Author Topic: 5 kW Motor and VEC300 72V Controller question  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Pablo

• Confirmed
5 kW Motor and VEC300 72V Controller question
« on: October 05, 2017, 06:19:57 PM »
Hi all! I've these questions regarding these two items, if you guys can please englight me I will be very greatful:

1) Can I set up the VEC300 72V controller to 48V so it can work with a 48V Battery pack ? (the output for the motor must be 48V)

2) To make that set up the controller has to be energized ?

3) If yes, at what voltage? The default I think is 72V, do I need a power supply that delivers 72V or if I use the battery pack (48V) it will work?

4) Do I need to make a bridge to close the circuit in the e-lock or it doesn't matter for configuration?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 5 kW Motor and VEC300 72V Controller question
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 12:27:03 PM »
Hi Pablo andto the forum.

I have not had any direct experience with the VEC-300 controllers so I don't know whether the 72v Controller will work on a 48V battery, but if the 48V option is available in the program setting software, I would suggest that you simply try it out and see if it works, as you shouldn't be able to damage the controller with a lower than expected voltage.

I don't know if the VEC-300 controller needs to be powered up like the vector controllers in the hub motors, but if it does, I would expect a 48V battery to have sufficient voltage for this purpose. (The vector hub motor controllers can run on 24V, 36V or 48V batteries, but I have used a single 12V battery as a power source just for programming purposes.)

I don't know if the e-lock function will affect the controller programming mode, but you should be able to easily bridge it if required.

Alan