Author Topic: rim vs pothole  (Read 4714 times)

Offline sdalli

• Confirmed
rim vs pothole
« on: June 20, 2008, 07:28:11 AM »
i recently bent my rim by hitting a pothole at 30km/hr and its pretty ruined now. where can I find a rim which can be fitted to this motor? because the number of spoke holes doesn't seem to be a standard or at least it's not common. I have someone working on the rim but most probably he won't manage to shape it into a circle again.

Offline philf

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: rim vs pothole
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 12:01:37 PM »
Have a look at this thread on this very forum...

http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=280.0

We feel your pain...

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
Re: rim vs pothole
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 08:25:50 PM »
i recently bent my rim by hitting a pothole at 30km/hr and its pretty ruined now. where can I find a rim which can be fitted to this motor? because the number of spoke holes doesn't seem to be a standard or at least it's not common. I have someone working on the rim but most probably he won't manage to shape it into a circle again.

Ouch!

Your motor should have 36 spokes, which is pretty standard for a lot of mountain bikes. If you do a Google search for 36 hole 26" rim you should get a slew of results pointing to different outfits that will sell you one. Also, a local bike shop should be able to source one for you without much problem, and should be able to mount it for you as well. Just make sure it's a sturdy double-wall rim (as opposed to the cheapo single-wall piece of aluminum foil that comes from Golden!), will work with rim brakes (as opposed to disk brakes) and you should be set.

Once you get the rim it is possible to swap them out & lace up the new one yourself, but it's not an easy job. On mine I did the lacing and had a bike shop do the final truing, but if I were to do it again I'd just have them do the whole job.