Author Topic: New Build Electric Bike Help Needed  (Read 12877 times)

Offline Badbaz

• Confirmed
New Build Electric Bike Help Needed
« on: September 30, 2009, 03:42:24 PM »
H All, First Post so go easy on me,
Have just started to build my son his first electric bike (rear wheel 750w 36v Golden Motor Kit) have fitted rear wheel which is not correcly aligned it more to one sie that the other? is this normal or have I done something wrong? also fitted the freewheel gear cogs and they seem to stick when tighten almost seems they are rubbing on the motor housing? for info the wheel seems more towards the wire side of the frame ie the non gear side..

Please help

Thanks

BAz
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:15:03 PM by Badbaz »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: New Build Electric Bike Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 10:44:16 AM »
Hi and welcome Baz,

Standard rear wheels are usually dished (have the rim offset) to allow for the extra width of the freewheel on one side. With the much larger diameter hubmotor this is not so easy to accomplish, so the wheel will need to be centred by spacing the axle correctly.

Read this post for more details

Regarding the sticking freewheel, it sounds like you might have to remove the freewheel, and refit using a suitable shim/washer in order to prevent it from rubbing against the hub boss.

Just had a look at your pictures and spotted that there are some washers which should be fitted inside the dropouts (on the non freewheel side), not outside them, which will make a slight difference, but probably not enough.

Alan

N.B. Golden Motor Wheels support most 3 to 6 speed freewheels.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:29:09 PM by Bikemad »

Offline ccbreder

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 11:28:23 AM »
I would suggest using a smaller free wheel, maybe a 5 at most. The alternative is to have the hub re-spoked. Too many washers on the outside of the frame  is not good.

Offline Badbaz

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 04:42:04 PM »
Thanks for your comments, have made some progress,

Reduced Gears to a five Freewheel which has made some improvements and as surgested I am adding a washer inside freewheel hub to stop it locking up, still looking for a washer that will fit!

One question I have is do I need to use the spacer tube supplied with the wheel only have one on gear side?

also am I ok to use spacer washers on other side of wheel (cable side) to feel gap?

Will keep you posted

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 10:58:08 PM »
One question I have is do I need to use the spacer tube supplied with the wheel only have one on gear side?

also am I ok to use spacer washers on other side of wheel (cable side) to feel gap?

Baz,

Use the spacer tube provided on the freewheel side.

I would try and find/make up a suitable spacer tube for the other side, long enough to centre the wheel, but you will need to spread the frame gently to accept the wider spacer. (A scissor jack comes in handy for this)

Click to enlarge

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:26:54 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Badbaz

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 07:49:42 AM »
Thanks Alan,

Great idea on car jack, my wheel is slowly moving the right way need another 15m but have no more space on gear side frame forks (dropouts I think you call them) is only a couple of millermeters away from gear cluster, so I need to move that side out a bit will try and let you know

Building a electric bike is a jouney on its own!!

Offline Philip Lynott

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 09:28:14 AM »
Building an electric bike is no where near as easy as GM and other companys describe it.

Every weekend for the past 8 months I've had to spend hours fixing or revising my bike, it still beats the bus though.

Offline Badbaz

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 09:31:53 AM »
Have now used Alan's idea of wheel jack and it's worked a treat, now need to make some spacer tubes, I presume these butt up against the inside of the wheel on both side and then have a washer before they meet the forks / dropouts....

any idea as to where to scorce them? one will be 37m the other 21m  ???

Thanks for all your help keep it comming.....

BArry

Offline Badbaz

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 09:30:50 AM »
Hi All

Rear Wheel now on with spacers both sides and washers in correct position, thanks to all

I have a question relating to regen when I spin the hub/wheel it slows quickly is that the regen or just the strengh of the magnets?

Also is the Magic controler standard with Regen? I bought the Cruise control model if that helps

I ask this as I have also noticed if the ends of the cable touch as they did while I was fitting the wheel seems to have a built in break and is much harder to turn

thanks in advance for your wisdom....

BAz

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 11:06:50 AM »
I have a question relating to regen when I spin the hub/wheel it slows quickly is that the regen or just the strengh of the magnets?

Also is the Magic controler standard with Regen? I bought the Cruise control model if that helps

I ask this as I have also noticed if the ends of the cable touch as they did while I was fitting the wheel seems to have a built in break and is much harder to turn.

Baz,

Good to hear it's coming together nicely.

From your description, it sounds like the slowing of the wheel is purely down the magnets.
When you turn the wheel very slowly, you should be able to feel the magnets pulling slightly, which might feel slightly lumpy/jerky.
If it is very stiff to to turn, check that it is not binding on the spacers,washers or brakes etc.

The Magic Controller does have regen as standard, which will start to work when either of the the brake lever switches are operated.

Touching the three motor cables together will give a strong braking effect, just like regenerative braking.

Alan

Offline AndyW

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 12:40:14 PM »
Hi All,
I’m in a similar position to Badbaz in that I have just received my motor (36V500W rear) and I’m starting to build it in to my bike.  I have not received the battery and charger yet, but from what I read in other posts this is not too uncommon.

