Author Topic: Cruise control?  (Read 15216 times)

Offline norkmeister

Cruise control?
« on: March 01, 2008, 06:19:38 AM »
Anyone thought of having some sort of cruise control?  On a 16 km commute I imagine that my right hand is going to get a bit sore from holding the throttle on all the time and the ability to change hand position would be nice without having to back off on the throttle.  Has anyone done this?

Cheers,
Jeremy.

Offline martinko

• Confirmed
Re: Cruise control?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 08:47:32 AM »
Anyone thought of having some sort of cruise control?  On a 16 km commute I imagine that my right hand is going to get a bit sore from holding the throttle on all the time and the ability to change hand position would be nice without having to back off on the throttle.  Has anyone done this?

I was thinking of this myself. Recently I talked to a guy on the phone who does rides of about 150km. He has found a simple solution: He puts some electrician's tape into the throttle to avoid that it jumps back to zero when you release it. This is of course just a hack but could work. I have not yet tried myself, though.

Cheers
Martin

Offline norkmeister

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 09:08:59 AM »
My initial thoughts were some sort of hinged and spring loaded metal pin which you could swing over into a series of holes drilled into the twist grip.  Realistically I suppose one at full throttle would be enough.

Offline Tommybike

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 11:11:45 AM »
Martinco,  How is this guy getting a range of 150Km?  thats over 90 miles,  which is almost 4 hours continuous at the wheels top speed.  You'd need maybe 30-40 ampere hour batteries unless you're doing most of the cycling yourself.

Offline martinko

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 12:55:41 PM »
Martinco,  How is this guy getting a range of 150Km?  thats over 90 miles,  which is almost 4 hours continuous at the wheels top speed.  You'd need maybe 30-40 ampere hour batteries unless you're doing most of the cycling yourself.

He has 4 pieces of LiPo 40Vx10Ah Batteries with him, weight about 10kg, which seems feasible for me. A little expensive (1.400€), but doable.

Cheers
Martin

Offline martinko

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 11:39:11 AM »
Another thought on this:

Wouldn't it be nice, especially for longer rides, to have something like a constant-current-option for a cruise control? When I know, that I have 15Ah in my batteries, and I want to reach my destination with it, I know that I can use, eg 7A for 2hours, or 5A for 3hours. I can then check the speed for both and decide for the option that will bring me home best, how much power do I have to put in pedaling, how much can I afford to take from the batteries.

Has anybody experimented here? Of course I can think of hacks, like having an Amperemeter on, and adjusting the throttle always. But removing the human feedback loop would be nice of course, something like a electrical-current-restriction tool, that can be set to some typical values...

Greatful for any hints.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 05:21:48 PM by martinko »

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 04:09:16 PM »
I believe the cycle analyst has some form of current limiting and cruise capability in its latest form.

Offline martinko

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 11:02:37 PM »
I believe the cycle analyst has some form of current limiting and cruise capability in its latest form.

could you be a bit more specific on this, please?
do you mean this site http://www.cycleanalystinc.com?
a search here does not seem to lead to anything useful...

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 01:01:08 AM »
Found it:  http://www.ebikes.ca/drainbrain.shtml

Looks like it has current and speed limiting, although not necesarily a cruise control.  You could probably make it so you have a switch that gives full-throttle, and then the speed limiting feature would keep you below the top speed.  It might take some tinkering to figure out.

Offline martinko

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 12:38:08 PM »
Found it:  http://www.ebikes.ca/drainbrain.shtml

Looks like it has current and speed limiting, although not necesarily a cruise control.  You could probably make it so you have a switch that gives full-throttle, and then the speed limiting feature would keep you below the top speed.  It might take some tinkering to figure out.

Great site, very nice logo, thanks again.

The shop names it with the word I was looking for, without being able to name it: "Tempomat": Try to keep constant speed. This is IMO exactly what it should be. The other option should be "Current-o-mat". I'll check it out.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 12:40:43 PM by martinko »

johnnyfr

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
That's what I call a good idea.

