Author Topic: Much More Powerful Pie Now!!!  (Read 239888 times)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Much More Powerful Pie Now!!!
« Reply #180 on: August 01, 2010, 12:30:46 PM »
Thanks Alan.  ;)

Yes Sunday school has proven to be rather useful  ;D

Some of the other spokes were a little loose, and now that I think of it, they did seem tight. So that's something I must check after ever couple of rides!

They are cool looking tyres, and probably have a lower rolling resistance? I have never seen tyres like that in my local bike shop, No surprise either! They could probably order them. 

I must go for a spin today I think there is no rain forecast!  :o  It's such a shame sunshine is rare here as at the height of summer it's daylight until 10.30 PM or later if the sky is clear! I want a heatwave!  :'(  I do notice the climate seems to be cooling as I remember much hotter summers. Where is this global warming?

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2010, 03:16:31 PM »
Went for a  10 mile spin and it's fine and no more spoke noise. They were obviously a bit loose when I got the motor new!

Alan, Is your pie modded?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Modified Pie
« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2010, 09:56:08 PM »
Alan, Is your pie modded?

Mark, my Pie is only modified externally, the internals are still standard, giving a Maximum current draw of just slightly over 20Amps on both 30 and 60 Volt battery packs. 
The attachment below shows the modified spoke flange that I had to design, fabricate and fit in order to get my rim correctly centred, because I was determined to fit those lovely big tyres on the bike. ;D

As a direct result of my modification, along a few other useful suggestions from fellow members, GM quickly redesigned the motor ring, covers and axle and also implemented my proposed unorthodox spoke pattern to produce the correctly centred wheel that you now have fitted to your bike.

So it just goes to show that suggestions are taken seriously and changes are made if they are considered necessary. :)
How many other companies can you think of that would take this much notice of their customers and act upon feedback this quickly? ::)

Alan

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2010, 11:56:50 PM »
My pie isn't centred since pat made up the torque arms. One is on the outside and the other on the inside. I'm not sure why he did it, And I  Dare not ask him lol. At the end of the day he was good enough to do it and they work a treat!

Alan, Have you not considered adding a few amps to your pie?  ;D

good work with the spoke design for the pie.  ;) I did see that thread a while back!

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #184 on: August 02, 2010, 03:04:31 AM »
My pie isn't centred since pat made up the torque arms. One is on the outside and the other on the inside. I'm not sure why he did it, And I  Dare not ask him lol. At the end of the day he was good enough to do it and they work a treat!

Alan, Have you not considered adding a few amps to your pie?  ;D

good work with the spoke design for the pie.  ;) I did see that thread a while back!

Alan's Pie is limited to 20 amps inside the controller from what understand.

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #185 on: August 02, 2010, 12:48:11 PM »

Hi Leslie, yeah I know that I was just wondering if he ever got the urge to mod!  ;D

And my internal controller was limited to 15 amps. Not fair!  :'(

It does seem rather a waste having such restrictions on such a good motor!

Wouldn't it be cool if they could find a way to liquid cool the internal controller somehow? Maybe 2 pipes out the other end of the axle, hooked up to a radiator. Yes I think that would be cool!  ;D it works pretty well for a P.C!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #186 on: August 02, 2010, 01:11:56 PM »

Hi Leslie, yeah I know that I was just wondering if he ever got the urge to mod!  ;D

There's no way I can modify it to produce as much power as my other bikes, 58,500 Watts is just not feasible.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:41:35 PM by Bikemad »

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #187 on: August 02, 2010, 01:21:26 PM »

There's no way I can modify it to produce as much power as my other bikes, 58,500 Watts is just not feasible.

Alan

HAHA funny LMAO  ;D Where did you get those cool smilies?

YA I think you would fry your pie at that power level alright.  ;D

How about converting one of those cool bikes then? plenty of space for some nice lithium!  ;)
I think Crystalyte make hub motors for motorbikes ? I see some guys using external motor and chain, I think that makes them way too noisy!

The cost of lithium batteries for a project like that would be huge!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 06:18:39 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #188 on: August 02, 2010, 02:26:39 PM »
PFT! ICE motors

I should say NICE motors.

But there is an aweful lot of inefficiency that goes with those watts.

Electric motors by any standard have better potential to be powerfull. You show me a big ICE motor and I can show you an electric motor bigger.

But we await for the ESU ultra cap to power them.  Or something better.  Or real.

Mark

I your type of interest do not suit are not suited for the internal controller anyway.

Interesting.  I would love to see you do it.

For water cooling techniques you could start here.  Computer water cooling.

If you can squeeze your fets into a liquid cooling RAM block you are in for a treat.  You can also purchase some low conductive coolant that wont blow you gear up if you spring a leak.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 02:28:14 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #189 on: August 02, 2010, 03:03:20 PM »

If you can squeeze your fets into a liquid cooling RAM block you are in for a treat.  You can also purchase some low conductive coolant that wont blow you gear up if you spring a leak.

