Author Topic: Got New Pie Today  (Read 19946 times)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Got New Pie Today
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2010, 10:28:03 AM »

Are you sure the usb link is changing the controller setting?

Try reducing the "Continuous Amps" setting to 5 or 10Amps and see if it makes any measurable difference, just to see whether the usb interface is actually changing the controller parameters. ;)

Alan

Hi Alan, I am sure that the software is working and storing the settings. I will check it again when my battery comes. It's due sometime in the next hour or so, I was thinking to myself that the software could have a few bugs in it. So I will check later.

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2010, 10:37:05 AM »
Have you tried the new pack on the old motor or the new motor on the old pack or have you covered this by using the same pack for both.

See this is where you may need to get your hands dirty and do a load test on the battery if a different pack has been used on either hubs.

If the winding connections in the motor are not soldered properly you can lose a parrallel (p) winding, but such a coincidence of having one p connection lose on each phase or even two winding connections would be rare and a single missing p winding would to my knowledge still trigger a max amp reading on the CA.

A short in the winding can render two p windings inadequate, I would still start from the pack and move my way to the motor.  

A loose p connection in a cell block can limit current and create more problems down the track, si it is important to find the bottle neck in your system.

How is the efficiency of your rides.  At 15 amps if the motor and pack is fine you shoiuld get giood range still?

Hi 317537.  I put the old battery on the new motor as my new one has not arrived yet. On the old motor it still peaks around 1150 watts.
I doubt the old Vpower battery would take much more than 20-22 amps anyway. I'm sure the range though will be improved @700 watts max  :D

Don't get me wrong though, the pie is a good piece of kit especially because of the controller integration. It gets rid of the need to mount and hide the controller and wires. It's quiet too. Barely a hum out of it. I just hope I can get it to pull a few more amps. So I will do a bit more checking and I will let everyone know how I get on.

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2010, 05:40:49 PM »
Okay got mu ping battery and I am impressed. It seems to be good quality and much more professional looking than my old Vpower and the led's are very usefull and tell you if all cells are balanced.

Like Alan suggested I turned the amps down via the software and I noticed the difference straight away, drawing no more than 2-3 amps. Turned it up to max and It went back to 700-750 watts.

So now I really believe the controller is limited to 15 amps MAX around 740 watts. Turning the amps up makes no difference at all, only turning it down.

Has anyone else hooked their Pie up to the cycle analyst and is reading 700-750 watts @ 48 volts or 52-58 full charge?

And is there a way to make the controller give out more amps? if not then my only option is to put the board from a spare magic controller I have lying around into the pie!

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2010, 03:29:11 PM »
But how is the efficiency?  From your posts it seems fine as you seem to be getting the bang for buck.  If the throttle isnt up to the task this can limit both soeed and power.

Check your throttle input and output voltage is up to spec.  About 4.8v in and 3.8v out, or simply try another throttle. If the input is limited you could use your own voltage supply> ????  

This is your order and good money man, but I think we can get it right.  For warranty reasons I suggest conduct any Magic Pie opening or modifcations under the guidence of Tom.

If youre that keen check the tracks on the internal controller are nice and thick with solder. One guy soldered a current bypass to the all channels and he said his MC got up and did the go, go, go, but I think he over did it and fried his MC.  He did not have the program cable working like you.

While the pie is open check the impedance and or inductance of your coils, test the PM frequency and width,  OMG it getting more complcated as we go.

If youre still unhappy email Tom with your details and work with him, they may send out a replacement controller and if the inductance tests are way out a new motor.  You seem capable of removing controllers and replacing them

Yeah you could try your old MC to see if it is the motor.  It depends on how rich you are in time, smarts and cash.  I think you have the smarts in check.

Unless it is a major defunct, I myself would try to rectify the situation by myself, but thats me, as I am not too fussy.  I would expect a proper working kit for my cash but have no problems replacing any faulty gear at the home with a GM replacement to avoid the shipping costs of a new wheel.

If I had to send a hub back Id go as far as sending a ill wound stator and accept a new wound stator in its place to minmise the cost of shipping..

I think GM repect those who consider this shipping expense and try everything possible to do the repairs at home.  This is just my opinion BTW.  They might not do anything I have assumed.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 03:35:02 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2010, 03:55:21 PM »
Hi 317537. The Efficiency seems fine actually, considering 750 watts gives me a max of 23-24 mph, though it's hard to calculate the efficiency. The old kit did about 30-31 mph at 1100 watts.

You say test the coils? how do I do that. I am fairly handy with a soldering iron, but I don't really have much knowledge on motors!

I must open the motor later and check the difference between the internal controller and my external one.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2010, 04:06:21 AM »
You can purchase an inductance meter on ebay.

