Author Topic: Much More Powerful Pie Now!!!  (Read 239990 times)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Much More Powerful Pie Now!!!
« Reply #255 on: August 14, 2010, 11:39:08 AM »
Well at least you fought your case, Alan, and just didn't role over! It's a dangerous place out there for Bikes!

I had a head on back in December 2002, I was 22. It was Christmas week and I was in a mad rush to get to my other job, Boss was yelling, customers were yelling at me. I was driving on a bad road behind 4 cars, overtook there was a slight dip in the road and I saw another car coming for me I hit the brakes, wet road couldn't stop, No abs, traction, no hope of stopping. I couldn't go through the ditch because there was a bank there so That was that in those few seconds feels like an eternity, all I could think of was not letting it end like this. Then the crazy loud bang as I hit her around 50 mph. My van, a Volkswagen Caddy hit her peugeot and the two of them bounced off each other. All I could see was her air bag and no movement, I was terrified hoping she was ok and she was. And so was I. We were both shaken up for sure. I was dizzy and disorientated for a few mins. Maybe it was the shock. I was shaking on the way home. The next day I got out of bed and hit the floor in pain, whiplash, aches and pains all over. It's amazing how you tense up just before an accident. It's amazing how the van was not broken up a lot more, and I had no airbag. Van drivers always get the less safe vehicles to drive, why is that?  There is always much less safety equipment than in cars. It's better these days, but could be a lot better!

Anyway I was taken to court, the superintendent  wanted to do me for dangerous driving, but my solicitor laughed and said that's not going to happen. And it didn't, thank god. He said the judge will have no time for me if I was out at the weekend, or drunk, the fact that I was on my way to another job and I was working and didn't cross a continuous white line went in my favour. I got done for a lesser charge of driving without due care and attention, My insurance went to €3500 per year for the next 5 years. It was my van and insurance!   

I know it was my fault and I admitted so, well it was kinda obvious when my van was stuck in another car on the wrong side of the road lol  ;D  I'm alive to tell the tale and I am much more cautious now indeed! The pressures of bosses really can put a strain on your ability to drive within limits and obey the laws, especially when your boss is an abusive bully! You see what does someone do when they are threatened with the sack if they can't get to jobs. I had to cover 200 miles a day for them assholes  and work 6 days a week, up at 5am every day. Pressure wasn't the word. There should be more laws to protect drivers from that kind of abuse, even if they had sorted out some kind of route that was manageable in the day! but hey I was still the driver and that's that really, I had a choice, get there or face discipline.

I wouldn't mind only they didn't even ask was I okay after the accident, they didn't contact me only to ask was I coming back and if not then they will find someone else. I explained that I needed to get the cash together to get another van, they gave me a week. That was nice of them lol.

Anyway I stuck it for another 4 and a half years. It was a job after all. In the end I told them to stuff it and ended up getting redundancy money, but that's another story! I guess you could say I got them ion the end!  ;)

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #256 on: August 14, 2010, 09:38:35 PM »
Alan. I rode a mc for several years and came across lot of lunatics so I know what you mean. I’m not the very best driver there is but I don’t consider myself a lunatic. Didn’t they take the guy in the car?

Mark. It seems horrible to have a boss like that, hope they burn in hell.

Peter
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #257 on: August 14, 2010, 10:38:08 PM »
Hi Peter,

It's always amazing how people like that get the promotions. I worked hard for them but it was never enough!

Anyway all in the past!

and E.V's are the future!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ok back on topic,  ::)

I can't wait now for the new controller. I have spent so much on this bike. But I want to have it right! I have learned a lot and got good help on this forum!

I still want someone out there to do a test with the bmc v3 and pie with external controller. and maybe a crystalyte 5304. All with the same batteries and controllers.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Dangerous drivers
« Reply #258 on: August 14, 2010, 11:59:45 PM »
Alan. I rode a mc for several years and came across lot of lunatics so I know what you mean. I’m not the very best driver there is but I don’t consider myself a lunatic. Didn’t they take the guy in the car?

Unfortunately I have no way of finding out, but I certainly hope they did, but I have a horrible feeling that I may have actually been blocking the camera from targeting his number plate. It seems to be locked directly onto mine in all the photos I have.

