Author Topic: Pie shutting down on start  (Read 30041 times)

Offline vapid2323

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Pie shutting down on start
« on: May 19, 2010, 02:28:47 AM »
I have attached a video that shows what I am talking about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIfal2hWlR0

This also will happen on a flat road aswell as a hill.

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Pie shutting down on start
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 02:36:28 AM »
Looks like some problem with the BMS - when the pie shutt down the lights still on.

So your battery is having a very deep low voltage when you use power.

Offline vapid2323

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 02:53:56 AM »
So, the BMS is nothing I myself can fix correct? Do you think this is something I need to pursue a replacement for?

How can I help confirm that your diagnosis is correct?

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 03:03:54 AM »
I'm afraid that if I'm correct you can not fix yourself and could be considered to pursue a replacement.

Do you have a Voltmeter?

What type of charger do you have? Check its specification to see if it matches your battery.

To have confirmation about the problem you need to e-mail Tom, and wait for more reviews here about your problem.

Offline vapid2323

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 04:30:11 AM »
I'm afraid that if I'm correct you can not fix yourself and could be considered to pursue a replacement.

Do you have a Voltmeter?

What type of charger do you have? Check its specification to see if it matches your battery.

To have confirmation about the problem you need to e-mail Tom, and wait for more reviews here about your problem.

I can go get a Voltmeter (I need one anyhow lol)

I have a HP8204L3 but mine has a higher output than I see for this model 'Output: 54.6V/3A'

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 04:39:45 AM »
I can go get a Voltmeter (I need one anyhow lol)

I have a HP8204L3 but mine has a higher output than I see for this model 'Output: 54.6V/3A'

If your battery is a 48v one it is the right one. Turn on the battery without the cable connected to it and measure the voltage right after charging, and then again after some use of the battery. I hope someone else could give a tip here too. I'm new with this too :D

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 09:50:16 AM »
Test the voltage after a charge, post the results. Then put the volt meter probes over the battery output and repeat what you did in the video simulate the hill and observe the voltage.  If it drops more 10v before it cuts out its not the controller.  If the battery stays solid then its the controller.

The 48v pack I believe consists of 13 3.8v cells that require 4.2v to recharge each.  Can I get a confirmation on this?

Gary could be right and the BMS is defunct, or a cell block is failing or something.

But it is important to rule out the controller or anything else before you move for a return.

LOL

I tried to rig up a GM brushless controller to a brushed motor by jumping the hall on the one channel IU was using.  The bike would ride for 10 seconds and cut out.

I think there are a few things that can actually trigger symptoms like this one.  A proper daignoses is going to take a little time and patients.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:52:59 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 10:15:45 AM »

Gary could be right and the BMS is defunct, or a cell block is failing or something.

I believe you mean Bruno? I just read this thread for the first time  ;)

Gary
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 10:17:39 AM by GM Canada »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 10:21:42 AM »
It looks to me like a bad connection or throttle failure. But im not a tech guy. Leslie's test does seem to make sence. Did you receive both throttles? if so does the other throttle have the same result?

Gary

Offline vapid2323

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 06:23:21 PM »
Test the voltage after a charge, post the results. Then put the volt meter probes over the battery output and repeat what you did in the video simulate the hill and observe the voltage.  If it drops more 10v before it cuts out its not the controller.  If the battery stays solid then its the controller.

The 48v pack I believe consists of 13 3.8v cells that require 4.2v to recharge each.  Can I get a confirmation on this?

But it is important to rule out the controller or anything else before you move for a return.

LOL

I tried to rig up a GM brushless controller to a brushed motor by jumping the hall on the one channel IU was using.  The bike would ride for 10 seconds and cut out.

I think there are a few things that can actually trigger symptoms like this one.  A proper daignoses is going to take a little time and patients.

I will go buy a volt meter today and run some tests, thank you all for your help!

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 10:48:39 PM »
If the battery terminal has a broken core wire this cut out could happen, so where to test along the power cable for a volatge  sag can make a difference.

If there is a bad short in the motor windings some controllers will cut from excessive current ect.

A loose, frayed wire or dry joint wire in the controller or battery pack might be shorting or disconnecting.

Does the vapid2323 have any experience with a volt meter?  Some extra help here may be required.

Hey Vapid

Do you know how to do a volt test and a different test called  current test with a multimeter?

Volts test the aggression of the electricity and the current is how thick that aggression is.  Think of a river.  High volts is a powerful river and high current is a wide river where much water passes by.   

So a powerful and wide electric supply can give many watts.   Any resistance and this gives heat by forcing power through a thin long area of conductor creating heat and thus creates both a V drop and I drop.

After the voltage test, Try testing the current you can find out how much current is going into the controller when it cuts out.

If the pack voltage sags by 5v to and the current is 2O amps at the touch of the throttle this means there is a short circuit in or after the controller.

Some pictures of the setup could be handy.

I will start to post up a glossary of technical terms soon and everyone's help will be much needed as terms differ from place to place.

Bring it on

Offline vapid2323

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 12:26:25 AM »
I just took my first reading, I am adding in the pictures so you can tell me if I did it correctly.. Also I cant seem to figure out how to read the amps, all I get on the meter is 000.

This is a reading after the Pie had ran for about 10-15 seconds (dont know if that matters)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Voltage readings
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 02:09:40 AM »
If your battery has just been charged, 48.5V is far too low, as it should be somewhere around 54.5V.
If the battery is 6 Volts too low to start with, I'm not surprised it's shutting down under load.

I suspect that the BMS is cutting out correctly due to the low battery voltage activating the
LVC
as soon as the battery is subjected to any loading.

Either the correct charging voltage is not getting to the battery (charger voltage too low or BMS not passing the current) or there could be a problem with some of the individual cells within the battery.

Try checking the battery voltage while it's on charge and let us know what the voltage reading is.

It would also help if you can check the voltage coming directly from the charger output plug, but be very careful not to short the meter probes together.
I would expect the charger output to be at least 54V.

Also I cant seem to figure out how to read the amps, all I get on the meter is 000.
Your particular meter is only suitable for measuring very low current (0.2Amp max), if you were to try and measure your motor current with it, it would simply blow the built in fuse, so there's not much point in trying. ;)

Alan

Offline vapid2323

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 02:31:15 AM »
Output of Charger: 53.1V
Output of batt while on charger: 48.5V

Offline Sangesf

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 02:43:43 AM »
Is the charger finished charging befor you take it off the battery?

If it's an SLA charger, it won't work for the Li Ion batteries. (e.g. The battery will never fully charge)