Author Topic: Much More Powerful Pie Now!!!  (Read 239999 times)

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Much More Powerful Pie Now!!!
« Reply #195 on: August 03, 2010, 03:03:37 AM »
LOL I saw that one too, wth were they thinking setting that loose on a public side walk.  Ooops it gots too much traction just a little bit voooom bang crash ouch. and no helmet.

I think there were more skid marks in his underwear than on the side walk after that demonstration. ;D

I got bored of the bike, and started checking out the gal wiggling on the riders seat. :P.   ;D

Agreed about brake switches, ebikes are quite a bit safer safer without the switch. But not still a danger as people underestimate what the humble ebike can do to when it gets its head loose.

LOL I think he was too scared to lay the bike.  I would of jumped off real fast.

Edit:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:30:37 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #196 on: August 03, 2010, 03:31:53 PM »

No no.

Water is not a conductor.  It is the minerals in water that cause the by by to parts.  Distilled water is fine to pour onto stuff :o,  but it soon becomes not pure and dzzzt.

Hi Leslie, I know that, what I meant to say was if the coolant leaked the fet's would quickly over heat and fry!

Do I think I can get my pie up to the speed of the kilacycle? LOL I doubt it, not without another battery and controller. I would like to see it at 100volts! ;D If I could get it to 35 mph I would be happy, but really 24-25 mph is a good safe max on a push bike, for me anyway, going faster is really insane without protective clothing. And at that rate you would be better off on a motorbike or scooter!

I would love to have a good electric motorbike or scooter, that would be cool! I can't wait to get a test drive in the €30,000 :o Nissan Leaf in February. The electric company (ESB) is installing charging points all over the country over the next few years, slow and fast chargers, and Nissan has said they will install them too at the dealers! 0-80% 1n 15-30 mins, not sure which?  And I have no doubt that that they will show up in shopping centres and the likes, they will probably charge 3 times the normal domestic rate. I have no doubt in my mind that we will get ripped off for charging like everything else!

Now I would love to modify the Leaf,  :) a shunt here, few extra volts there. Some kind of really high current supply linked to a switch, kinda like turbo boost!  ;)

I wonder will anyone get the claimed 100 miles or 160 kms range? I bet those figures were in a town or city at no more than 30 mph! It's still way off the best modern European turbo diesels, which can reach as high as 80 mpg slightly more. Beat that with any hybrid! My old Audi A4 130hp Diesel, 300,000 km can do 48 mpg on a 100 mile run @90mph! Can do 55mpg @ 50-60 mph! Not bad for an old car!

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #197 on: August 03, 2010, 03:47:55 PM »

No no.

Water is not a conductor.  It is the minerals in water that cause the by by to parts.  Distilled water is fine to pour onto stuff :o,  but it soon becomes not pure and dzzzt.

Hi Leslie, I know that, what I meant to say was if the coolant leaked the fet's would quickly over heat and fry!

Do I think I can get my pie up to the speed of the kilacycle? LOL I doubt it, not without another battery and controller. I would like to see it at 100volts! ;D If I could get it to 35 mph I would be happy, but really 24-25 mph is a good safe max on a push bike, for me anyway, going faster is really insane without protective clothing. And at that rate you would be better off on a motorbike or scooter!

I would love to have a good electric motorbike or scooter, that would be cool! I can't wait to get a test drive in the €30,000 :o Nissan Leaf in February. The electric company (ESB) is installing charging points all over the country over the next few years, slow and fast chargers, and Nissan has said they will install them too at the dealers! 0-80% 1n 15-30 mins, not sure which?  And I have no doubt that that they will show up in shopping centres and the likes, they will probably charge 3 times the normal domestic rate. I have no doubt in my mind that we will get ripped off for charging like everything else!

Now I would love to modify the Leaf,  :) a shunt here, few extra volts there. Some kind of really high current supply linked to a switch, kinda like turbo boost!  ;)

I wonder will anyone get the claimed 100 miles or 160 kms range? I bet those figures were in a town or city at no more than 30 mph! It's still way off the best modern European turbo diesels, which can reach as high as 80 mpg slightly more. Beat that with any hybrid! My old Audi A4 130hp Diesel, 300,000 km can do 48 mpg on a 100 mile run @90mph! Can do 55mpg @ 50-60 mph! Not bad for an old car!

Coolant on fets could get a little sticky.  Especially is you mod the thing to the point you need the coolant.

Introducing DrBass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU2tZ1TDDbY
A Quick ride following cars

The fully charged battery allow this bike to do 210km at 30km/h NO PEDAL

8650W
11hp
210km range
fast charge 1.5hour
79km/h max speed

Power to weight ratio is makes for great range too.

You can do delta wye configuration.  This will give you turbo boost, a lot more speed at the same voltages.

DrBass again.

