Author Topic: Magic Pie II Updates  (Read 70152 times)

Offline Aldby

• I have been an e-biker / pedelec rider since 2007
Re: Magic Pie II Updates
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2010, 05:44:09 PM »
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am new here :-\ This thread is about the Magic Pie II, but ther is no mention of when it will be available, can anyone answer that ???

John
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:09:37 PM by Aldby »

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2010, 07:37:10 PM »
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am new here :-\ This thread is about the Magic Pie II, but ther is no mention of when it will be available, can anyone answer that ???

J :)hn

Hi Aldby,

Welcome to the GM forums!  ;D

I don't think the Magic Pie II will be available until the end of next year at the least!

Are you after Dual drive or the new pie II motor?

Mark

Offline Aldby

« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2010, 08:08:14 PM »
Hi Mark, thanks for the welcome.

No, I'm not interested in the Dual Drive, I'm looking for a motor kit for a recumbent tadpole trike.
The Magic Pie version 1 and assumed V2, if available would be an improvement.
From what I have read on this forum, the current MP seems to have some flaws.

John

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2010, 09:07:34 PM »
Hi Mark, thanks for the welcome.

No, I'm not interested in the Dual Drive, I'm looking for a motor kit for a recumbent tadpole trike.
The Magic Pie version 1 and assumed V2, if available would be an improvement.
From what I have read on this forum, the current MP seems to have some flaws.

John

Hi John,

Yes the internal controller and the external controller does have flaws, But the motor itself is really good. If you get the pie motor wired for external controller, and use an infinion based controller from a non GM supplier. you will be very happy indeed. This motor has serious torque and I'm feeding it 40 amps @ 48-52 volts. I get 25 mph max speed. If you want faster I would go with a 72 volts.

At 60+ amps this is an animal and you really need serious torque arms to keep the axel from spinning in the dropouts of the bike frame!
I have not done any long term tests @60+ amps so that's up to you!  ;D

Mark

Offline Aldby

« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2010, 07:07:24 AM »
Thanks for your reply Mark.
I am no electronics expert and would really like a kit that works straight from the box, if the MP did this and good after sales service, then It would be serious option.
I have owned in the past a Bionx PL-350 powered bike which was flawless, but the kit is way over my budget for this project. I'm leaning towards a 350w Ezee kit. I have a lot of exprience with Ezee powered bikes and already have a 14Ah battery in my Ezee Forza. There is also good Ezee backup in the UK.

John

::::::

« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2010, 09:26:33 PM »

i would also like to cast my vote for cleaning up the cables.

also a more slim-line thumb throttle controller with very small buttons for lights and cruise, one standard size brake button, and smaller LED battery indicator.

thanks!  ;D

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2010, 01:02:09 PM »
Fully agreed!! Take my vote for these ideas too!

i would also like to cast my vote for cleaning up the cables.

also a more slim-line thumb throttle controller with very small buttons for lights and cruise, one standard size brake button, and smaller LED battery indicator.

thanks!  ;D

Offline Hednztrüm

• Confirmed
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2010, 10:40:56 AM »
How can I see if the pie is the faster model?

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2010, 12:02:42 PM »
How can I see if the pie is the faster model?

There is no faster or slower model. The is a purpetual myth that keeps coming up.

Gary

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie wheel speeds
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2010, 12:28:38 PM »
There is no faster or slower model. The is a purpetual myth that keeps coming up.

Gary, that's almost correct, with the exception of the 16" pies, these are wound differently to enable a much higher wheel speed (480rpm instead of 270rpm), but with lower torque.

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
Thanks Alan, I forgot about that one! I'm just trying to correct the myth about there being different speed pies for the same wheelsize. I have however noticed after testing many motors that some pull more amps then others right out of the box. But once you use the USB cable to save settings they are all about the same. I guess that some have had the settings saved once already and others have not. Im really not sure of the reason.

Gary

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2011, 11:51:29 AM »
Big BUMP for this thread!

Hi Everyone, I hope all your pies are still fresh?  ;D

Any news on the pie II ?

I think it would be really cool if GM made a hi power geared hub!

I think for the pie II they are going to give people the option of a faster wind, with less torque?

It's a shame you nearly always have to trade either speed or torque, that's why I would like to see geared hubs, and that would help cut the weight too, I know Geared hubs can have gear problems, but with the BMC that is really not a problem any more. I think MAC are coming out with stronger gears too!

Mark

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2011, 05:11:10 PM »
Big BUMP for this thread!

Any news on the pie II ?

Mark

Hi Mark,

As much as I say it, no one ever seems to agree with me. Alot of people, including myself have been riding around on the Magic Pie II for quite a while. The wheel is centered and has a programable controller that can be internal or external. GM is always improving and releasing new products and in the future there will be more improvments made. Also I'm sure in the future people will still ask "where are the Magic Pie II's" and at that time I will be telling them, "we are already riding around on what people should consider MP3." I am sure many at that time wont believe me either.  

Think about it, If people were suddenly presented with a newer wheel with a new name, it would simply make eveything that already exists obsolete. I don't think it will ever happen. It wouldn't make sence to do it that way. I think we are more likely to see people in the forum in the future post something like. "I just received my new Magic Pie and its even better then the old one!"

Enjoy the Ride!
Gary

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2011, 09:10:46 PM »
Hi Gary,

Yeah that makes sense!

Yeah I am happy with my pie, but it would be nice to have faster speeds, And if possible without sacrificing torque!  I would be very with 30 mph, but I guess I could always upgrade my battery in the future to 72 volts for maybe 35 mph, and without loosing torque?

I think I would like to be able to have 2 batteries, say 2 x 52 volt pings, and  have the option of series or parallel connection to either give more speed or twice the range, I say 2x 52 because I would like the faster speed of a single 52 volt!

Magic Pie @ 104 volts? oh yeah muhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah  ;D

Mark

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2011, 03:24:56 AM »
Hi Mark

Check this one out, 16 in Magic Pie at 88v volts 50 amps racing around with another over amped bike. Of couse this would void you warranty ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwv-2wPjhQ0

Gary