Riding a bike safely is a bit like playing chess, you have to think several moves ahead and try to predict all moves that the opposition may make. When crossing junctions, you must never assume that other drivers have seen you and are waiting for you to go past, as if they haven't they will often pull out right in front of you.

I always ride with my lights on dip beam during the day, but even still they either don't notice you, underestimate how fast you are actually travelling, or misinterpret the reason for your lights being on.  I once had a driver pull out in front of me and I only just managed to brake quick enough to avoid hitting him, when we stopped at the next set of traffic lights I asked him why he had pulled out right in front of me (or words to that effect ;)) and he simply replied "I thought you'd flashed me to let me out!" ::)

Another time, I was riding across a big roundabout and noticed a car entering the roundabout and heading towards me (presumably he hadn't seen me) I instinctively wound the throttle fully open and quickly accelerated out the way and off the roundabout. It wasn't until I got home that I discovered just how close I had come to being knocked off. The lower corner of my aluminium rear number plate had actually been bent back and had scrapings of paint on the back of it!
(Another close shave)

With idiots like these on the road it's very easy to understand why insurance premiums keep on rising every year.

Alan

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #259 on: August 15, 2010, 08:36:52 AM »
Hi Peter,

Did you get all your kit yet? is it all together?

Mark
Yes

Peter show us your new ride.  Maybe link us to some pictures.  I think those froggies are new on the shelf...  They should give you plenty of love.

Leslie.

I wonder which is worst, the cost or the wait. I’d assumed that the spokes wouldn’t fit on my new rim and I was right. What I didn’t expect was the difficulty to find spokes with the right length. The hub is drilled for 13g spokes but the rim can’t handle these nipples so I had to find 13g/14g butted spokes with 97 mm length (I really hope I have measured them correctly). The shortest I found was 100 mm and they weren’t close to the EU. One US supplier didn’t have a length limit at all so I ordered from them (hope they can do it). The spokes weren’t so expensive but unfortunately the shipping cost doubled the price so there goes another $50.

Peter
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #260 on: August 15, 2010, 12:01:42 PM »

I wonder which is worst, the cost or the wait. I’d assumed that the spokes wouldn’t fit on my new rim and I was right. What I didn’t expect was the difficulty to find spokes with the right length. The hub is drilled for 13g spokes but the rim can’t handle these nipples so I had to find 13g/14g butted spokes with 97 mm length (I really hope I have measured them correctly). The shortest I found was 100 mm and they weren’t close to the EU. One US supplier didn’t have a length limit at all so I ordered from them (hope they can do it). The spokes weren’t so expensive but unfortunately the shipping cost doubled the price so there goes another $50.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I know how you feel. For me I think waiting is the worst of all. It takes things a long time to get here!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:20:21 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #261 on: August 17, 2010, 12:01:39 AM »

Peter

Hi Peter,

I know how you feel. For me I think waiting is the worst of all. It takes things a long time to get here!

I have to wait up to 6 weeks for the Pie I ordered, Its on a ship.   Oh well at least its on its way now.

There are worse things than waiting, like dying, or being ill, or, NO!. Wow, waiting is actually pretty high on the list of worst things. ;D

Bring it on

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #262 on: August 20, 2010, 03:04:24 PM »
Hey Leslie

Good to hear your pie is on the way :D

Is this the 2x 26" ?

And sea freight? Really hope you don't have problems with customs, there is a massive crackdown on personal imports at the moment via sea freight. Might want to check with customs house just in case.

I'm not in Qld so I can't race you when you get it lol damn...

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #263 on: August 20, 2010, 08:04:14 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I got the controller, cycle analyst and light yesterday and have it all together. I installed the controller on the front forks and it means I can access the on off switch easily! I like the fact there is no spark when I connect the battery!

The current limiting works really well and would be really useful to maximising range. I was playing around with the settings and went up to Pat's to show him the new setup. We were talking for a while and then I went for a spin. For about 2 miles I couldn't figure out why the motor would cut out and then start up again. Then I remembered I was playing with the settings and I put an 10 mph speed limit on it, so I removed it and It worked fine. So I guess the speed limiting works too. Good if the police ever stop me!  ;D

I love the fact the light is powered from the cycle analyst and it is really bright! It means I don't have to remember to charge batteries all the time!

