Author Topic: PUSHING MY PIE TO THE MAX 15s lipo 55vnom =62.7v hot  (Read 7399 times)

Offline alswiseowl

PUSHING MY PIE TO THE MAX 15s lipo 55vnom =62.7v hot
« on: May 10, 2010, 10:26:38 AM »
hi people,

im new to this forum,and would like to show my pie ;D

well the bike I have it on is nothing special,raleigh m100 xl frame

but whats been making me a happy man lately,is the Magic Pie running on a 15s lipo pack I had made up from me by a local sydney e enthusiest..

the pie on 55v nominal(62.5approx)hot of the charger is sweet,wouldnt be much diffenernt to a 48v pack I imagine..

well I weight about 78kg on a good day.and my pie takes me to about 48kph on the flat..its a big difference to when I originally ran it on 36v sla pack(that would take me to 30kph)but was good..

so yeh,now im on 62v hot,i don't get regen till I hit 58v which takes me about 15-20minutes of run time to get down to,so I only have a front v brake(need to upgrade)..

i have noticed golden motor have a internal controller for sale that is programmable to 50amps its the
 PI-0200I
internal
$33/set

wouldit be possible for me to swap ot the pies controller with this one and be able to use my 15s pack??
thanks for your help people
i will have some videos of the pie in a few days time hill climbing ect..
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 10:35:08 AM by alswiseowl »

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: PUSHING MY PIE TO THE MAX 15s lipo 55vnom =62.7v hot
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 04:35:50 PM »
Any specs? TOp speed acceleration :D

Offline alswiseowl

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 02:01:26 PM »
well when it was going it was good,

but after my first 2km ride at 55v,i did notice a couple of loose spokes..
i still kept riding it for the next couple of weeks,thinking 1 or 2 loose spokes not that bad,
then I noticed the tire would touch my frame swingarm when riding..
now there 2 nipples ive lost,worked up into the rim..pretty much unridable..
well ive stopped riding the pie as of today >:( cause its just to wobbly/dodgy whilst riding

so yeh I wouldnt recommend riding the Magic Pie 1 on/off road on a 15s pack(55v nom)...when I had it a 36v the spokes seemed to handle it better.but more power,more strain on parts I guess..

now ive got to get some spokes + find/pay someone to relace it properly if its possible,how ever I do have a spare rim that originally comes with the pie...
but im not going to lace it with its original rim and spokes cause the problem will just occur again.waste of time..

i really hope the Magic Pie 2 that are soon to be released,can support the 72voltage g.m claim it can take..not the hub motor itself but the spokes + rim and way they are laced.

TRK

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 02:08:42 PM »
Sorry to say it, but if you had tensioned the spokes properly right away, that probably wouldn't have happened at all.

Offline alswiseowl

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 06:27:00 AM »
hi cezar..

your right,good news is that last night I managed to fix my rim back together again :),it was my first time,having to true a wheel,its easier to do than i  first thought...now my rim/tyre turns with out hitting the frame as it turns..

now I know to keep the spokes nice and tight.i wont let it get bad again...

its raining where I am so im reluctent to do a vid till the weather clears up..

im generally wrapped with the pie,just wish it had a little more torque + top speed..but for the bike I have it on,i don't really want to push it any harder,till I upgrade to hydrolic disk brakes

theres also a little buzzing sound coming from inside the hub,or that black square plug that comes out from the lead of the motor??
cheers

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 07:23:09 AM »
hi cezar..

your right,good news is that last night I managed to fix my rim back together again :),it was my first time,having to true a wheel,its easier to do than i  first thought...now my rim/tyre turns with out hitting the frame as it turns..

now I know to keep the spokes nice and tight.i wont let it get bad again...

its raining where I am so im reluctent to do a vid till the weather clears up..

im generally wrapped with the pie,just wish it had a little more torque + top speed..but for the bike I have it on,i don't really want to push it any harder,till I upgrade to hydrolic disk brakes

theres also a little buzzing sound coming from inside the hub,or that black square plug that comes out from the lead of the motor??
cheers

I once silver soldered a broken spoke together.  It turned out pretty tough.

I was wondering once the wheel was true would silver soldering up the nipples to spokes be ok to do?

Providing the wheel isn't wrecked there isn't much reason to play with the true of the wheel.  Fiddle too much here and the nipples round or the spoke thread pulls through.