The normal ratio of a Star to Delta is exactly 1.73x and in this video it show from 35kph to 45kph . I tested that yesterday with a longer road and it reached 55kph so 55/35= 1.58x that is close to the predicted value.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VboRceBoJYw&feature=related

I don't think delta has been done on a done on a Pie before.  So do your homework.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:51:36 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #198 on: August 03, 2010, 03:57:24 PM »

You can do delta wye configuration.  This will give you turbo boost, a lot more speed at the same voltages.

tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VboRceBoJYw&feature=related]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VboRceBoJYw&feature=related[/url]

I don't think delta has been done on a done on a Pie before.  So do your homework.

Hi Leslie, I have seen dr. bass do his delta, wye, or star? I think is another? anyway,  those configurations give great unloaded speed, I have not seen anyone do a fully loaded on the bike test! It is my understanding those speed increases come at the price of much reduced torque, which might make it useless in practical terms? I stand to be corrected on this.

Anyway I don't know how anyone would get more wires out of the pie axle!

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #199 on: August 03, 2010, 04:22:05 PM »

tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VboRceBoJYw&feature=related]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VboRceBoJYw&feature=related[/url]

Hi Leslie, I have seen dr. bass do his delta, wye, or star? I think is another? anyway,  those configurations give great unloaded speed, I have not seen anyone do a fully loaded on the bike test! It is my understanding those speed increases come at the price of much reduced torque, which might make it useless in practical terms? I stand to be corrected on this.

Anyway I don't know how anyone would get more wires out of the pie axle!

You can rig it up to have the relays inside the Pie. Then you just need the coil switch wires. Fine wires will work.

There seems to be some problem from switching from delta top speed to wye with lots of torque.  The accelerator should be disengaged.  I'm reading into it now.  Something about the relays coils needing to be in series to allow all phase to switch in time.  at 48v it could be fine, 36v would be safe with the Magic controller.  

Save on buying more batteries for speed..

I think Regen wouldn't be wise to use in some circumstances.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=295494#p295494

Yes there is a speed hit and has been utilized to the point of proof.

If Delta works of the pie it would love it as it has more slots along each phase. So torque may still be in good abundance in delta mode.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 04:23:51 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #200 on: August 03, 2010, 04:44:10 PM »
I suppose power consumption would greatly increase. Though it would be nice if you needed to get home that extra bit quicker!

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #201 on: August 03, 2010, 06:31:10 PM »
I suppose power consumption would greatly increase. Though it would be nice if you needed to get home that extra bit quicker!

Hmm I don't know about efficiency.  You may get an increase of amps but not if your already having max amps happening.  As you can tell in the diagram the resistance would be greatly dropped between the phases because you are not going through two phases in wye mode.

It would be up to whether there was much wind on that day or some variable like that..  To see how the Pie in delta is, an inductance test and or impedance test would give you an idea how much is in the pie, as a comparison compare the impedance to a Pie in delta with a HBS in wye mode.

Here is some thing that may help.

The HBS in wye has 17 coils in series and (34/2)/2 coils in parallel.  We must remember that the two parallel coils current must pass through 17 coils in series si the current pathway to any one phase is spilt into two paths then forced through one phase.

So reactance of the two parallel phases is halved.  This would be the same as 8,5 coils added to the 17 coils in the header phase at any one time.  26.5 coils in series.

The Pie has 63 coils and in a switch event in Delta has 21 coils in series and a dead zone behind the ground phases.

What I may have discovered the Pie in delta  may gain torque back with the diameter of the pie having less effect on K compared to the HBS.

The faster 1000w 48v GM motor that reports 54kph in wye may be equally matched in speed and torque to the Pie in Delta.

Hey Look what I found over at ES.

I marked it in red where I think the average on road performance in red there cause someone else has requested the information.  It can indeed do around 440 RPM That equals around 55kph.

It must have short Phat windings on it.  Where as the Pie could have longer phat windings on it and express the K factor over more circumference.

So yes the Pie should do better torque in wye than this HBS and the Pie may equal this wye HBS48 1000 watt in torque and speed.  
I think a pie at 48v in delta it would be like having my HBS going 53kph at 60v with similar torque.  This is slightly inefficient compared to many other motors in why mode.

It would be just trading off the torque gains the Pie gets over the smaller diameter hubs with less coils and getting speed back in return.

The only difference would be you don't need to have another pack to get your RPM.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 06:32:43 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #202 on: August 03, 2010, 06:42:12 PM »
I would probably attempt to do it if I had another motor, so I wouldn't be off the road until I figure it all out! I'm just happy to be on the road now. And it's working fine, I love the acceleration.  ;D

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #203 on: August 04, 2010, 02:24:52 AM »
I would probably attempt to do it if I had another motor, so I wouldn't be off the road until I figure it all out! I'm just happy to be on the road now. And it's working fine, I love the acceleration.  ;D

Ha.