SO that's it. I think she is finally complete. Some day I will try a different battery box that is is maybe smaller. But for now it works and I am confident I won't have trouble with this controller, time will tell though! The Nights are getting longer now it's nearly dark now at 9PM so I will just go out and ride, weather dependent of course lol

I will take pics of the new kit soon.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #264 on: August 21, 2010, 02:37:03 AM »
Hey Leslie

Good to hear your pie is on the way :D

Is this the 2x 26" ?

And sea freight? Really hope you don't have problems with customs, there is a massive crackdown on personal imports at the moment via sea freight. Might want to check with customs house just in case.

I'm not in Qld so I can't race you when you get it lol damn...

Yes I did some research on  transport company,  Ive got 7 chances in 100 of not seeing my package at all.

Hopefully the arrests of certain individuals at the depo my hubs are waiting at has seen some improvements to CA postage services..  No batteries have been sent in this package so there is no questionable materials that customs could whine about, I might worry a little about the Li Ping 20ah and 15 ah packs coming soon.

I am confident that I will get everything and keep the relations in good order between myself and GM Canada..  If I have any problems the sender is my greatest ally.

I paid the remaining amount owed on the postage from GM Canada so my karma threshold should allow me receive my parcel in good order. God my Pie spends weeks on a boat travels half way around the world, I will need all the good karma I can gets.

I still owe Gary for a CA as I wasn't expecting Gary to throw that into my order.  I am glad he pushed it because I will be better off knowing some data.

My wheel was tested before it was sent and I had the pick of the best most powerful motors out of 7 motors.  Not every motor/internal controller is the same, some respond a little better to the throttle.  I get 25 amps from my pies, This should go well with the 15ah lifepo4 pack.

I want more range and cycle life for my money as this hobby of mine has grown into a necessity, and need dictates me to use common sense in choice of products and build style.  Sure! I'd love to pull 50 amps on that hill but not if I cant get my milk the next day because I popped my BMS or a cell. .

I will have to watch the regen on the ping packs the smaller 15ah Ping pack more.

More research leads me to think even Ping isnt the right battery for the MP if you want to use regen,  Regen is too much for Ping packs and braking power from 8 amps my not be over practical, I wont need regen for power as I live in semi rural mostly flat terrain with little traffic, im lucky to use my brakes 5 times on my trips, I used the regen for its fantastic braking power for heavy trailer loads.

Either way I can rig something up to provide electronic braking and power.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:25:21 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #265 on: August 21, 2010, 04:22:44 AM »
Mark.

What current can you get through your coils finally?  

This will make the difference as to how much current that can be freely supplied to the pie.  Remember your Ping packs limitations.

These pies are performing well in convenient circumstances, reports of heat shutting internal controllers down  are not unheard of.

Im going to try to make the internal controller work, then I will see how much I can push the MP under a safe set of parameters.

Regen for my new Ping packs is going to have to set very low. Ill start with 0% regen until I get the CA calibrated and reporting accurately.

Max current for the Ping 15ah pack I want to about 15A constant 18A max 15c/18m for the first month of use and I will break the pack in. It will be sweet if I am gentle when the pack is young, Then I move it up to about 18c/24m .

For the 20ah pack it will be the same 18c/24m as this bike will be more for slower use, towing and hauling long distances.  Motor controller preservation is paramount.

I guess my main task to perform is make the GM MP internal controller work and work for a long time.

Mark one thing you wana watch for is regen with the Ping packs then I guess you eliminated the LVC isssue and over current protection issue with the new controller, maybe.  If you can set the controller to LVC and shunt and diode and input back to your battery input you can save your fets much harshness if your controller or BMS  LVCs.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:28:36 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #266 on: August 21, 2010, 10:26:38 AM »
Mark.

What current can you get through your coils finally?  

This will make the difference as to how much current that can be freely supplied to the pie.  Remember your Ping packs limitations.

These pies are performing well in convenient circumstances, reports of heat shutting internal controllers down  are not unheard of.

Im going to try to make the internal controller work, then I will see how much I can push the MP under a safe set of parameters.

Regen for my new Ping packs is going to have to set very low. Ill start with 0% regen until I get the CA calibrated and reporting accurately.

