Author Topic: Regen Braking BLDC Controller (48V)  (Read 5260 times)

Offline Electrobent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Regen Braking BLDC Controller (48V)
« on: July 02, 2008, 03:59:34 AM »
The controller I ordered off the GM website about a month ago arrived today.  It looks like they took a board from the stock 36V model and beefed it up by soldering large buss bars onto the board.  It looks "home modified" but the work is good and there was even heat sink goo between the aluminum bar behind the FETs and the case.  I will probably seal up the end caps a little better but overall this is some of the best craftsmanship I have seen come out of China.  What is not good is documentation.  I do not know if this controller has a cutoff voltage.  It is sufficiently different from the boards written up on endless sphere.

Offline Electrobent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
another picture--the bottom of the board and case
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 04:01:35 AM »
here's another picture

Offline Electrobent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
better top picture
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 04:10:18 AM »
I guess you are allowed up to 4 up to 1MB files
Sorry for the series of posts but here is a clearer picture of the top of the board and case as well.

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Regen Braking BLDC Controller (48V)
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 08:32:43 AM »
Good timing I just ordered one of those myself and was wondering about the differences also.  Keep us informed on how the motor does on the 48 volts. Hope it is a nice improvement as it's costing a bit to do the upgrade.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 09:33:21 PM by biohazardman »

Offline Electrobent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Regen Braking BLDC Controller (48V)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 05:53:32 PM »
I should add that I asked Philip Yao how to program it and he said that there will soon be available an external programming box.

I posted the same pictures at endless-sphere and people there were pretty impressed--comparing it to a Kelly controller. 

So I have to wait for the programmer box or buy additional NiMH cells to get me above the default cutoff voltage which ought to be around 40 volts.