I’m and electronics engineer not mechanical or bicycle so these questions may seem simple to you guys.

I have an alloy hybrid bike with 135mm rear dropouts.  My intention is to fit a 5 speed freewheel to keep the size down so that I can have the wheel moved over in the direction of the freewheel as far as possible.   Even with this freewheel, the wheel is still out from the centreline of the bike.   I cannot spread the forks as they are alloy.
Q, Is it a big problem, will the bike ride ok, what will the affects be of 10 -15mm mis alignment?

Is it possible to have a bike shop dish the wheel to improve the alignment or is not possible or necessary?

When spinning the wheel I notice a hop in that the hub and wheel are not perfectly on the same axis.
Q Is it a big problem, will the bike ride ok, what will the affects be of 5mm mis alignment (I don’t want to look like a clown going up and down)?

Sorry to ask yet again but my motor only has one spacer tube fitted on the freewheel side, do I definitely need to fit one to the wire side (taking the connector off)?

Thanks
Andy

Offline Badbaz

• Confirmed
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 04:08:01 PM »
Thanks Alan
Yet again you are the fountain of all knowledge!!

Andy

Good Luck with your Bike, I do have a question for you Did you recieve the back Bracket for the battery along with the Silver sliding Plate? as this is what I got

Im missing:
Battery
Charger
Contol box Housing along with all nuts and Bolts if supplied?

is this the same with you?

BAz

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 12:58:32 PM »

Hi andto the forum Andy.

I've only just read your post, so I hope this reply is not too late.

The wheel is still out from the centreline of the bike.   I cannot spread the forks as they are alloy.
Q, Is it a big problem, will the bike ride ok, what will the affects be of 10 -15mm mis alignment?

So long as the wheel fits securely and the brakes can be adjusted so they work correctly without rubbing, then it should not be a major problem.  It will obliviously affect the handling to some extent, but hopefully not too much.

Is it possible to have a bike shop dish the wheel to improve the alignment or is not possible or necessary?

When spinning the wheel I notice a hop in that the hub and wheel are not perfectly on the same axis.
Q Is it a big problem, will the bike ride ok, what will the affects be of 5mm mis alignment (I don’t want to look like a clown going up and down)?

If the rim is definitely 5mm out (assuming it's not just a tyre that needs reseating correctly) the wheel will need to be trued up.  If the rim is not concentric with the hub it will give uneven braking and the ride will be uncomfortable at higher speeds.

If the rim can be offset at the same time it's bound to help, but I don't think the spokes on the non freewheel side will be long enough to  centralise the wheel in the frame.

Sorry to ask yet again but my motor only has one spacer tube fitted on the freewheel side, do I definitely need to fit one to the wire side (taking the connector off)?

The additional spacer tube is used to extend the axle's internal fitting width, to match the wider dropouts when they have been spread in order to centre the wheel.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Alan

Offline AndyW

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 01:13:13 PM »
Hi BAz,

Sorry it has taken a while to respond, posted then went on holiday, should of said.  I received the silver sliding plate and the black rack, but that was it.  I'm missing the same list as you.  But just got back from holiday today and a card from post office was waiting for me, telling me a parcel awaits me!  With luck it contains all the bits, fingers crossed.  Let me know if your bits come in.

Andy

Good Luck with your Bike, I do have a question for you Did you recieve the back Bracket for the battery along with the Silver sliding Plate? as this is what I got

Im missing:
Battery
Charger
Contol box Housing along with all nuts and Bolts if supplied?

is this the same with you?

BAz

Offline AndyW

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 01:46:57 PM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the info.

The rim is definitely out, non concentric (no tyre fitted), it seems out just in one area. I need to fix the hub in the frame and mark the wheel up with care.  I will try to fix it myself and if that fails or I make it worse I'll have to take it to the shop.

To clarify the spacer side of things. You say the additional spacer tube is used to extend the axle's internal fitting width, to match the wider dropouts.  So if on the wire side, the axle shoulders with slotted washer fitted fix to the frame ok, no tube required?  If I manage to move the wheel over with the use of a 3 or 5 speed freewheel and the axle shoulder on the wire side does not line up with the frame (there is a gap), I should fit a new tube over the axle to run from the bearing to the frame?

PS I've just spotted your drawing of hub and spacer on another post and I think that answers my question really well.

Many thanks

Andy

If the rim is definitely 5mm out (assuming it's not just a tyre that needs reseating correctly) the wheel will need to be trued up.  If the rim is not concentric with the hub it will give uneven braking and the ride will be uncomfortable at higher speeds.

If the rim can be offset at the same time it's bound to help, but I don't think the spokes on the non freewheel side will be long enough to  centralise the wheel in the frame.

The additional spacer tube is used to extend the axle's internal fitting width, to match the wider dropouts when they have been spread in order to centre the wheel.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Alan

« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 01:57:23 PM by AndyW »