Author Topic: Much More Powerful Pie Now!!!  (Read 240003 times)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Much More Powerful Pie Now!!!
« Reply #270 on: August 21, 2010, 08:46:46 PM »
Hey scorpion hows it goin

Did you end up using an external controller with the MP you had?
If so, what guage wire did you use through the axle? How is the current/power difference? :)

Cheers

Hi Monkeymagic,

Yeah I had to use a controller from a different company, It's a 40 amp, probably more peak, I have not tested it out to the max yet.

I used 12g alphawire. It's insulation is amazingly thin and perfect for fitting through the axle. Here is the link to the manufacturers site.

http://www.alphawire.com/Products/Wire/Hook-Up-Wire/EcoWire/6718.aspx

I have pulled over 2000 watts and it doesn't even get warm!

The new controller set @35 amps is really powerful. And the ability to adjust the current from the cycle analyst is a real nice feature to have!

Offline Spacey

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #271 on: August 21, 2010, 10:36:26 PM »
Hey Scorpion,

Been following your thread and did the mod today. Man what a difference! Could I ask which controller you bought as I think I might need to do the same as Magic Pie one gets a bit hot when shunted.

Cheers

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #272 on: August 21, 2010, 11:38:54 PM »
Hey Scorpion,

Been following your thread and did the mod today. Man what a difference! Could I ask which controller you bought as I think I might need to do the same as Magic Pie one gets a bit hot when shunted.

Cheers

Hi Spacey,

Sure I will send you a pm.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Controller
« Reply #273 on: August 21, 2010, 11:42:07 PM »

I'm pretty sure Mark used the 40A Infineon Controller (C3640-NC) from ebike.ca.

Alan

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Controller
« Reply #274 on: August 22, 2010, 12:02:51 AM »

I'm pretty sure Mark used the 40A Infineon Controller (C3640-NC) from ebike.ca.

Alan

LOL spot on Alan,  ;)

I just didn't want to post where I got it from on a GM forum! But hey, since they don't offer much in the form of powerful controllers I guess it had to happen sooner or later! BTW I love the on off switch!  ;)

Sleep time now! Night

Mark

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #275 on: August 22, 2010, 02:19:44 AM »
Im not sure if ping had the diod in the BMS or if CA has it but this is what happens to most controllers when power is cut during regen.  

The motor through a switch can work as what we call in the ole times a voltage gun the inductor being a motor coil is capable of generating high energy when its magnetic fields collapse abruptly.    If not met with enough resistance like the pack normally supplies the place for regen energy to be pushed into.  

Ping battery should have this bypass diode for regen to bypass the BMS LVC.

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #276 on: August 22, 2010, 03:33:46 AM »
This is what I just did.

I installed 3 new 12ah SLA's and hardwired a brushed bike up.  Thought id share.

I get some more stuff and make those ties look neater and Ive got some tractor inner tube I can cut a whole hood out of.

I take these SLA's for a ride in about 15 mins.  Do some more tubes on it.

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #277 on: August 22, 2010, 07:11:16 AM »
LMAO I thought this was funny way to explain the Regen issue controllers have with interrupted power connections.

Alan was saying it in some other post.

Bring it on

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #278 on: August 22, 2010, 08:12:39 AM »
Okay so I'll add some more to this massive ongoing topic.

Lol how about we all add like a half dozen or so of these babies, I'm sure they will fit nicely in the hub casing haha

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Cycle Analyst
« Reply #279 on: August 22, 2010, 12:34:44 PM »
Im not sure if ping had the diod in the BMS or if CA has it

The Cycle Analyst does not need a bypass diode across the shunt on the power cables because the battery voltage/current can easily flow in either direction through the CA's shunt unit.

The LVC function of the CA (and the maximum speed and current functions) are effectively controlled by simply reducing the throttle signal voltage going to the controller.

Alan

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #280 on: August 22, 2010, 01:09:22 PM »
I don't think there is need for diodes in the ping batteries. IF regen is set to never go over say 15 amps max, then I'm sure there will not be an issue!

On my new controller 700 watts is really all the regen I will get and this will never be enough to trip ping's bms. And even going down a very large hill the battery voltage never increases much beyond 53 volts.

Maybe if you want to play it safe then sure, but I personally don't have the need? I hope I'm never proved wrong as I do have a strange habit of toasting controllers!  ;D

Offline Spacey

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #281 on: August 22, 2010, 03:02:36 PM »
So with the new Infineon controllers do you lose the 25mph speed limit that is set in the Magic Pie controllers? I can only get about 25mph maximum with the 48V 12ah Headway cells, the amps when above 15mph never really go above 15 amps even with the bridging mod so I'm pretty sure it's linked to the rpm of the wheel.

A possible reduction of amps vs rpm built into the Magic Pie external controller? Would love to cruise at 30mph which the motor and my batteries are more than capable of.

Have just completed 50 miles of hilly terrain with the mod so far, no overheating.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Cycle Analyst
« Reply #282 on: August 22, 2010, 03:15:49 PM »
Im not sure if ping had the diod in the BMS or if CA has it

The Cycle Analyst does not need a bypass diode across the shunt on the power cables because the battery voltage/current can easily flow in either direction through the CA's shunt unit.

The LVC function of the CA (and the maximum speed and current functions) are effectively controlled by simply reducing the throttle signal voltage going to the controller.

Alan

Does all that jazz work with the MP controller?  My lil brushed controller works LVC like that its cool. Maybe they should call it LVL low voltage limitation.

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #283 on: August 22, 2010, 06:42:35 PM »
So with the new Infineon controllers do you lose the 25mph speed limit that is set in the Magic Pie controllers? I can only get about 25mph maximum with the 48V 12ah Headway cells, the amps when above 15mph never really go above 15 amps even with the bridging mod so I'm pretty sure it's linked to the rpm of the wheel.

A possible reduction of amps vs rpm built into the Magic Pie external controller? Would love to cruise at 30mph which the motor and my batteries are more than capable of.

Have just completed 50 miles of hilly terrain with the mod so far, no overheating.

Hi Spacey,

There is no speed limit on the pie, It's wound more for torque than speed. 24-25mph is the Max you will get @48-52 volts. I think if you want 30+ mph and decent torque of any motor @48 volts, then I think the BMC V3 motor is the way to go. I might wait until V4 as I believe a lot of people have trouble matching it to controllers to give decent performance. Seemingly it overheats controllers easy!

Anyway for now I'm happy with the pie's performance. I think for now 25mph is fast enough as wind can be a real pain.

The cycle analyst's speed and current limiting works well, a tiny delay but nothing really. With a 15mph and 10 amp limit  I managed, with peddling, to ride for 10 miles and used 1.5 amps. So there is potential for some serious range! And the ability to change the limits while out for a ride is a real bonus! The rest of my ride home I removed the limits. I used 7 amps to do 20 miles. Oh yeah the controller has cruise too, you activate it by holding the throttle steady for 7 seconds. It can be tough to do that, but it's cruise! Not as simple as GM's button on the handlebars.

Spacey, did you buy the Magic Pie with internal or external controller?

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #284 on: August 23, 2010, 02:43:14 AM »
the CA seems to have some good piratical functions. 

Mark what were the CA limitations on the magic controller external/internal?.

And what wires are missing and what is their functions?

Bring it on