Of cause.  this is the mod section in an online forum.  We can dream and exercise these ideas all we want and never do a single thing.  None of what I say should be done, it just could be.

You have a good setup working.

Sometimes when we have a failure reconfigs of our setups are not such challenge, I am reconsidering what I plan all the time.  I am sirt of waiting to get some new stuff before bother doing aything.

Whats the point in doing a heap of work if I am going to change it in 2 weeks anyway.

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #204 on: August 04, 2010, 11:06:34 AM »

Whats the point in doing a heap of work if I am going to change it in 2 weeks anyway.

What are you thinking of getting if you don't mind me asking?

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #205 on: August 04, 2010, 12:21:30 PM »

What are you thinking of getting if you don't mind me asking?

Im not sure.

Im certain to get the 20" cast. Pie.  I do prefer rider torque over speed, beside my bikes cant be too off road as I don't want to draw attention to my self.

Because we rely on these things as a primary source of transport, I need some thing that can take more of harsh treatment.  I can replace bearings easy enough.  I think the senseless mode might be more efficient and reliable with the 20" as there is more movement of the wheel to what ever applies.

I want to try make the plugs work this time.

I will need a spare hub and or bike. So I was considering 700c but will get a 26" as the purpose was to have something that could be used on a few frames I have already.

Initially I will get a 26" MP on the road with the GM pack and have something that I can use out of the box.  
the bike will be light, sleek and strong, thats what the kits are made for.  I

will set for lower current like 15 amps cont to 20 max so I increase my range and try to take advantage of low wind resistance and low weight.  I only weigh 76 KG I I can lose maybe a few LBS so the whole light weight concept is well worth a try. SO I will try a light weight aluminum frame the light GM 48v pack and alloy gear.  I will go Kmart for cheap.  It would be good for my Wife or me out and about. I this want bike to be a GM gallery bike.

Originally I misunderstood stood the GM concept and built too heavy, I learned a different concept to build e bikes using large heavy SLA's so the experience was good ..  

I have wanted the 48v 20ah Ping battery upon reading the reviews on them.
Im going to try use the 48v ping on the 20" MP. This wheel be the work horse doing the most of the trips we need. The wife will pedal anything with a motor on it.  She would even use the 60v SLA monster carting 34kg of lead on the frame.

I still have the HBS hub and I may just get 6 12ah batts for it and use my 72v controller on it.  But I want to get the new gear before I waste any cash on SLA's

And I still have a 36v brushed bike playcorp Currie tech20" BMX full suspension bike I am ridding now.  My daughter almost grew up riding that thing all over, every day with me so, I will keep it running for the kids. I get my SLA's locally and everything else that's needed to put these things together.

Ha, the lil 250 watt 20" bike has low gearing on both motor and pedal so it literally jumps both wheels off the ground at the green light with some pedals, I get about 5 meters ahead of anything before top speed of 28kph lets me down. LOL the hoons think it funny.  :P
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:24:11 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #206 on: August 04, 2010, 03:33:36 PM »

will set for lower current like 15 amps cont to 20 max so I increase my range and try to take advantage of low wind resistance and low weight.  I only weigh 76 KG I I can lose maybe a few LBS so the whole light weight concept is well worth a try. SO I will try a light weight aluminum frame the light GM 48v pack and alloy gear.  I will go Kmart for cheap.  It would be good for my Wife or me out and about. I this want bike to be a GM gallery bike.

I'm not sure you will be impressed @15amps continuous, However each person is different. For me 35amps on take off gets me up to speed quick and it consumes 17-20 max on the level. @30 miles full throttle I still had around 5 amps out of my 20 amp ping, with a few steep short hills. people going up long steep hills will probably get less. (maybe)

This is the funny thing I have noticed, The slower I go up a hill the more the motor consumes,  the longer it takes me to get up. If I have lots of amps on take off I will go faster up the hill, and therefore, will get me up to the speed quicker, and I will consume less amps, once up to speed. I'm not sure I can explain it properly, but to me it is not more efficient to set less amps!

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #207 on: August 07, 2010, 10:23:27 AM »

I'm not sure you will be impressed @15amps continuous, However each person is different. For me 35amps on take off gets me up to speed quick and it consumes 17-20 max on the level. @30 miles full throttle I still had around 5 amps out of my 20 amp ping, with a few steep short hills. people going up long steep hills will probably get less. (maybe)

This is the funny thing I have noticed, The slower I go up a hill the more the motor consumes,  the longer it takes me to get up. If I have lots of amps on take off I will go faster up the hill, and therefore, will get me up to the speed quicker, and I will consume less amps, once up to speed. I'm not sure I can explain it properly, but to me it is not more efficient to set less amps!

