Author Topic: Much More Powerful Pie Now!!!  (Read 240097 times)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Much More Powerful Pie Now!!!
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2010, 10:59:02 AM »
Yessss

But I used very thick 4awg wire and yes the current was spectacular but each of the wires that made up the gauge were tiny almost like hair.  The voltage was making a mess of these tiny hair wires.

You know how cables are made up of a bunch smaller wires inside (filament) Current has no problem running along lots of fine wires.  Voltage does have problems running along lots of fine wires.

More surface area requires a larger gauge to give better current but this has not much to do with the individual wires that make up a very thick cable...

Like in the picture above if we replaced the individual massive filaments with tiny wires but made the entire cable the same width it would be great in current, much better than the cable in the above picture.  But you would lose the "ultra high" voltage rating.  In fact it would be usless in high voltage applications.

ok Leslie, I think I got it now, thanks  :)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2010, 06:45:39 PM »
Hi again everyone,

Ok I finally got it all back together. I used 12g alphawire here is the link to the manufactures site, I used cat 5 for the hall wires. Just cut the ones I didn't want.

http://www.alphawire.com/Products/Wire/Hook-Up-Wire/EcoWire/6718.aspx

It's got the thinnest insulation I  have ever seen! but it works a treat. I wouldn't fit a higher gauge wire in the axle, so it was a perfect fit.

I haven't got the magic controller yet and used an old controller conhismotor sent me when my old regen controller burned out. It's the old silver 15 fet one I think GM used to sell them before? Anyway it supplies about 30 amps max so it's good enough.

Acceleration is good, Hill climbing between 25-30 amps is very good. And once up to speed between 24-27mph it consumes around 750 watts, on flat road compared to my old motor on the same stretch of road consumed around 1100 watts. That's the funny thing @max speed full throttle the old motor consumed 1100 watts even if up to speed, the Pie, once I'm up to speed 750watts, so does that mean the motor is much more efficient? So I know the old controller was limiting amps for sure now!

The pie has a lower top speed but with the extra torque it allows me to keep a higher speed longer, climb hills faster so maybe it's faster in the end!

Does anyone know If I can use the red switch on the throttle as a power switch for the magic controller, or the on off switch on the cruise switch? that would be most useful.

I have a scooter top box for the battery and it has to be mounted near the end of the carrier in order to open the lid and that does not help with weight distribution and probably a lot to do with the front wheel rising with the modded internal controller at 60 amps!

After about 8 miles full throttle the phase wires were totally cold and that's good, on my old motor they got pretty warm! I have no doubt this Pie Motor will take much more power and I would advise people that want more power if using external controller to use 2 torque arms, and make sure the weight of the bike is distributed more even than mine.

Anyway more to the point, I am very happy with the pie's performance even at 1400 watts or so, and the magic controller will give a little more. Well done GM, this is an excellent motor and one to be very proud of!  ;)

And thanks Leslie for all the help, I really appreciated it  :)

Offline Magneto81

• Confirmed
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2010, 07:40:46 PM »
Those wires on the throttle are for lights - I think they are much too little to be used as a switch...
Congrats on getting everything working again so soon! YAY! 750 watts, eh? ... What type of battery pack are you using? That's a fair bit of power if you ask me, my 4x 21 AH cells would be dead before riding for an hour at that rate.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 07:42:23 PM by Magneto81 »

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2010, 08:08:49 PM »
Those wires on the throttle are for lights - I think they are much too little to be used as a switch...
Congrats on getting everything working again so soon! YAY! 750 watts, eh? ... What type of battery pack are you using? That's a fair bit of power if you ask me, my 4x 21 AH cells would be dead before riding for an hour at that rate.

Hi Magneto,

Thanks. It would be nice to have nice weather instead of wind and rain to test it out more! :'( I'm using a ping 48 volt, really a 52 volt 20 ah battery. I Have seen it deliver a peak of 120 amps, that's before I fried my internal modded controller  ;D  But It could only manage that for a split second I would imagine. But it's more than capable for supplying peaks of 60 amps for acceleration!!! It did trip on a few occasions. I'm sure it will handle 30 amps continuous no problem! I think I will get close to 25-30

I wanted a 20 amp battery but GM didn't have  one + I don't think theirs is LifeP04? I love the way the GM battery attaches to the rack!

When I get the magic controller again I will set it to maybe 30 amps continuous and 40 max limit. I'm sure it will be more than fine then!

Regarding the switch, There is a separate thin wire for a switch, so I think that will be capable of working with a low current switch? Hopefully, I seem to have a habit of burning things LMAO  ;D  ::)

Offline Magneto81

• Confirmed
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2010, 09:07:36 PM »
Oh OK on the switch then! LOL! I'd hate for you to run your actual battery power through it ;)
I'd love to do what you are doing with using a nice little switch on the front of the bike for power on/off! What switch is actually being used to cut off the power from the battery pack - just a key? I'm using a silly light-switch from the heardware store rated for 15A max current - I have my Pie set to 15 max to save energy, although I'm a little worried about hill climbing.... We'll see what happens. I'm quite OK with going slow up the hill - as long as I make it! Right now I'm waiting on arrival of some batteries I'm going to try out - some nice 21AH SLA and some 12AH SLA. I got the 12AH's for $20 each, so I'm pretty happy about that and will see if I can manage having 8 of them for 24 total AH! :)  I bet it will be too heavy, but I'll give it a shot. The 8x12AH should manage 15A continous for nearly an hour.

