Author Topic: Bug E  (Read 15319 times)

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Bug E
« on: August 17, 2007, 06:16:31 PM »
The local TV news did a blurb about a local company that manufactures this electric kit vehicle.

http://bugev.net/BugE_Concept.html

I like the look of the design but I think the range is too short and it needs more grocery hauling capacity.

You could save money by using goldenmotor parts for the power. (had to make my post site relevant )
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 12:49:34 PM by Bikemad »

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Bug E
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 11:06:53 PM »
That top view makes it look like an Alien dressed up in a tuxedo or one who's mommy last dined on a penguin.  ;D

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
I like the styling.

For some reason riding in a recumbent trike/tadpole with an overhead fairing on the road would scare me more than biking in traffic.  That extra foot of width just seems like it would be more likely to get clipped in traffic.  I'm sure it's just a just a personal paranoia, as this thing is certain to be noticed by a vehicle coming from the behind, but *shiver* it's not for me. 

The width steals away a bit of your ability to move alongside stopped traffic to guarantee you never have to sit through a stoplight twice.  That's one of the benefits keeping a slower top-speed e-bike almost as fast as a higher speed vehicle in some commuting scenarios.

The overhead protection certainly makes it more of a year-round commuter for some climates.

I like this quote from their FAQ:

Is it safe?

A BugE offers more visability, stability and protection than a bicycle, or motor scooter. But there are large, dangerous vehicles and inattentive drivers out there, they pose a threat to everyone.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 11:37:13 PM by OneEye »

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 12:50:04 AM »
It is licensed as a motorcycle so you don't get to enjoy the perks of a bicycle rider and cut through traffic. Unlike Calafonia in Oregon motorcycles can't lane split so you would have to behave yourself just like a car. Eugene is only about 40 miles straight line from the Pacific Ocean so we get our share of rain, between 60 and 80 inches a year, but it doesn't snow or freeze much. Light rain gear works just fine.

I hope to get a 30 mile range with my recumbent and if I run out of juice I can still peddle my way home. I wonder how hard the BugE is to push when it quits. Do you put your feet on the ground and Flintsone it?

Did you check out the Gizmo, an earlier project this fellow was involved in? When I first saw it some years back I thought it was pretty interesting until I heard the price.

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 09:16:17 PM »
I'll have to look at the Gizmo.  Haven't heard of it until just now.  The BugE weighs 300 lbs according to its FAQ, so you certainly don't want to run out of juice away from home.  I doubt pushing the thing around would be a pleasant experience.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 09:18:02 PM »
That's also why the invented electric wheelchairs...

Offline trappermike

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 08:30:24 PM »
Also something to keep in mind with a vehicle like that is it looks very low profile,the top of it is not very high. Cars in front of you or beside you may not see you! Someone in a car who is braindead or chatting on the phone can hit you,and you lose. At least on a bicycle you sit fairly high and are more noticable.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
The Bug E is classified as a motorcycle(not a bicycle). In the U.S., even withn the higher visibility, motorcyclist suffer more fatalities than automobiles, :)

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 11:44:16 PM »
 I am for EV's especially for short commutes and  errands. The Bug E($12,000 retail) has a niche, however, an ebike is better for some people more than others such as young adullts that can not afford auto insurance and short distance commuters.  :)

Offline cadstarsucks

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 01:37:43 AM »
I am for EV's especially for short commutes and  errands. The Bug E($12,000 retail) has a niche, however, an ebike is better for some people more than others such as young adullts that can not afford auto insurance and short distance commuters.  :)
If it costs that much it is not even worth considering...  :(

Dan

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 02:12:59 AM »
 That is my thought too. for that price you could make a homemade plhev out of an old compact econocar and still have change leftover.  ;D

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 02:25:22 AM »
Or after you got rid of it on eBay you might have enough to get one of these...  ;D

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 03:46:20 AM »
 That looks familiar, around amish country.  :)

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 03:24:07 PM »
Is there a Tandem or would I need to get one of these...?

Offline cadstarsucks

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 05:50:12 PM »
$12,000?  :o ::)
You don't seem to be able to read. It doesn't sell anywhere for $12,000, unless some friend of yours figured he would buy everything for about 4-5 grand and decided to sell it to you for $7000 profit for a weeks work, and now you figure that's the price. With the electric drive parts I put together for it, which would push the speeds well past 55MPH, it would have cost me $4900US, crating and all. It is about 20-40 hours work, any people who take months and months to build it are either sticking in one little piece every few days, are old and senile and stick on one piece wrong every couple days, or are people who have no do-it yourself attitude or skill. To the initiated, and those who like to build things....this thing is a joke to build...it uses mono-shock suspension for Pete's sake....
You getting batteries for free?  Looking at their site it is $4800+shipping with out batteries

Dan