15a continuous will be more impressive on a  Pie than it will be on a HBS.

One may think whats the point in getting an MP if the HBS 48v is faster than it.

I assume a Pie in delta = a hbs48v 1000 watt in wye, right?  Think about a Pie in wye with 60v compared to a a HBS at 60v, then both at 72v.  The speed advantages will start loose appeal with the HBS and the Pie will hold against the wind better at high speed for a few more amps..

More torque and less speed at the same voltages.

I truly believe the at 48v MP has got 12v less speed potentiality with approx 25% more torque over the 53kph HBS48v 1000watt, The performance gains the Pie has is derive from the longer windings and not thicker windings..  The Pie has a longer magnetic pulling arm so the volts per amp can be put to use not so much as the amps per volt..  

The only thing that is slowing the hub on hills and on take offs is the weight, right?  If I can build a bike that has very little weight and I weigh 73kgs, then 15 amps may seem a little more impressive.

If I load the bike to the max with a trailer, I want it to slow down.  Rather this than a melted motor.

The only thing that will be in my way is wind.  That's what the pedals will be for with the 26" build I plan.  I expect pretty much full speed on the flats and the same speed on hills with some pedals.  I expect that the pie torque will out perform either of my HBS hubs at a similar amperage on the hills.

I have mentioned I have only one climb and this is to the end of my journey where the battery is more vulnerable to be pushed hard, other than this it is very flat where I live.

Try doing a hill start with 15 amps and compare the same hill start with 30 amps and see which one uses more watts. The motor makes gravitational potential energy on it's way up,  The speed can be regained on the way back down a hill but not much can be re-gained if that speed is at maximum at the crest.  You only save time.

In some aspects you are right but in others I may be right.  Watts per distance are what you should be looking at to see what actually uses more capacity not just the amps going up a hill.

With the 20" it could be hauling over 200kgs I will need the 20" to convert all the volts into RPM which is better torque in the take offs on the 20" and use the amps to keep it there. The higher RPM will allow more internal air flow inside the motor and the speed will be higher under load so more air flow over the outside of the motor at a higher RPM will improve my cooling..  Even on the 20" I suspect the amps I will draw with normal riding will not be so demanding on hills but the over all capacity will be effected by using the capacity to generate the higher RPM.  The 20" on the flats may not be so efficient as a 26".

The questions remain.

At what load does the 26" Pie start to loose its grip of the magnet poles accumulating in power losses compared to a 20" MP. And how much more energy does the 20" MP loose doing more RPM for the same distance traveled compared to the 26"MP.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:34:29 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #208 on: August 07, 2010, 08:20:16 PM »
Hi Leslie,

I think the idea is to buy a battery of capacity that is suitable for the job. I like to have the option of full throttle for 30 miles+. To be honest the ping battery is taking me further than I had thought! If I had heavy loads to pull I would than make sure my battery could still do the miles at full throttle or at least not having to peddle.

I know what you are saying about starting up a hill @15 amps, then 30. And yess if you start from 0 it makes a difference. But I have found that the more current I use going up a hill, the quicker I get up to speed and then consumption drops. The less current I use meaning I would have less torque, the more I will continue to consume because I can't get up to speed. I don't think I can get that point across, I am not the best at explaining things!

Anyway my magic controller is toast, I was actually taking it really easy today trying to get in a lot of exercise. All of a sudden there was a very bad vibration. Motor hard to turn. So I had a 15km ride home in the wind!

So now it's official if you want anything more than 20 amps from the supposed to be 30 amp controller then buy a different controller!
Don't modify.

lessons learned!

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #209 on: August 08, 2010, 03:57:47 AM »
Hi Leslie,

I think the idea is to buy a battery of capacity that is suitable for the job. I like to have the option of full throttle for 30 miles+. To be honest the ping battery is taking me further than I had thought! If I had heavy loads to pull I would than make sure my battery could still do the miles at full throttle or at least not having to peddle.

I know what you are saying about starting up a hill @15 amps, then 30. And yess if you start from 0 it makes a difference. But I have found that the more current I use going up a hill, the quicker I get up to speed and then consumption drops. The less current I use meaning I would have less torque, the more I will continue to consume because I can't get up to speed. I don't think I can get that point across, I am not the best at explaining things!

Anyway my magic controller is toast, I was actually taking it really easy today trying to get in a lot of exercise. All of a sudden there was a very bad vibration. Motor hard to turn. So I had a 15km ride home in the wind!

So now it's official if you want anything more than 20 amps from the supposed to be 30 amp controller then buy a different controller!
Don't modify.

lessons learned!

Yes sorry to hear.

Maybe why some controllers use 12, 140 amp fets.  Heat can take its toll slowly and I felt that the heat may of been the beating responsible over all.

But alas you have much to do.

Bring it on