Offline ahend

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 01:55:07 AM »
I have thought about a cruise control for a while and have some ideas.

Creating an electronic cruise control for the golden motor controller should be fairly straight forward. The basic idea is to set and hold a 0-5v signal to the controller’s throttle input line. The throttle may then be released, and the controller will continue to drive the motor.

A crude version of this idea could be as simple as a potentiometer controlled voltage divider circuit with a mechanical on off switch. Close the switch and adjust the speed where you want it with the potentiometer. A couple diodes are added for throttle circuit protection.

Tests of my throttle assembly reveal that the motor does not start working until about 1.2 volts are present on the throttle input. At maximum speed, the throttle is putting out around 4.3 volts. The throttle sources around 40 micro amps of current to the controller. The potentiometer and resistor in the above circuit are sized to closely approximate that signal level.

A more elegant and user friendly solution would be to use a cheap micro controller and an analog to digital convertor to sample the throttle signal level when an input button is pressed, and then output a cruise control signal that approximates it. A micro controller can easily output a variable 0 to +5v signal using pulse width modulation.

This configuration would “grab” whatever speed signal was present on the throttle when the set button is pushed and lock the controller to it. It would be a safer solution as well. You could monitor the controller’s inhibit signal from the brake levers and cut out the cruise control when the brakes are applied. A resume button could also be added to ramp up the throttle to the cruise level, after stopping or slowing down.

The components for the micro processor version should be under $10 easily. In the next week or so I will try to put a working example together and post the results.

Andy

Offline ahend

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 08:04:48 PM »
After a bit of tinkering I was able to build a prototype electronic cruise control using a Microchip PIC16F684 microcontroller. At this point I’m fine tuning the software and investigating how best to integrate the Golden Motor controller’s inhibit signal. At present I have set, stop, and resume functionality – well mostly.

The PIC16F684 is set up to assume complete throttle control by first sampling the signal from the throttle assembly on an input pin and then emulating the signal via pulse width modulation to an output pin. The PWM output signal required a low pass filter to smooth it out and make it presentable to the controller. As a consequence of this filter, the output signal is attenuated slightly. To counter the reduced output, I fed in another analog voltage which is added to the throttle signal digitally. This “trim” voltage is set with a small potentiometer and is adjusted to just allow full throttle when the throttle is opened fully. With the trim set properly, the throttle functions almost identically to the original. I set the PWM control to run at 15kHz, giving the output 8 bit resolution. That seems to be adequate (5/256=0.0195 volts per step), but I could lower the PWM frequency to get 9 bit resolution if need be. I would be surprised if the Golden Motor controller were sampling the throttle at a resolution higher than 8 bit. With the throttle now under digital control, setting a cruise output is simple.

The system is powered from the +5VDC supply lead that runs to the throttle assembly, so it can be patched in pretty easily. Currently, the system will hold a cruise output, based on the throttle position, with a button push, and turn off with another button push. I’m currently tweaking the resume function code but it will ramp the throttle up, or down, to the setpoint from the current throttle position.

I have not put the project in any container yet, it’s all on breadboard. To keep it small and tidy, I may pot it in black silicone so that power, throttle, and button wires can be molded in.

When I get the code somewhat finalized I will post it, along with a schematic and bill of materials. I should have some test results soon as well. I have about $4 of electronics into the current design, minus a few momentary push buttons. To make the system fail safe, I would most likely need to add a small reed relay and some more code.  If anyone is interested, and I get the wrinkles ironed out, I’d be more than happy to program a PIC and send it out to you.

Andy 

Offline sdalli

• Confirmed
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 10:55:43 AM »
can't you just remove the return spring on the throttle assambly?

Offline shakkan

• Confirmed
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 01:15:13 PM »
this is what ive done-allso makes right turns easer as you can keep your right hand out all the time.you have to watch when you plug in/turn on key at the start or the bike goes off.easer on the wrist