Max current for the Ping 15ah pack I want to about 15A constant 18A max 15c/18m for the first month of use and I will break the pack in. It will be sweet if I am gentle when the pack is young, Then I move it up to about 18c/24m .

For the 20ah pack it will be the same 18c/24m as this bike will be more for slower use, towing and hauling long distances.  Motor controller preservation is paramount.

I guess my main task to perform is make the GM MP internal controller work and work for a long time.

Mark one thing you wana watch for is regen with the Ping packs then I guess you eliminated the LVC isssue and over current protection issue with the new controller, maybe.  If you can set the controller to LVC and shunt and diode and input back to your battery input you can save your fets much harshness if your controller or BMS  LVCs.

Hi Leslie,

What do you mean the LVC issue? I can set the cycle analyst LVC, but doesn't the ping bms protect against lvc? as for regen. Mr ping told me you 20 amps regen should be ok, but must never go over 20 amps. He said a 5 amp limit with a suitable diode if regen is going back through the charge wires!

I have set the controller to 35 amp limit, like with the magic controller, only this time I don't think the controller will fry! I have no doubt the pie motors will take 35 amps or more Leslie, my biggest test was in the woods where the hills were insane, though short enough, but I did ride around there for quiet a while and had no issues! The motor was barely warm after such riding! Again I'm not sure many people will be riding up hills like I was because some of them were quiet steep and dangerous, and required a little peddling. The problem was I could not build up much speed because I would have got thrown from the bike, so as a result the motor was mostly at the speed where it was pulling a lot of current, and I would imagine not typical of anyone's daily commute, or even fun! However if you are pulling heavy loads constantly it may be a different story! Leslie I would imagine you will have to mod the pie's internal controllers as you won't be getting 30 amps from them! If you do choose to mod, then I would disable regen altogether as I believe this makes controllers heat up even more!

The cable I am using for the phase wires is fantastic, the insulation is incredibly thin. It's 12g and even in the woods it has not even got warm!

I might increase the current to 40 amps this weekend and see how I get on. The ping battery has no issues supplying peaks of 60 amps but will trip over that. It really was money well spent. I have not fully discharged it yet and have now 300 miles or more on it. So it should take me a good 30,000 miles or more if not full discharges. That's incredible! I have no idea what it's capable of supplying constantly for long term. My biggest guesstimate, would be 40-45 amps constant! However that might shorten it's life. I don't think peak draws would have a very negative impact on it's life! I have no issues on charging either. All cells are still fully balanced and all lights come on at the same time!

Anyway Leslie I'm looking forward to your experiences with the pies! 

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #267 on: August 21, 2010, 12:42:23 PM »
You don't want the BMS cutting out while in regen mode and there be no path to the pack to drain regen off the fets.

Im not sure what happens when the bms cuts out, does the path to the pack get cut as well, pings diagram of the regen need another diode for the charge input, as you don't want the BMS cutting out and the motor drawing out from the charge socket.

I don't think 5 amps through the charge socket is going to be good enough for regen back to the pack.

The CA has got it.  Excellent.

You want the BMS to be the last device out of the two to trigger to LVC and just get a pass diode to bypass the cA that is always connected to the pack even if the CA LVCs any regen that maybe coming back through the lines can still be dumped into the pack..  If the BMS ever cuts out your fets may take a hammering but use the CA and a bypass diode to protect your controller.  The diode will only work if the CA LVCs, But the diode wont matter when your using the bike as usual.

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #268 on: August 21, 2010, 01:07:31 PM »
Hi Leslie,

Does that mean the cycle analyst's lvc will protect the controller without having to install anything extra? and should I set it to around 41 volts? I thought the lvc was to protect the batteries anyway?

The ping should not be allowed to take no more than 20 amps regen for the 48v 20 amp battery, according to Mr Ping, I doubt if anyone would set their regen to anything more than 15 amps? The new controller I got, the regen is much weaker than the magic controller and there is no way to set it different, however it still slows me down and will reduce wear on the brake pads.

By the way the cycle analyst I have now connects directly to the controller!

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #269 on: August 21, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »
Hey scorpion hows it goin

Did you end up using an external controller with the MP you had?
If so, what guage wire did you use through the axle? How is the current/power difference? :)

Cheers