Author Topic: Rear Wheel Kit Buyers -- Any Installation Troubles With Yours?  (Read 15180 times)

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
Rear Wheel Kit Buyers -- Any Installation Troubles With Yours?
« on: September 06, 2007, 04:23:17 AM »
I purchased a rear wheel kit from Golden last month (info here), and quite frankly am very disappointed in the deal. I still have not had the bike out for a ride with the wheel on it because there were several things wrong with it that prevented me from even mounting it on the bike, much less powering it up and putting it to work.

From earlier reports, it sounded like the rear hubs shipped with threads on both sides, for the freewheel on the right and a brake on the left. Golden is apparently making some changes to the rear hubs to get them to fit the standard dropout widths, as mine arrived without the threaded cover on the left, but had the axle and spacers as if it should. This left me with two options; modify the rear triangle to accommodate an unnecessarily wide hub, or modify the hub (cut new spacers and grind down the flats on the left side of the axle) to make it fit my 135mm dropouts. Given the absence of the left side threads, and the fact that I'd like to retain the option of popping my standard rear wheel in place if I want to take the bike out bombing around on the trails, I opted for the latter; modding the hub.

So far, I've got things pretty much ready; the new spacers are cut, leaving me my 135mm dropout space, and the axle flats on the left side have been ground back to where they need to be for the narrower dropout space. Last thing to do is dish the wheel; the wheel was built with the rim centered over the flats on the axle, but with the changes I've made the wheel is off center quite a bit. I should be able to get that licked in the next day or so, once I track down a truing jig. Or talk a buddy into doing it (may be the better option!)

I guess my purpose in this post is to find out whether others' experience with the rear wheel kits is any different than mine. Are all of them this much of a handyman's special, or did I get an extra treat with mine?

Also, how has it worked for you all in mounting your batteries? I'm rigging up a frame that will mount mine in the center triangle of the frame, wanting to do what I can to keep the weight distributed between the wheels. I also thought of mounting them in the front using an old set of Blackburn LowRider racks that I have hanging in the garage, but alas the LowRiders weren't meant for shock forks, so that's out. A front rack below the handlebars would work, but how dorky is that? Any other ideas?

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Rear Wheel Kit Buyers -- Any Installation Troubles With Yours?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 05:25:26 AM »
----- Original Message -----
To: David Thornton
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 11:36 PM
Subject: Re: rear wheel kits

Hi David,

Actually I discourage the purchase of a rear wheel kit for use on a bicycle unless you already have a steel frame with a steel rear triangle and dropouts and Tandem spacing (160mm) since trying to cold set a 130mm standard MTB rear triangle to 160mm is a very bad idea.

However, if you live near Sturgis this should not be a problem as most anyone there can provide you with any kind of frame you want with whatever rear axle spacing you need (160mm). Also rear wheel kits require lead acid batteries to be center or trailer mounted to prevent unintended wheelies. Unless you are planning to use one to build an etadpole, in which case I say go for it!

The quickest way to get a front wheel kit aside from ordering it directly from China and paying the additional shipping cost depends pretty much on rim size. I can not and will not speak for anyone else but I am setup to take immediate orders for any size kit by email but please note that since the container shipments have not yet arrived in port I can not provide even an estimated time of delivery. Delivery could take a number of weeks and could certainly take a lot longer than the end of August.

Simply complete the 4 steps below and submit via reply email to receive total cost including shipping and payment options.

Once payment is received your name goes on the list of kits to be delivered.

1.) By submitting this order I am consenting to be bound by the terms of the following Liability Agreement:

http://myelectricbike.org/adaptron/Liability_Agreement.txt

2.) Please provide a contact phone number:__________________

3.) Go to http://www.fedex.com/avs/us_english/?link=4 and enter your shipping address. Then copy and paste the results below. (Note: this will assure timely delivery and make payment of the cost of shipping in advance by check or money order unnecessary.)

(Paste FedEx address checker results here.)

4.) Indicate wheel size: 16", 20", 24", 26"

Thanks,

Patrick

To: ebike@verizon.net
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 10:27 PM

So you must be the Patrick Eberhart mentioned on Golden's site along
with the assembly instructions? What user name do you go by on the
user forum?

Timing may become a consideration, because I live in South Dakota and
the riding months are fast fading away. But from what someone on the
forum wrote, having a kit shipped directly from China would be too
expensive.

What can you tell me about the eta on the next shipment containing
rear wheel kits?

What's the fastest (& cheapest?) way to get the rear wheel kit?

Would going with a front wheel kit expedite things at all?

Sorry for all the questions, but you seem to be more knowledgeable
than most, and more responsive than the Golden people!