Hi Leslie, If there was a leak, it's bye bye fet's. You would need some good thermal management. That's something cpu's have and it's very effective.  You can also set in the motherboard bios what temp you want fans to come on, p.c shut-down temp etc. Also I think the pipes required for sufficient coolant flow would have to be large and would never fit through the axle.

I was going to install a large heatsink and fit it to the outside of my battery box, but I'm not going to ride in the woods for a while and so it is not necessary at the moment.   

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #190 on: August 02, 2010, 11:46:14 PM »

Hi Leslie, If there was a leak, it's bye bye fet's. You would need some good thermal management. That's something cpu's have and it's very effective.  You can also set in the motherboard bios what temp you want fans to come on, p.c shut-down temp etc. Also I think the pipes required for sufficient coolant flow would have to be large and would never fit through the axle.

I was going to install a large heatsink and fit it to the outside of my battery box, but I'm not going to ride in the woods for a while and so it is not necessary at the moment.  

No no.

Water is not a conductor.  It is the minerals in water that cause the by by to parts.  Distilled water is fine to pour onto stuff :o,  but it soon becomes not pure and dzzzt.

One thing is that if you play with water cooling you use the right stuff.  This is not unlike distilled water but has anti corrosives in them to keep the coolant pure.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5597/ex-liq-34/PrimoChill_ICE_Non-Conductive_Liquid_Cooling_Fluid_32_oz_-_Invisible_Blue.html?tl=g30c337s886

*Non-Conductivity: As with all Non-Conductive fluids, PC ICE can become conductive if it comes in contact with excessive dust or other fluids that may be conductive. The Non-Conductive aspect of PC Ice is used as a safety measure only. It is always a good idea to keep your system clean and free of dust, especially in a water cooled system. PrimoChill is not responsible for any hardware damage. Use at your own risk.]
*Non-Conductivity: As with all Non-Conductive fluids, PC ICE can become conductive if it comes in contact with excessive dust or other fluids that may be conductive. The Non-Conductive aspect of PC Ice is used as a safety measure only. It is always a good idea to keep your system clean and free of dust, especially in a water cooled system. PrimoChill is not responsible for any hardware damage. Use at your own risk.

Tooth brush your controller clean before you try it and PiMp dAt RiG.  Some UV lights to illuminate the cooling pipes.

As for the cooling the motor people cut holes in the face plate.  But honestly that could create some problems.

I thought you could bolt and thermal paste some low profile heat sinks and inside the motor on the face plates of the Pie to create a fan effect inside the motor and they could be joining to heat sink on the outside of the face plate.

Measure it all and use all the right colours and it would look professional.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:54:10 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #191 on: August 03, 2010, 01:00:15 AM »
Alan.

I do think your Motor Bikes are very nice machines.  And very well cared for, prefect!

But watch this video and tell me what you think.

This is the Killercycle.

8)

KillaCycle Affirms Life KillaCycle® is the quickest and most powerful electric motorcycle in the world. It is quicker and faster than ANY other electric-powered vehicle on the drag strip. It has over 500 hp and accelerates 0-60 mph (0-96 km/h) in less than a second! The secret– The batteries! The powerful nano-phosphate™ battery cells are what makes the KillaCycle® go as fast...

372 kw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akximCGuLm8&feature=PlayList&p=AE5AB0B04BDA8BB5&index=26&playnext=2

;D

What do ya think?  

There is not much that holds the electric motors back and you can hear that by the amount of sound such a powerful motor is making, not too loud if you compare to ICE.  The electric motor is superior in so many ways.

Mark

Do you think you could get the Pie up to the speed of the killercycle. Mwhahaha.  Ive heard of bike getting up to 100kph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0lQOBhLG68&feature=related

Meet DrBass.  This guy is very speed and power happy.  

Power to weight ratio can be seriously cool with a bicycle.  But you would need to consider the road quality and bike strength going at any speeds that will make your eyes water.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:10:03 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #192 on: August 03, 2010, 01:22:45 AM »
I guess some ship engines are super massive.

The name is Wärtsilä-Sulzer RTA96-C turbocharged diesel engine:
it has 14 cylinders
Output Power is 80,080 kW or 108,920 bhp.
(your Jeep may have 300 bhp)
width 26,7 meters, height 13,2 meters
(a small apartment building)

OMG.

This is the largest e-vehicle I could find on the net.

But you could maybe reverse the generator function here and turn it into a motor if you like.

The thing, is the ICE needs to consume a lot more volumetric space for the combustion chambers, and electric motors are much more space conservative.

Its hard to compare by size alone.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:26:54 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #193 on: August 03, 2010, 01:28:15 AM »
I've seem that clip before, but this one is still my personal favourite. It clearly demonstrates why the power breaking brake switches should always be used!

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:40:51 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #194 on: August 03, 2010, 01:43:00 AM »
This is the largest e-vehicle I could find on the net.

Large e-vehicles have been around for some time:

Airship powered by an electric motor developed by Albert and Gaston Tissandier departing from Auteuil in Paris on October 8, 1883.