Author Topic: HELP! broken spoke  (Read 7880 times)

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
HELP! broken spoke
« on: May 18, 2010, 07:53:15 PM »
just found one of my Magic Pie spokes is broken. does anyone know what gauge and length they are? any advice how to get hold of them? any advice at all really. 

Offline Pwd

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: HELP! broken spoke
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 08:31:36 PM »
Is the spoke itself broken? Or is it the piece that stays in the rim that the spoke threads into (the nipple)? I just replaced a spoke nipple this weekend and all is well. The spoke that I had to do it too was loose from the beginning.

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 08:41:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply. The spoke has broken next to the motor where it bends and goes through the hub. does anyone know where I can source a new spoke in the UK?

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 11:08:55 PM »
Some questions need to be asked.

What size spokes and what type are they?

They need to be the same spokes you already have.

There is stainless steel and some nickel type ones.  I think you have nickel.  But gauge needs to be the same so it best to true the wheel.

I think you have a 13 gauge.

Now we need to know what length they are.

How long are they?

Many distributors may not carry your size, type and gauge so it is important we know these answers.

Bring it on

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 12:40:10 PM »
I think you have a 13 gauge.

I seem to recall that they might actually be 12 gauge spokes with 13 gauge nipples, but I could be wrong.

Obviously the spoke length will depend upon the size and type of rim fitted. If it's a standard GM deep "V" rim you may be able to get replacement spokes from a GM dealer. I know Gary (GM Canada) keeps some spokes in stock, but I'm not sure if the UK dealers will have them, but it's certainly worth a try:

DaVinci Mobility
6-8 Carraway Road
Gillmoss industrial estate, Liverpool
L11 0EE
UNITED KINDOM
Tel: +44 1515481999
Fax: +44 1515480333
Email: sales@davincimobility.co.uk

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:15:39 PM by Bikemad »

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 03:13:05 PM »
just went to my local bike shop and they said no problem they will get me a new spoke on Friday I will post how I get on. thanks for the help

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 05:02:48 PM »
Well it's Friday. Went  to the bike shop the guy had cut a spoke down to the right length and cut a new thread on the end. The new spoke was thinner though and it didn't look that good to be honest. I have now discovered another broken spoke 180 degrees from the first one so I don't know what to do now I think I may ring the UK's gm people and see if they can help.

Offline Pwd

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 05:40:39 PM »
Bummer. I assume you have the rear-pie kit? I've noticed since I've had my pie that the battery adds extra weight on the rear wheel which takes the most harsh hits when hitting a bump. Definitely contact GM, and for the future try to avoid bad bumps etc... Might want to check other spokes too and see if they need to be tightened. Hope you get this sorted out, good luck.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 07:26:33 AM »
Hey do you have rear shockies.

Makes a big difference.

And if you give your details we can match your spoke perfectly.  I took my hub to a non ebike shop to get laced and the experience was similar to yours.

I am looking at a few sites now that have some 12g and 13g spokes.

The guy at the shop has not done the right thing.

Flick your spokes like a guitar string or tap them with a short piece of steal and listen to the pitch, if they are all very high pitched you may need to loosen them a bit.  And if they are all different, or one rings high and the two from it rings low type of thing, this means one spoke is working harder than the other and may break.

Oil nipples before you turn them.

All spokes should sound close in pitch.

The pie has shorter spokes than most and there is not much stretch in them, so the tension is crucial and fast easy to fudge up.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 07:32:58 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 08:56:30 AM »
no the mtb I have is a 15 year old marin with no suspension. I think one of the things that has put more pressure on the spokes I have changed my battery rack from one that bends to one that doesn't putting more shock loading on the wheel. I have a ping 48v 20ahr heavier than the GM one

I've just ordered a new spoke key I think I through the old one away well if you haven't used something for thirty years you tend to think your nether going to.

I am thinking of getting some nail varnish and painting it on one side of the nipple so a quick visual inspection will let me know which spokes are coming loose. just hope GM will send me some new spokes

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 09:18:44 AM »
no the mtb I have is a 15 year old marin with no suspension. I think one of the things that has put more pressure on the spokes I have changed my battery rack from one that bends to one that doesn't putting more shock loading on the wheel. I have a ping 48v 20ahr heavier than the GM one

I've just ordered a new spoke key I think I through the old one away well if you haven't used something for thirty years you tend to think your nether going to.

I am thinking of getting some nail varnish and painting it on one side of the nipple so a quick visual inspection will let me know which spokes are coming loose. just hope GM will send me some new spokes

Send Gary GM Canada a a PM if your UK dealer has no spokes, he has helped a few here that are not in his country.

As Bikemad said he may have some spares.

I feel GM will accommodate your needs.  

Bring it on

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 08:57:53 PM »
Time for an up date.

Well on Saturday another spoke broke so I had to take the bike off the road. Monday morning I rang Da Vinci ( the UK golden motors agent) they sent me three spokes and charged me £2.00 that included postage. the spokes they have sent me I think are thinner but the old nipples still screwed on. so I think they are just 13 gauge. I would have ordered more but from the phone conversation I got the impression that the spokes may not fit so I didn't want to wast any more money.

I would still like the proper Magic Pie spokes though. I will update If any more problem arise. Thank you for all your help and support.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 09:36:41 PM »
It is often wise to buy a whole set plus spares. Sometimes the stainless steal spokes are thinner but they are stronger.  Its hard to tell sometimes.

I have been in this cycle of when one spoke breaks the one opposite or the one next to it breaks.  An old fella told me anyone can spoke a wheel properly but the best wheel is done by an old hand.  Ive laced a few wheels and it only gets more confusing the more you know about the balance of a true wheel.

When you tighten one spoke all the opposite spokes are effected and the one next to it is too.

Sometimes I start from scratch and lace the wheel so it is loose but perfect then I add the tension slowly around the wheel.  You really do not need the spokes to be tight.  Especially if they are short spokes.

See if you can get a whole set and start form scratch.  In this case with a whole proper set the man at the bike shop maybe able to assist better.  But honestly you will learn to do your wheel better as you will understand what you e-bike does and the problems better than the bike shop mechanic soon enough.

Bring it on

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 04:14:53 PM »
Well another broken spoke that makes 4 now. The funny thing is it's always the same spoke. what I mean by that is the Magic Pie has spokes in clusters of 4 and it is always the first spoke on the chain wheel side and the one that is under most tension when regen kicks in. Is it possible that regen is too powerful for the spokes? I have over heated my pie a few times and it has always been at the bottom of a steep hill when I have been braking a lot to slow down. so I guess it's reasonable to think that regen is more powerful than drive.

It also seems strange that I can go 1200 miles with out braking a single spoke and then all 4 go in about 150 miles. unless it is down to the new stronger rack which I mentioned earlier.