleration because the controller doesn't deliver the very high peaks the moddedone did.

I am sure the new controller would take 60 amps continuous as it has good irfb 4110 fet's and 12 of them at that! It's good for 84 volts which should make the pie go around 35-40 mph?

I can't wait for Leslie's review of the motors as he and his missus pulls very large loads and as a result will probably pull more amps continuously than a pie not pulling loads! Especially if he has hills!

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #290 on: August 23, 2010, 06:42:11 PM »
I live by the foot of a mountain with a ski slope and a serpentine road up to the top. This will be a great test when my bike is on the road. The time for the test ride has again moved forward though as I have decided to order a new controller and a CA-DP instead of the original controller and the CA-SA. Look here: http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=2418.0

Peter
Citizen of the Kingdom of Sweden.
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #291 on: August 24, 2010, 02:33:18 PM »
Here she is, the almost finished bike!

Now I have to get a smaller box for the ping as this one is twice the size of the ping, and sits too far back on the rack!

I wish I could have afforded a good suspension bike, It's a pity more and more bikes are being made from aluminium, the drop outs on this bike were not very strong at all !

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #292 on: August 24, 2010, 03:12:18 PM »
Lovely girl but where is her rear brake?
The size of the box is not a problem for the appearance but, as you wrote, it’s a little too far back. On the other hand I like women with great asses. ;D

I have bought and mounted a brake disc but still hesitate whether or not to order a caliper as I can see some problem to fit it on the frame.

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #293 on: August 24, 2010, 03:22:03 PM »
Lovely girl but where is her rear brake?
The size of the box is not a problem for the appearance but, as you wrote, it’s a little too far back. On the other hand I like women with great asses. ;D

I have bought and mounted a brake disc but still hesitate whether or not to order a caliper as I can see some problem to fit it on the frame.

I removed the rear brake as Pat, who made me the torque arms, put one on the inside because of the rear drop outs, It's the only way he could put 2 in. I was afraid with such torque that I needed 2. Anyway, as a result the wheel is off centre and the calliper won't fit any more! Maybe in the future I will go to the pain of installing an extra washer or 2 to centre it back up. However I really don't need it as the regen along with the front brake is more than enough braking power!

I would like a smaller box for the battery. I might get some kind of sealed abs box and install the battery in it, along with some polystyrene or maybe expanding foam to keep it from bouncing around! 

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #294 on: August 24, 2010, 05:02:56 PM »
I don't know, I like the box small and the ass not too wide. You might get some better slip stream with a tighter fit. But I love her.  Can I ride her too.  We can take turns.  :o

Just following Peters joke.  ::) hehe

If your frame is steel.

Leave your girl upside down in the sun for the morning when she gets hot to touch, spread em with your rod and nuts. When she cools down in the afternoon, remove your rod and nuts and see if you get much more clearances to fit your arm in, and a washer on the closer side to make your motor inside the centre..

Oh is the joke over yet?  ???

If your frame is alloy then I wasted my post.  The frame can break easily with this work if its alluminium.

Why cant you get both torque arms on the outside?  Is some thing obstructing it, like the derailer?  Can you please show us this issue. ??? ???

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:11:16 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #295 on: August 24, 2010, 07:03:31 PM »
LMAO Leslie you naughty devil!!!

Oh I nearly peed on me laptop in laughter!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

I must say I do like a nice tight box myself!  ;D I don't think expanding foam would be good for the box though!  ::)

She's aluminium alright, it seems most of em are that now! She is a bit of a bike, loves a good ride!  :D

Oh I better stop now, It's nice to get a good laugh!

I will take pics of her rear end tomorrow.  ::)   oh lol I just can't stop now!  ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #296 on: August 25, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
LOL

No harm in a little fun.  ;D

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #297 on: August 26, 2010, 06:51:36 PM »
I went out for a good spin today and torture tested the new controller in the woods. It only got luke warm. Happy days  ;D

The motor got hot, but not too hot. I could leave my hand on it no problem! Happy days ;D

After my trek in the woods I decided to go for a long spin. It was a nice day so off I went. 20 amps used from my ping and still going. I noticed the battery voltage drop to around 46 volts, so I know I had little left. I would say for sure 20-21 amps no problem!
Happy days  ;D

I don't quiet have the torque as with the modded magic controller, But hills like I have in the woods are not something most people will ever have on their daily rides. A little extra peddling brings me up to speed again very quickly, so It's not even a complaint!

My goal is to go to mount leinster. It's only 795 meters or something (2,605 feet) so I guess as mountains go, it's not so high. The last 2 or 3 miles are really really steep. I just have to find a suitable bike carrier to get me to the base of the mountain as I won't have  enough abttery to get me there! Does anyone know if a normal carrier hooked to a saloon car boot will hold the weight of my bike without battery?

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #298 on: August 26, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
There shouldn’t be any problem with the weight. But on the other hand there are quality issues even among some bike carrier, so it depends on what type it is. On my previous bike carrier I’d welded a diagonal rod and made an extension so I could load long battens on the roof on the car. I once had so much load that there was almost no suspension left, so I think they can handle a lot of weight.

I envious you, my spokes haven’t arrived yet and I can’t order the controller and the CA as I’ve hit a limit in PayPal and have to verify my card. But these things can only be a matter of days now.

Peter

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: bike carriers
« Reply #299 on: August 26, 2010, 10:18:34 PM »
Does anyone know if a normal carrier hooked to a saloon car boot will hold the weight of my bike without battery?

Most carriers are designed to take two or more bikes, so they should be able to cope with yours on its own without any problem whatsoever.

Alan