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 07:34:51 AM »
hi people,

but whats been making me a happy man lately,is the Magic Pie running on a 15s lipo pack I had made up from me by a local sydney e enthusiest..

the pie on 55v nominal(62.5approx)hot of the charger is sweet,wouldnt be much diffenernt to a 48v pack I imagine..

wouldit be possible for me to swap ot the pies controller with this one and be able to use my 15s pack??
thanks for your help people
i will have some videos of the pie in a few days time hill climbing ect..

Yes

But I would be careful and make it so my battery could not be charged until I switched off the controller. DPDT switch, Controller on, charger off, charger on controller off.

Bring it on

Offline alswiseowl

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 12:12:07 PM »
hey leslie..

im pretty sure your the person who helped me out with some varistor + resistor on another forum,thanks heaps and how have you been,what sort of motor are you using at the moment.what type of batts are you using

yeh silver soldering up the nipples doesnt sound like a bad idea.i think I also read maybe some nipple washers may also help the problem...

pending how long the pie holds up on 15s,is when I will modd it..
i would like to keep it in the g.m family the modd,ideally if yao or some one from g.m could send me the Magic Pie 2 controller
to swapp out with the current mp1 controller,then I would be wrapped..i could add some more voltage + be able to programm the amps..thats my goal..to get 72v 45amps-50amps on the pie...i don't plan on peddling much ;)

anyways take care mate..
i should have some vids up by tomorrow night..i will do some flat terrain riding,mild hill climbing,+killer hill climbing(motor alone cant climb)
Alex

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 01:06:04 PM »

Here is a simple circuit on a switch that worked for years for me.  There isnt any reason why you couldn't use a DPDT relay in its place.

All those amps wont do much unless you looking at making it work for distance as in AH for batteries.  The coils are limited by the windings.  I think the pie uses 8x.5mm copper that is capable of drawing 2.2 amps each (17 amps) constant.  You might push 2.5~2.8 amps (20 amps) constant.

Any amps allowed to go through above this range becomes inefficient and does not add much to your cause.  Motors designed to be powerful are designed to be efficient to the output, but to make a small motor more powerful than its design can be a waste of time when you could just buy the more powerful motor in the first place..

Like with everything someone designs a motor for 48v and someone comes along and plugs it into a 84v nominal pack to see how fast it goes.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 11:09:48 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 01:31:36 PM »
hey leslie..

im pretty sure your the person who helped me out with some varistor + resistor on another forum,thanks heaps and how have you been,what sort of motor are you using at the moment.what type of batts are you using

I use a HBS36v @ 60v with a 40 amp 72v modded to 48v Ecrazyman controller running at a remoded 60v 20 amps.

I was running 5x 24ah 12v ritar SLA's that are not all too robust any more so my hub is in dry dock awaiting some lithium love.

ATM I'm rocking around on a 36v brushed bike towing 3X 20 watt solar panels behind it on a trailer.  That 60 watts of solar certainly works on the new 12ah SLA batteries I'm using until lithium love comes my way.

BTW that was a thermistor not varistor.  ;D

Good to see your getting places faster on a Pie.  Nice bike BTW.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 01:33:52 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline alswiseowl

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 09:19:50 AM »
thanks leslie..

ok so with the new Magic Pie 2,do you think it will be a different motor,or just the mp1 with higher caps controller.(thats what I was thinking)...

so in your opinion,what would be the max voltage & amps (not ah) the pie could take,before it would become inefficient..

i wouldnt mind getting a rear 1000watt g.m,i know you can beef them up/probably more so than the Magic Pie....

cheers
Alex

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 01:43:07 PM »
thanks leslie..

ok so with the new Magic Pie 2,do you think it will be a different motor,or just the mp1 with higher caps controller.(thats what I was thinking)...

so in your opinion,what would be the max voltage & amps (not ah) the pie could take,before it would become inefficient..

i wouldnt mind getting a rear 1000watt g.m,i know you can beef them up/probably more so than the Magic Pie....

cheers
Alex

I don't know about the old HBS getting up and taking more than the pie.

It will be the same stator with an updated controller.

I think the Pie would be a nice 60v nominal hub.  I'd say its designed for 48v, so up another 12v should see a worth while performance boost with an acceptable hit on efficiency without having to mess with the duty cycle..  Its hard to say as not a lot of data has come out about the windings on the Pie.

For high performance I would be removing the controller from inside the hub.  Most power mongers would be doing other stuff like that anyway.

The MP2 even though it will have the better Fets I'd be inclined to still use it as a 48v controller and it would be a very tough controller.

The adjustable regen and 100v fets is going to be the best thing for the folks with different wheel sizes.

Bring it on