If your efficiency is good I see no reason for the inductance test.  I "think" sensorless mode may give you some idea if the inductance between the phases are up to spec.  It wont run really reliable in sensorless or not at all.  That just a shot in the dark though and maybe hard to simulate on the pie as the controller is internal.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LCR-RCL-INDUCTANCE-CAPACITANCE-RESISTANCE-METER-w-Lead-/120589185712?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item1c13acf2b0

The inductance test is best done with the stator removed but can be done if you can get access to each phase wires.  This internal controller thing is really a big wet rain on our parade here. Its making my life as a tech officer here really hard.  :'( lol.  

I'm almost lost on how to help you through this.

Test your throttle input and output voltage and post the results.  Maybe something here we may find out but I already presumed you have tested this.

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2010, 10:53:28 AM »
Edit.

Bring it on

Offline Magneto81

• Confirmed
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2010, 03:12:14 PM »
Hi Everyone - I'm new here and just got my first Magic Pie on Monday! I'm pretty excited and already hooked up my cycle analyst to my old scooter-style ebike.

For this thread I'm wondering now.... Are all pies limited to 15A? Seems silly if the programmable interface gives you the option of 30A continuous, 50A max...
Since we are talking about acceleration, is acceleration always maxed out, or is there a setting that could be put into the programming interface to decide acceleration maximums? After all, I may not need high acceleration (Save battery power!), but I still want to climb those hills!

xxxScorp - I was curious what your cruising watt usage is. My old scooter-style ebike is always drawing at least 350 watts at 30kph on flat terrain.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 04:26:01 PM by Magneto81 »

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 06:29:35 PM »
Hi Everyone - I'm new here and just got my first Magic Pie on Monday! I'm pretty excited and already hooked up my cycle analyst to my old scooter-style ebike.

For this thread I'm wondering now.... Are all pies limited to 15A? Seems silly if the programmable interface gives you the option of 30A continuous, 50A max...
Since we are talking about acceleration, is acceleration always maxed out, or is there a setting that could be put into the programming interface to decide acceleration maximums? After all, I may not need high acceleration (Save battery power!), but I still want to climb those hills!

xxxScorp - I was curious what your cruising watt usage is. My old scooter-style ebike is always drawing at least 350 watts at 30kph on flat terrain.

Hi Magneto, My Absolute max cruising wattage full throttle was 750 watts. On flat @22-24 mph. Gps verified. I do not know if every pie is limited to 750 watts @48-52 volts! It was not able to climb hills as good as my old 1000w conhismotor, nor had it the same top speed of 28-31mph on the flat.

I think you might be disappointed with it's hill climbing abilities in it's original configuration. The usb cable will let you change amps continuous and max, but for me that was a waste of money as it was limited to 14-15amps max! You can change regen strength.  There is an option "speed scale" I've no idea what it does!

I see an option on the order page of Magic Pie internal and an option for external controller. I did not see that option when ordering mine!

The torque of this motor when fed with the right current (from external controller only) is really amazing, I had problems keeping the front wheel on the ground, and could be highly dangerous as the controller does not have a soft start option. It pulled me up a fairly steep hill @20mph while pulling 40 amps! (Then I fried the internal controller) You MUST have torque arms if feeding this motor with higher current, you should have them anyway! I don't know where you can order torque arms from, GM should supply them as an option. I would strongly advise two torque arms if modding, or using an external controller!!!

Please keep me informed of your experience with your Pie. I would like to know the wattage, amps, Voltage of your battery, lifep04 etc.

Good luck with your Pie!

Offline windego

• Confirmed
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 07:51:17 PM »
My MP 26in is running on 16s1p headways. I just put on a cycle analyst yesterday and I get 1000watts or more on acceleration but it drops off to about 500w at speed which 42km gps verified. The current I see peaks at 20Amps again under acceleration.

Seems to work really well, It would be nice to open her up to get the 1000watts at speed though.......

Stan

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 08:28:31 PM »
My MP 26in is running on 16s1p headways. I just put on a cycle analyst yesterday and I get 1000watts or more on acceleration but it drops off to about 500w at speed which 42km gps verified. The current I see peaks at 20Amps again under acceleration.

Seems to work really well, It would be nice to open her up to get the 1000watts at speed though.......

Stan

Hi Stan.

That's strange as I never saw 1000w on acceleration, max power acceleration or cruising was 750 watts, So I have no idea what was going on with mine??? I think I saw it peak at 800w max! 14-15 amps.

LOL don't open it up!  ;D

Your cruising speed of 500 watts seems good though. 500w @42km/hr is good imo!

I don't think opening it up anyway will give you more speed, I think it's wound for no more than 25-26mph so more watts will give you more torque, but not speed!