Author Topic: Batteries  (Read 3650 times)

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Batteries
« on: May 25, 2010, 07:35:38 PM »
Got my batteries today, and I have a question... Pie still in the mail... Might take a while(strike in delivery). But happy the batteries came before the bike, the other way around might be more frustrating....

I ordered one 24, one 36 and one 48V battery. Got three different chargers... different looking too... is it one for each, or can I use them as I like? thought Id only get one charger so.... wondered iff I could have one at work, one at home and one in the garage...

On computers I can read v and a on both, but the numbers don't match completly....

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Batteries
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 08:10:12 PM »
Got my batteries today, and I have a question... Pie still in the mail... Might take a while(strike in delivery). But happy the batteries came before the bike, the other way around might be more frustrating....

I ordered one 24, one 36 and one 48V battery. Got three different chargers... different looking too... is it one for each, or can I use them as I like? thought Id only get one charger so.... wondered iff I could have one at work, one at home and one in the garage...

On computers I can read v and a on both, but the numbers don't match completly....
No, you cannot mix and match chargers. They are specific to the battery voltage. I suggest you use a label maker and clearly label the matching batteries and chargers so that you don't make a mistake. For example, if you tried to charge your 24v battery with a 48v charger you would probably kill the battery and/or bms circuitry.

Muzza.au

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 08:19:03 PM »
Thanks :D. I saw something about an optional charger, so I thougt... But thanks for helping me not fry the batteries:)

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:57:02 PM »
I charged a 36v pack with a 48v charger to keep me on the road.  A 24v pack with 48v charger >>> NOT<<<< I had to watch the voltage on battery the whole time which is mega boring.

This is very dangerous to your batteries.  Some chargers can do this and some chargers will break, catch fire.

So do not be tempted to do this.  Muzza gives good advice,  label them so you can not make a mistake.

The optional charger is for more amps.  

The optional charger with bigger amps is for a fast charge.  They charge the battery faster and is safe to your battery as long as it is the right volts.  It is not as good for your battery to charge faster but it is fine to do occasionally when you need it.

People buy the optional charger and carry it in a bag with them.  They can charge fast when out on a ride and use the slow charger at night..

There are parks in our area that have electricity supplied in places for people to use there lap tops and electric cookers.  Sneak some power from the socket at the mall near where you park the bike.  

You would be surprised where you can find some free power.   :P
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 09:04:59 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on