Thanks!
--
Dave

On 8/8/07, ebike@verizon.net <ebike@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>
> Hi David,
>
> Actually I'm just a Golden owner myself. I spent about a year looking for a
> sport bike ,like a Honda Interceptor, on eBay when a good buddy was killed
> on the same day he got his. I rode a Honda 50 miles a day back and forth to
> school my second year in college and never wore a helmet or worried about an
> accident until the death of my friend. After the accident I decided that not
> only a helmet might be a good idea but a less powerful bike.
>
> I was really disappointed at the cost of the lower power options like
> Vespas, etc. and went looking for a gas power bike motor like Honda started
> his company with. In the course of looking I came across several electric
> scooters and then an electric bike but did not buy one until I found the
> Golden kit.
>
> Long story short the kit did not include an assembly manual so after
> realizing how well the kit was made I offered to write one for Golden. In
> thanks Golden gave me authorization to sell its products and took me up on
> the idea of the Golden Motor Owner's Forum.
>
> Normally Philip Yao does sales and takes orders for anyone that makes it as
> far as the Golden web site but currently he may be busy setting up a
> customer service center in Shanghai.  Consequently by participating in the
> forum and handling some technical details and sales, I'm helping current
> owners, potential owners, Philip and myself out.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Patrick
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: David Thornton
> To: ebike@verizon.net
> Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 12:24 PM
> Subject: Re: rear wheel kits
>
> Patrick:
>
> Thanks for the info. Just curious though what your connection to
> Golden Motor is and what you have to sell. Did you get my contact info
> from the Golden Motor discussion page? I don't mean to be standoffish,
> but I'd just need to know a little more about who you are before I do
> anything.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Dave
>
> On 8/8/07, ebike@verizon.net <ebike@verizon.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi David,
> >
> > If you do  not get a response from sales it is most likely because they
> are
> > still busy setting up a customer service center in Shanghai.
> >
> > You can place an order and pay for a rear kit through me. However, rear
> > wheel stocks through the  West coast warehouse are currently depleted and
> > your order will not be filled until the container shipment arrives and is
> > processed through customs. I am also waiting on a container shipment but
> > unfortunately it has not rear wheel kits.
> >
> > The only advantage of placing an order now is to be higher up on the list
> > when the shipment comes in.
> >
> > Let me know if sales continue to be unavailable and you want to place an
> > order.
> >
> > I can accept a check or money order and provide you with a discount for
> the
> > fee PayPal charges me.
> >
> > Patrick
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 09:15:28 PM by myelectricbike »

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 05:12:58 PM »
Thanks for your invaluable input Patrick. And that was helpful in what way?

Since you refuse to respond to my private message, am I to understand that you wish to continue with the flame war, and share the bounty with all? Don't look for me to participate, if that is indeed your purpose for responding to my post.

Offline al

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 05:42:30 PM »
hi Dave
as you no I am the other person (maybe in the world) who bought the rear wheel kit . I didnt get any spacers with mine so I tighted it up to the end of the flats seems good but I don't know if the bearings will slip when I finally get er running. I bought a new controller from the states should get it next week, it will be interesting to see if the wheel holds but as you know with this crowd your on your own once you buy.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 06:02:10 PM »

Hi David,

Actually I discourage the purchase of a rear wheel kit...

Seems that you ignored available, voluntary and free heads up tech support prior to making your purchase. Just pointing out what happened as the result of casting my pearls before a swine as a heads up for others.

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 06:14:06 PM »
I would think a front triangle mount would be the best place for the batteries.  I would think the battery weight moving with the front wheel may make steering more difficult.

Can't comment on the additional work you've had to do to get the bike up and running.  Sounds like the product has not settled down to a 100% standard configuration, it seems like there are different iterations with different issues showing up over time.  Nice to hear you were able to get the motor fitted in your dropouts rather than requiring a much larger spread.

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 07:04:38 PM »

Hi David,

Actually I discourage the purchase of a rear wheel kit...

Seems that you ignored available, voluntary and free heads up tech support prior to making your purchase. Just pointing out what happened as the result of casting my pearls before a swine as a heads up for others.

Yes I chose to ignore your advice (as I choose to ignore your derogatory comments) with good reason. Your "pearls" were not of concern to me. "steel frame with a steel rear triangle and dropouts"... check. "Tandem spacing (160mm)"... not much of a concern since I am capable of changing the spacing on the rear triangle and/or building a new rear triangle for my bike. "requires lead acid batteries to be center or trailer mounted"... not a problem. "unintended wheelies"... sounds like fun. "planning to use one to build an etadpole, in which case I say go for it!"... I am, and I did (go for it).

The issue I have is that it is not suitable for use as it was delivered. And I posed the question to the forum to see if I was alone in getting something that was not suitable for use. Apparently not. I'm disappointed enough with the hub and disgusted enough with the abuse you heap on forum members that I've requested a refund from Golden.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 07:29:09 PM »
Had you questioned me or the ebike community about potential issues with Golden kits instead of using my email address as the sole basis for doubt then you may have learned that the purpose of this forum was to allow owners to help each other overcome such problems. However, because you blew your heads up opportunity to ask relevant questions, I now believe the intended reason for your purchase was to acquire a test sample you could write about and to request a refund in an attempt to get that sample for free.

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 08:11:09 PM »
Had you questioned me or the ebike community about potential issues with Golden kits instead of using my email address as the sole basis for doubt then you may have learned that the purpose of this forum was to allow owners to help each other overcome such problems. However, because you blew your heads up opportunity to ask relevant questions, I now believe the intended reason for your purchase was to acquire a test sample you could write about and to request a refund in an attempt to get that sample for free.

The hub is going back.

Your email address was not the sole basis for the doubts I had about you. Anyone who is trying to sell me something and is as evasive as you were in the initial contact receives the same scrutiny.

Excuse me for having the same first name as another smart would-be customer that took things one step further than I did.

Offline jfuller

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 08:13:14 PM »
Get that freak myelectric bike off of these boards!

Everyone complain!!

This guy is skitzo!

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 08:14:59 PM »
Thanks for revealing yourselves to be the kind of onwers Golden is better of without.

Offline jfuller

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 08:16:06 PM »
Yes... welfare case.. you decide what golden wants HAHAHAA

Dude you need to be on medication

FREAK

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 08:22:03 PM »
Thanks for the compliment.

Offline jfuller

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 08:32:43 PM »
Everyone get together and remove this tard from these boards.. its not fun to ask questions here, its not fun to do anything related to golden kits here either. just everyone email golden and have him removed.

Thx

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 08:36:47 PM »
It depends on you definition of fun and since you can get your jollies on other boards I suggest that's were you land next.