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2010, 10:19:30 PM »
Oh OK on the switch then! LOL! I'd hate for you to run your actual battery power through it ;)
I'd love to do what you are doing with using a nice little switch on the front of the bike for power on/off! What switch is actually being used to cut off the power from the battery pack - just a key? I'm using a silly light-switch from the heardware store rated for 15A max current - I have my Pie set to 15 max to save energy, although I'm a little worried about hill climbing.... We'll see what happens. I'm quite OK with going slow up the hill - as long as I make it! Right now I'm waiting on arrival of some batteries I'm going to try out - some nice 21AH SLA and some 12AH SLA. I got the 12AH's for $20 each, so I'm pretty happy about that and will see if I can manage having 8 of them for 24 total AH! :)  I bet it will be too heavy, but I'll give it a shot. The 8x12AH should manage 15A continous for nearly an hour.

I'm not using a switch at the moment, there is nothing I can find good enough to handle the current! A key switch is a good idea for the controller. As far as I know it doesn't actually switch the battery, only the controller!

What kind of range do you need? SLA are heavy but cheap, and if they do the job, that's good! You would love Lifep04 batteries!!! 15amps maybe the max I would set for SLA batteries. I would imagine they would be weak enough for hills, but if you peddle and use it for assistance It should be more than good enough for that!

Offline Magneto81

• Confirmed
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2010, 12:06:38 AM »
I was at Canadian Tire the other day, and I considered buying a big breaker - 50 Amp - for my on/off , but I heard some bad news about taking something meant for AC and using it for DC... so I used something cheaper  ;D

So you are running quite the bike - fast and powerful! That is SUPER cool! I am jealous man, I can't wait for my batteries to come in to see how fast 48V will get me on my MP. I saw a picture of the ultimate bike in the gallery and I'm going to put my batteries just above the pedals like him - 4 12AH SLAs and then the other 4 will go on the back.

So - you are still waiting for another external controller, or are you going to stick with the one you have connected now?

-Magneto

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2010, 09:34:11 AM »
I will probably use the magic controller when I get it because of the cruise option, and the ability to adjust the current. I ordered it from

http://www.devi-motion.com/        Thinking it would not take as long, but is taking longer than if I ordered from GM direct! I'm not impressed.

Anyway Magneto let me know how it goes when you get your batteries.

Mark

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2010, 11:25:12 AM »
Holey Mc moley scorpioso those prices are massive!!

Hope you get things sorted soon.... I'm tipping if they didn't have stock they would go through GM or GM manufacturer direct and possibly take longer...

Anywho you must have lots of euros in your pocket :)

cheers

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »
Holey Mc moley scorpioso those prices are massive!!

Hope you get things sorted soon.... I'm tipping if they didn't have stock they would go through GM or GM manufacturer direct and possibly take longer...

Anywho you must have lots of euros in your pocket :)

cheers

Prices as in devi_comfort prices or batteries?

Lots of Euro's lol I wish, I happen to be a good saver and I spend a bit on my hobbies, which for now is my bike. Every man needs a hobbie! I wanted a new laptop but the old one still works, it's nearly 5 years old, but really all I do is surf the net so it's good enough for that. So insted I decided to spend some on the bike and I'm happy I did. As it's more fun than getting a new laptop!  :)

Offline Magneto81

• Confirmed
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2010, 05:52:44 PM »
Man you are so much like me! LOL! Just a little more risky maybe... haha. My first name is Mark and I'm an IT manager - I'm due for a new laptop and have been spending my 'hobbie' money on this bike and batteries lately... WEIRD eh? hehe... are you from Canada too?

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2010, 08:52:21 PM »
I'm from the south east of Ireland.

I've spent too much on computers in my time, all to have them outdated as soon as I build them LOL. So I kinda don't need the power just for surfing and use ps3 for the odd spot of gaming. And E-biking gets me out, where otherwise I probably wouldn't.

Anyways back to the bike. I went out for a spin, did 21 miles used 11.5 amps, I think that's pretty good, and I'm more than happy at the performance!

Here is a pic at last of the bike. The controller location is temporary, the top box is actually more than big enough, but I can lock it at least.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2010, 11:14:48 PM »
Well done scorpion.

Youre on the road.

For the switch you have a few options.

Relays are cool.

I use a FRA4 relay.

This is the amp chompin volt stompin power switch from hell.

http://www.ficrelay.com.hk/details/FRA4.pdf

Install this baby and rest assured it will never get stuck.

It can switch 30 amps while in use so it is safe in all dangerous situations, if you need to switch your bike off under a massive load? This will do the trick.  

You can use a 150 ohm resistor and a LM7812 regulator to feed the coil so you don't get some LVC happening when the pack runs low.

Heavy load up to 7500VA
Panel mount
Heavy duty, switching current up to 30A
High inrush current 65A and high surge voltage 10,000V
Meet with associated requirement for "UL508 industrial control equipment"
Use with air conditioner, electrical heater, remote-controlled TV,
automatic control and household electric device

On the cheap I used one of these for a while.

The switch is rated  at 15 amps if youre using it for AC but you use two poles together for a single DC switch it will do 30 amps.  Once one of these got stuck but I think it was to do with me short circuiting the switch and it fused.  I just pushed it a little and it became unstuck and settled in for a good 6mths before I upgraded to the FRA4.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 11:37:33 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2010, 12:20:44 AM »
Hi Leslie,

Thanks for that tip. I never actually used a relay, Can you tell me please do I need separate power for the relay? Could you show me a diagram of how I might connect it up please?. Would be most helpful. Thanks

Mark

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2010, 12:54:01 AM »
Here is a cute circuit.

I am going to do up a precharge delay into it latter..

I will test this out today and give it the thumbs up.

Bring it on